Euthanasia, what do I need to know

Do not feel compelled to be there. I had to put my beloved mare down a year ago (laminitis) and it was heart wrenching but I wanted to see her released from pain. I sat with her body after but the man who came to dig her grave wouldn’t let me watch him put her in it.

I also was with a friend’s horse when he was euthanized this year (EPM complications). My friend couldn’t watch but she loved on her boy until the end.

In both cases, the vets and vet techs were extremely kind and compassionate. The horses were treated with respect and honor. They felt love right up until the end. If it’s too much for you, don’t feel you need to be there and know that by ending your horse’s pain you are making the kindest choice for them.

8 Likes

I’m so sorry you are having to go through this - its heartbreaking. Don’t feel badly if you don’t want to be there, you need to do what’s best for you.

I had to put my daughter’s horse down at the vet clinic, he had gone downhill rapidly and was in tremendous pain. She was out of town, so couldn’t say goodbye but I went to make peace with the decision (there wasn’t really a choice). He was on so much pain medication, he was unaware that I was there. I wasn’t emotionally able to stay for the euth, but the vet and a friend who was disposing of the body, assured me they would lay him down respectfully and be with him when he passed. The vet called after to tell me he’d gone peacefully and with dignity.

Many hugs to you and your sweet horse, it’s never easy…

5 Likes

I completely agree with Fivestrideline - you do not have to be there. Assuming your horse is accustomed to being handled by others, your absence probably won’t be noticed. But if you are there, crying, stressed, upset, will that be noticed? Probably. Think about what would be the kindest option for your horse - a bunch of relatively emotionless strangers handling her, or you handling her, but noticeably upset?

It’s different with dogs - most dogs are not as accustomed to being handled by strangers, and most people do euthanasias at a vet clinic, which is already very stressful for them (although there are lots of at-home euthanasia options which I encourage everyone to look into). So for dogs, I think it does matter (now, is it better we be there, but crying, or absence, without intense emotions? I think we probably have to evaluate each situation case by case).

I very much appreciate the situation you’re in. I’ve been thinking about it myself as I may be in the same boat. I’m very close with my horse, and I think I’ll be a blubbering mess if/when we have to do it. I don’t know if I can hold it together enough to be there with her, and am not sure if my blubbering will upset her at all, or even be noticed. I know horses are very attuned to our emotions, but it’s not clear how easily upset they would be to see their human upset (like it clearly would with a dog).

Regardless, you do not need to be there if it would be too much for you. You have my deepest sympathies.

10 Likes

Here is a bit of practical advice …

As has been mentioned, you need a plan for what happens to the body afterward, a plan made and scheduled beforehand. It can be hard making those phone calls, setting dates & times, but just think of it as part of the process, as with so many other things you have done for your horse over the years.

If you want burial on your property, know that there are some regulations in many areas because large animals buried in the ground can have effects on the ground water. However if this is the first one on your property, I wouldn’t worry about that too much. If the grave(s) aren’t visible from another property or the road I might pass on the whole drama with regulations, a drama which I think is sometimes over-rated. What they don’t know … but anyway just a heads up.

There are cremation services if that suits you better. But not as many for horses as for small animals. You need one that will pick up, so it may depend on what is available in your area (or your horse’s area if he doesn’t live with you).

Cremation for a horse yields such an enormous package of ash/etc. (not necessarily all your one horse) that you might prefer a simpler small box of ash and some tail hairs. These are options the service will discuss with you. The price varies significantly to get more back.

Which brings us to the next ‘what do I need to know’ point –

You need to plan in a fair amount of detail where, when, what else and who else needs to be there, as well as how.

Where will the body fall, how long will it be there, do you want to cover it and with what, how accessible is that location to whatever will move the body its final rest. Who must be there and when (pick-up service, backhoe), and who do you just want to be there for support. So that is a lot of setting dates/times and gathering necessary things.

If you need a lot of ancillary services or assistance, and/or your horse is not located close to the services you want/need, euthanizing a horse can turn into a coordination effort like a community picnic. Hopefully it won’t be that complicated.

My last horse’s home barn didn’t allow burial on the property, and was (surprisingly) a bit squeamish about the euth taking place there. Even out of sight of anyone who was not involved. So my initial idea of letting him go peacefully in back of his own barn, with a cover over him until a pick-up service could come, became increasingly awkward. Especially sensitive was the time the body would be there until pick-up, even covered and out of sight. Would never have guessed they would have this outlook. They had many horses on a large property and of course lost a few over the years. But they were remarkably not helpful or prepared for a boarder euth.

In addition, the barn was too far away for the pick-up service I wanted. After calling vets for references (some had some, some didn’t), scouring the internet, etc., I ended up with a different plan.

Early in the morning I trailered my horse 25 miles to a vet clinic who was in the pick-up range and was agreeable to euth, and to allow the body to stay in place, covered, waiting for pick-up. My horse was totally agreeable to load & go, he always enjoyed an outing. Fortunately the weather was a very pleasant day. I was prepared to spend time with him before the euth with peppermints and his favorite scritches and chat.

That’s how it finally worked out. I was very grateful to the accommodating clinic.

9 Likes

I came close to having this happen. I lost my mare to a strangulating lipoma and my gelding became so stressed he coliced 24 hours later. It was a rough day.

2 Likes

In October, I had two of my old girls euthanized. My 28 year old, Star Pattern (Vanna), was struggling with heaves and just wasn’t thriving. Her best friend, Vegas, was 30 years old and doing pretty well. Harder to keep weight on, but overall… pretty good for 30.

They were a bonded pair, having spent the last decade together. When they were apart, they looked for each other. I couldn’t bear to separate them, so I opted to euthanize both together. Vegas was euthanized first, because she’s always been a more sensitive mare. I didn’t want her to know a moment without Vanna. And did she struggle. She didn’t want to go. She fought the euthanasia, until she passed at Vanna’s feet.

Vanna was ready. I remember saying to my husband, “she’s gone” before she even hit the ground, just a few feet away from Vegas. The drug was injected, she sighed and closed her eyes (that’s when I felt, in my heart, that she was gone), stumbled a bit and slowly went down. I had known this mare from the time she was 2 years old on the racetrack, looked for her for much of my life and was lucky to find and own her for the last 12 years of her life.

We buried them together on our property, in their favourite paddock, side by side. Somehow, my husband was able to arrange their bodies perfectly in their grave.

I have a photo of the rest of our herd in another field, all lined up side by side, to pay their respects. Every single horse lined up at the fence, faced the field where my two mares were, and just waited until they were buried. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

A year before Vanna’s passing, her very first owner passed due to longterm health problems. One month following Vanna’s passing, the breeder who sold her to me passed away. We had kept in touch for all the years I owned her. 3 weeks following the breeder’s passing, her husband died suddenly too. I like to think that Vanna met them somewhere, to welcome them all.

15 Likes

We brought my mare’s best friend and pasture mate to where she was euthanized and that mare stood there, next to me and my mare’s body, for probably an hour without leaving or grazing. It was a very touching tribute. The sad part was the next time we turned her out in that field, she looked for Z – calling for her and racing back and forth.

1 Like

It is not mandatory you be there and it in no way reflects on how much she meant to you if you are there or not when the end comes. For some people it is worse to be there. Don’t be pressured to do something like that.

My mare is almost 20 now. I bought her as a weanling and she came up non weight bearing lame in Dec 2020 after galloping in the pasture one day.

Sidebone – vet said it was the beginning of the end for her.

Came back sound/ ridable for all of 2021 but come Spring of 2022 and she is lame at trot but pasture sound ( mildly off at times) and has been ever since. On the rare times she happens to run on it ( spooking or massive hail storms) she isn’t even walking well.

I know her days are numbered too and it is devastating to think of losing her . I would have to be there but everyone is different.

The bond with a special mare is unbelievable when you are lucky to have one. Do what you can handle.

3 Likes

Planning what to do with the body is definitely something to have figured out in advance. Many have mentioned burial or cremation, but for a lot of us those are not practical solutions. For years, the go to was the rendering truck (dead cow truck) but for my last two, I’ve used a composting service. It’s much nicer to think of your horse peacefully decomposing under a pile of mulch than whatever happens at the renderer. Both cost about the same last time I compared, which was at least 10 years ago. Now I have a 30 year old and should start preparing a plan again.

I’m one of those people who personally feel compelled to be there till the last minute, but I also think it’s perfectly fine for people to NOT be there, if that’s what works best for you.

3 Likes

Can you use a composting service with a chemical euthanasia? I thought a lot of the concerns with burials on properties was what happens when the body starts to decompose and leech into the ground and water table.

Here is the Cornell flier on composting and other options.

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/server/api/core/bitstreams/bd6e1a52-b78c-495f-8c8a-8168b0777039/content

I’ll just echo what everyone else said - as long as you have someone trusted to be there in your place, you don’t need to be present for the actual final act. My vet always has an assistant with him who can hold the rope if necessary.

And in terms of this - I’ve been there for 6 of my horses. Four were textbook. Two were not. Please know that there’s a chance of something going wrong. In situations like that, I’m able to set aside my feelings and deal with what’s at hand, but not everyone can.

As for your other horses - the answer is, it depends. I just euthanized my 31-year old mare this year. She was born here. She and my other two geldings had formed a pretty tight bond over the last few years, being the only three left. I fully expected both geldings to be right in the middle of things, and to come up later to sniff the body. They didn’t. They grazed nearby the entire time, and that was that.

7 Likes

Echo so many of the people who said you do not need to be there if you don’t feel you can. It’s so much better for the horse to have 1 or 2 very calm people (the vet and 1 other person, at most) to deal with it after sedation. Just went through a euthanasia in March :frowning: . My sister wanted to be there “for moral support”, but I respectfully declined. It wasn’t my 1st euth (unfortunately) and when my vet arrived she was glad it was just her and I, since she had been at euths where the whole family was there and the horse was totally stressed out. (We were together alone at the insemination so it only made sense we were together to let her go). Once the sedation kicks in, the horse isn’t too aware of who’s around anyway, so you could give the lead to a trusted helper and leave to deal with your feelings at a spot your horse can’t pick up your stress.
With my girl, for the first time in her life she followed the book and cooperated, without fighting the sedation needle even. She didn’t even flinch when the drug reached her, just folded her legs and softly lay on her side. :cry:

Huge hugs to you…

8 Likes

I have no advice, but hugs to you.

2 Likes

I don’t think burial is an option where the OP is. There’s one place that does cremation that I know of. Your vet can help you arrange a truck beforehand. Think about how the truck will get to the body. My vet prefers to walk the horse (sedated / medicated if necessary) to some place more or less out of sight to the rest of the horses but accessible for the hauler. You may or may not want to do it that way with your small herd versus at a larger boarding barn…may depend on how upset the youngsters get when she is taken away under normal circumstances. You also do not have to be there for every single moment if you don’t want to. When I had to put my last one down on the operating table, the surgeon asked if/when I wanted to say goodbye. I asked to see him while he was still under but alive (they draped over the surgical site). Cats (maybe dogs too, but I have no experience there) can kind of still in a sleeping like state right after, but to me, horses can sometimes be a bit grotesque…and they are clearly gone. Though maybe my experience with other horses isn’t typical? I did not want those kinds of visual memories of my horse. If all you can get to is the sedation part, that is totally fine and you are not a bad person!

I’m so sorry you are going through this. I think this is the worst part of it with animals…knowing and deciding when. It’s much harder on us than them to let them go.

1 Like

I was with my horse for the sedation but walked away and covered my ears before the second shot. I didn’t want to hear him hit the ground or the vet giving instructions, nor did I want that image to be my last memory of him. It’s something I’ve never regretted. It’s nice to hear about owners that have their horse’s head in their laps when they pass and I’ve done this with my dogs, but the possible panic or awkwardness the horse can have isn’t something I wanted to be part of.

Afterwards, she covered his eyes with a towel and we sat with him while she braided a section of his tail for me. When the removal truck came, I paid them and left. You definitely don’t want to be there for that.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you are facing this. It’s very hard. But the right thing to do for your friend.

You do not have to stay if you don’t want to.

At my last end of life service, my amazing vet team laid dear Norman down as he was going instead of letting him fall. I stayed with him until he was too sedated to acknowledge his favorite treats. My mom oversaw after I walked away and saw the care and risk the team took to not let him fall.

IME the living horses are distressed by the moving of the body of the deceased. Recommend planning to avoid letting the living horses see that part if possible. Yourself too if you’re concerned.

2 Likes

Whenever I have had an animal that was basically on hospice for whatever reason I vow to them that I will keep them comfortable by any means necessary and when I can no longer do that I will let them go. That means I don’t worry about things like causing ulcers from too much bute or causing liver failure from too much NSAIDS etc. The alternative is literally death so I don’t worry about potential side effects and just concentrate upon results.

Adding to those who say you do not need to be there if you don’t think it would be healthy for you mentally then don’t do it. Those last few minutes won’t erase all those years of living care you provided. Whether you do decide to stay with her or not I really really suggest you not stay there afterwards. I have been with countless horses when they pass but it is just too barbaric to watch the disposal. Whether they bury on the farm or haul away to a facility there is no delicate way to move that big of an animal.

I am sorry you are dealing with this but am sure you will make exactly the right decisions at exactly the right time.

3 Likes

If it is a boarding facility, and they do allow you to do the euth on the property, the location and time of day will be sensitive subjects.

Who will be on the premises and might be able to see what is going on, or see the body afterward, or see disposal.

Those were key factors that had me changing my plan from the barn to the vet clinic.

It is totally fair if you want to say your goodbyes and not be there. I wasn’t there for my late mare and I don’t regret that decision.

I do think it is important to know it doesn’t look or feel as peaceful as that of a small animal’s passing.

4 Likes