Unlimited access >

Estimating mature height of a 2 year old?

I’m vetting a 2 year old WB gelding (born in late May) that is currently 15.2hh and butt high. Lovely, lovely horse that ticks all my boxes-super brain, jumps great, 10+ mover, but I’m a bit concerned about his height. He strings tests to 16.1 1/2 - 16.2 two different ways. Sire is 16.1, dam is 16.2. He’s registered Westfalen, but half TB. He does live out 24/7, and I’ve heard that sometimes a better nutrition program can really help with growth, and some 2 year olds have grown a hand between years 2 and 3! This breeder purposely doesn’t over feed to try to avoid OCD which I think is a plus. He’s not really under weight at all, but not heavy either. I’m only worried about it as I’m 5’8 and all leg (and heavier then I should be, but this is a great motivator to get my butt in gear!). He does appear like he will have a ton of body to him, which would help!

On the flipside, if for some reason he doesn’t get big enough for me, I think he’d be a very easy re-sell due to all of the things I love about him. I know the size thing is a bit of a crap shoot, just looking to see if his string test height is a realistic possibility. I’m super excited about him! I can provide his full pedigree if that helps too. Thanks everyone!

It can happen - I bought a 2 year old GRP , advertised as 14.1hh, vet checked at 14.1hh, but when she arrived here…13.2hh :no: She looked super immature, even for a two year old, string tested to 14.2hh and her full siblings are in that range, so I remained hopeful.
At 3, she measured 14.1hh.
A few weeks ago, we all started thinking she looked bigger suddenly. She now measures just a hair under 15hh, and she looks like she wants to grow a little more and certainly has a lot more filling out to do. So, in the end I have got my wish for an oversized pony. She grew 3” this past spring/summer as a 4 year old!

That being said, my other mare matured almost a full hand shorter than anyone would have expected, so I guess you never know!

ETA: Keep in mind the string test is assuming the horse is averagely proportionate. A leggier built horse might not grow as tall as it would indicate, while a big bodied one with shorter legs proportionately might get bigger.

Thanks for the input! Glad your filly grew so much for you! This guy is definitely not the leggiest boy, and already has quite a bit of body!

1 Like

My horse grew a lot after he turned 2. About two hands taller. For reference, he’s a QH / Friesian cross and is a hand taller than both of his parents

That’s great to hear too! I know that it’s based a ton on genetics. He does have some Welstern blood in him, and I’ve talked to a few people who have had Welstern relatives that have been huge. And again, I hope that as he gets some better/more specialized nutrition, that will help as well!

General rule of thumb in TB types is add 2 hands to 12-month height, and 1 hand to 24-month height. My full TB 2yo was a little over 14.3 at 12 months, close to 16h at 24 months (in Feb), and is currently 16.1h. He string tests to 16.3, and I expect that’s where he’ll finish. He is very deep in the body and shoulder, not extremely leggy, so I don’t think he’ll make 17h.

My other homebred was 14h at 12 months, barely 15h at 24 months, and stayed at 15.3 from age 3-5. Finally at 6 months, he measured a true 16h.

My horse grew a lot after he turned 2. About two hands taller. For reference, he’s a QH / Friesian cross and is a hand taller than both of his parents

Great to know! I’d be happy with a hand over where he’s at now for sure. I talked to the breeder and she said that his full brother (the first foal for the dam) was well on his way to 16.3hh when he was sold. She also said that these babies are slower to mature, and normally grow until they’re 5-6. I think I can’t go wrong with this guy. Cross your fingers for me that he vets!

I have one that just finished at 4, but he was also huge at 2.

My friend had a TB gelding that grew up until 6, very slowly too.

I also know horses that never grew past the age of 2 1/2.

All of these ‘string tested’ much different results.

I have a horse who put on 2" the year he was 5. Another grew and popped a wither at 7.

1 Like

Touch of Class was 16 hands according to what I’m finding today (although I swear back in the day she was reported to be 15.2). Joe Fargis is 6’ 2". Don’t sweat the height. If height is REALLY that important to you, you need to be looking at horses that are already at least as tall as your minimum or accept the fact that you may be doing some flipping if a young purchase doesn’t wind up meeting your lowest acceptable mark.

1 Like

Got my oldenburg gelding when he was 2 1/2 and 15.2 hh. At just turned four he’s just under 16+ and starting to bulk up. Not sure where he’ll finish, mom was 16.1 and dad was 16.2. I’m also 5’8” and while I was a little worried about the height issue when he was a gangly 15.3 hand 3 year old just starting under saddle, he’s really put on muscle and started filling out in the last few months and takes up plenty of leg.

My 2 year old full WB grew an entire hand from 1-2. He is now just under 15 hands and I expect him to be 15’2 or 15’3. He is not leggy, wide-bodied. And I wanted something in that range. I don’t expect him to hit 16 hands.

Thanks everyone! I am really excited about him and think that his height will not at all be an issue.

He sounds lovely, and like you say would probably be an easy enough resale.
I’ve currently got 3 horses.
Horse 1 was purchased as a 4yo, now 17. Holsteiner x tb. He was lanky and narrow as a young horse, filled out around 6 years old and easily takes up the leg. He grew about an inch after we bought him.
Horse 2 was purchased as a yearling, now 11. Oldenburg. He matured very, very slowly. Very lanky and narrow. When he was a 3yo my feet were almost hanging below his belly, now they only go 2/3 of the way down. From 3-7 he probably grew another 3-4", and filled out a lot.
Horse 3 was purchased as a weanling, now 3. RPSI/Westfalen. Every day that we have had her she looks like she could go show on the line. Easy keeper, very proportionate. I haven’t sticked her, but I would guess she’s only 15.2hh. Even as a 2yo I suspected that she wasn’t going to get much taller. She easily takes up my leg, and as long as I sit up I don’t look big on her (I’m 5’5" with a long femur). I hope that she hits 16hh, but either way I think she’ll have the step for the hunter ring so I’m not too worried.

1 Like

Thanks again all! Vetting him this Thursday, cross your fingers for me!

1 Like

My 17 hand Dutch warmblood gelding was the first foal out of his 16 hand dam. His sire was 16.1 who threw an average height of 16.2 hands. I bought him when he was 20 months old. I never excepted him to get so big! Thankfully he is a very gentle giant 😁

1 Like

Yep, that’s the general rule - add 2 hands to the 12 month height, add 1h to the 24 month height.

So, it’s very common for them to grow a full hand from 12-24 months :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iv’e had good results to within 1/2” with string tests.

and several late growers.
One gelding grew 3” between 6 and 7 years old.
my Trakehner was barely 16.1 what I got him as a 5 year old. In a year he was 16.3 plus.
don’t sweat the hight.

1 Like

Thanks again everyone! Of course, he has an abcess and we had to reschedule the vetting until next Friday. 🤦🏻”â™€ï¸ Hopefully I make it through the week!