Unlimited access >

Estimating mature height of a 2 year old?

It’s like asking how long is a piece of string?

I bought a 16.3hh 3yo hanoverian gelding. He looked “done” and parents were 16.3 and 17hh. Between 3 and 6yo he grew another hand, and topped out at just under 18hh!

I have a few homebreds:
-The gelding is by a 16.1 1/2 stallion out of a 15.3hh dam. He was 14.3 as a 2yo. He’s now 4yo, and still about 14.3. He’s chunked out for sure, but I don’t think he’s grown more than half an inch in the last 2 years. I was hoping he’d finish out at mom’s height, but nope, I’ve got a fancy hony I have no idea what to do with.
-The filly is sired by same 16.1 1/2 WB and dam is a big bodied 16.2. The filly had a very rough start in life, which may have impacted her final size. She was about 14.2hh as a 2yo, and now, at 4yo, she’s about 15.3 and butt high and narrow, so looks like she might get another inch or so before she’s done.
-Last one is 3/4 welsh, so a different story from my WBs above. He’s by a section B out of a 14.2 welsh x QH dam (who’s full brother finished at almost 15hh). This one was probably 13.1 as a 2yo and I hoped/expected he’d finish as a top of the line medium. He’s 3yo this year and last time I measured him he was 13.3.

So, like the snug T shirt that shrinks in the wash, while the loose fit clothing you want to shrink never does, murphy is a dick when it comes to horses. If you want them to grow bigger for your long legs, they stop growing at 3 and stay petite-bodied. If you want them to stay smaller, they keep growing till they’re 7yo and shoot up another hand and a half. Genetics are part of it. So is nutrition. But sometimes they just go their own way… one of many reasons why breeding is a crapshoot.

2 Likes

Totally get it! If for any reason he doesn’t make a height I need I think he’ll be a pretty easy resale.

He passed the vetting with flying colors! I’m so very excited, and also crossing everything that he gets to at least 16.1! Thanks all!

OP I am curious how tall did your horse grow?

Hi- I sold him on because he wasn’t going to be what I needed ultimately but I believe he’s around 16hh/16.1hh now. I have another youngster from the same farm but different breeding. He’s 2.5 at the very end of December and is already 16hh/16.1hh at his hip and growing again. He’s a much different type and much bigger boned in general. His full brother is 17.2+ and his sire is 17.1/17.2hh.

1 Like

I have a 9 year old home bred WB. Dam was 15.1 and sire was 16.1. At 2 she was 14.2h. At 4 she was 15h but still very immature physically. I broke her at 4 and it felt like trying to ride the fence line, she was just that narrow. I resigned myself to selling because I felt just way too big on her. I’m only 5’7" but I am all leg as well and my legs hung way past her belly. I never could quite bring myself to sell because she is the closest thing that I ever got to her mother in the 4 babies I got out of her and I wanted a carbon copy of the dam. The only thing I would have been happy with as a deviation to the dam was height. Some where between 6 and 7 she finally bulked up and now while she is only 15.2 1/2 hh she is almost as wide as she is tall and She feels very solid under me and really takes up my leg. My trainer who hadn’t seen her since her 5 year old year couldn’t believe it was the same horse when she saw her last year.

Currently I have a hunter bred appendix long yearling (born April of '22) who is already 15.1 at the shoulder and is still super butt high. She seems to change every day. Her dam is 16.1hh and her sire is 16.2hh. She string tests to be 16.3/17 hh. I’m not sure where the height is coming from but I can’t wait to see what she looks like at 3.

2 Likes

This is a great reminder that these WB babies truly aren’t fully mature until they hit the 6-8 year mark and to not pull the trigger on selling them too soon! Thank you!

3 Likes

If I had sold my WB I would have regretted it for the rest of my life. She is such an amazing horse and is very close to what I wanted when I bred her dam. It just took us super long to get there. WB’s in my mind just take so long to completely mature. My Appendix looks so much more mature as a long yearling that my WB did at this age.

4 Likes

My filly will be 4 in April and is still the same 15.2 she has been since she turned 2. She is now 15.2 wide so at least she takes up some leg. She is turned out for the winter after spending 5 months being started so hopefully that jump starts a growth spurt. It’s hard to give up hope but also hard to imagine if she hasn’t grown at all in two years that she will start now.

3 Likes

My former gelding really wasn’t obviously growing while I had him either. My current 2.5 year old is still going through spurts where he’s butt high and actively growing. I think he’ll be a pretty good size, 16.2-17hh.

1 Like