Euthanasia, what do I need to know

Both of mine that I sent out that way were chemically euthanized.

1 Like

What to know about euthanasia is that it totally and 100% su@ks. However, it can be the greatest gift we can give to our horses and other pets.

10 Likes

I looked into a composting company last fall. That one composted the animals on specific surfaces to prevent the leeching of anything that hadnā€™t been composted into safe substances. They had to follow very strict rules in order to prevent contamination of the ground and local water supply.

Unfortunately I was far outside their service area (three hours) and had to go with a disposal (incineration) company. I called in advance to find out when they were in my area. They required a call the day of death, which was the day before pick up, and a credit card for payment.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone, for your kind wisdom and assistance. I slipped into a depression and could not read the posts until today. I know I have to do it. While she is more comfortable on the bute protocol, she is still lame in walk. She is eating though and wandering around and grooming her boys. I am hoping to make it through summer, as long as she is comfortable. I have a compassionate vet and I know of a compassionate pick up service as well. Itā€™s just the grief. It hits you at any time.

15 Likes

:heart::heart::heart: sending you both hugs and jingles

1 Like

It is the hardest decision.

There is this, it helps me over the hump ā€¦ once it is done, it is no longer hanging over your head, haunting your thoughts, always back of mind or front of mind. You know the animal is now safe and well.

Itā€™s just hard to face not having them there any more. You do need to be at the right place emotionally and mentally, so whenever you know its right, then it is.

Thinking of you and your horse.

7 Likes

This was offered by a COTH member who hasnā€™t been active in years, but Iā€™ve kept it ā€¦

ā€œThis It Be Rightā€ by BuddyRoo on COTH

Better a week too soon than a moment too late, they say.
Better while the eyes still sparkle than wait til they dull.
Better while the good days outnumber the bad.
Better when itā€™s hard for us than hard for them.

It will never be easy for us.

As stewards of these great creatures,
We have the opportunity to give one final gift.
Peace.
We grant them peace in lieu of our own.

But granting peace, the end, when we wish for more time?
Eventually becomes a gift to ourselves.
Knowing that we gave a final gift to one we cherished.
Knowing it will leave an empty spot in our hearts.

Doing it anyway. Because we DO love. And ā€œthis it be rightā€?

That is what makes us human.

For the love of my horse, I know who I am.
And I know love.

This it be right.

11 Likes

It sure does :frowning:
And thatā€™s okay. And donā€™t let ANYONE tell you that itā€™s not

Also, read @OverandOnwardā€™s post (both of them) as often as you need to

5 Likes

the one thing I didnā€™t know is when it is done, their eyes stay open. it was upsetting. my friend stayed for the truck to come and winch him for cremation. glad i didnā€™t see that. i would recommend having a friend deal with that.

2 Likes

Depending on oneā€™s feelings about this, having a tarp ready to cover the horse right away might help with that. And if more than one tarp is wanted to cover the entire horse, or just the front end.

3 Likes

Have a towel ready for the vet to cover his eyes afterwards. It made seeing him on the ground a bit easier.

Making that phone call and making that decision is the hardest part, I think. Once thatā€™s done, itā€™s out of your hands, you know itā€™s the right thing to do. Make the most of your time with him and enjoy every second and donā€™t feel any guilt. His spirit is done with this body and is ready to leave it.

5 Likes

I happened on this post and am so glad that you have this wonderful community to support you, even virtually, through one of the hardest things Iā€™ve ever gone through. For all we sometimes disagree, thereā€™s no group better to rally when one of us needs support in this situation.

Iā€™ll add another vote that you do not need to be there. My friends have stood in for me, and Iā€™ve stood in for them. I know that I canā€™t keep my grief under wraps letting my own horse go and I donā€™t want their last moments to be stressful. For a friendā€™s horse, I can make those last minutes the best of their life - more apples and cookies than heā€™s ever wanted. You want your whole snoot in the stud muffins? let he hold the bucket for you - that sort of thing. Just my perspective - you take as much or none, as is useful for you.

I hope you have people around you in person who have your back and wish you the best. Youā€™ll get through this.

ETA at some point have a lovely spa day and cut a long fat chunk of beautifully clean non-show sheened tail. You may just keep it tied with a ribbon. But donā€™t wait.

6 Likes

I feel slightly like a psycho admitting this but even 8 years later, neither my daughter or I are able to open the box with Ronnieā€™s tail hairs and shoes.

8 Likes

We all grieve differently. I can very calmly talk about one I lost in 2023 and still get deeply emotional talking about one I lost in 2014. If I had anything of her left like tail hair I donā€™t know if I could have done anything with it until just the last few years.

2 Likes
  1. 8 years in October. Still canā€™t open. Covered with a sturdy plastic bag under the bed.
2 Likes

I couldnā€™t take the mane or tail hair.
That would have completely broken me

3 Likes

For me, it is far easier to take a chunk of hair from a still living horse. Itā€™s then tied with memories of the live animal and not with the memory of its dead body.

I have found the times Iā€™ve taken hair from friendsā€™ already dead animals to be far more upsetting.

I would highly recommend taking your keepsake ahead of time when possible to do so.

5 Likes

It took me seven years to put my first horseā€™s bridle, shoe, lock of mane hair in a shadow box.

My second horseā€™s halter, shoe and tail are still waiting sixteen years later.

Thereā€™s no hurry.

7 Likes

When my last mare was still young, I made a display with a win photo from her racing days, and a few other photos of her second career with me and some of her ribbons.
I also took some tail hair for a bracelet. I did the same for my sister when I had the opportunity to gather tail hair from her 4 horses and make her a bracelet with it.

Much easier to do all that when they are still alive.

And yes, grief will hit you at random moments and you suddenly canā€™t breathe. Even years after.

5 Likes

After two rounds of bute, my mare seems to be doing better and having a better quality of life and so I lose sight of the actual facts and question myself. I am glad she is feeling a bit better as my goal was to give her the remainder of the good weather.

I have so many good memories of having my three horses together that, about 18 months ago, I took tail hair from each of them and had a bracelet made with their hair together. I am glad I did that.

14 Likes