Unlimited access >

Euthanizing Older Horses

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this decision, it’s tough even when we know it’s the best thing for our beloved animals.

I emailed my vet when I made the decision to euthanize two horses this summer (two unrelated, irreversible, painful medical conditions) - as I knew I’d burst into tears trying to talk over the phone. They were very considerate, did not question my request or push for further examination, just gave me a few available times so I could see what would work with the removal service they recommended, and took my credit card over the phone so I wouldn’t have to worry about that detail on the actual day. When the Vet was running late for the appointment due to an emergency, he even called to notify the removal service so I wouldn’t have to. Day of, the Vet and assistant were incredibly compassionate towards me and my horses, and the removal service treated their bodies respectfully.

Retirement farm worker👋!
Sadly, death is a major component of the business.
Your decision to give your ponies the big cookie before galloping over the rainbow bridge is the most dignified way to say “thank you” to your beloved mounts. Let them go while they still have a quality of life. I promise, you don’t want to remember the results of letting nature take it’s course.
Watching your beloved lose capacity is heartbreaking. Let them go while they still are enjoying life.

8 Likes

My personal litmus test for when it is time is if the horse is no longer capable of enjoying some age-appropriate form of the things that make him a horse. For my aged OTTB with suspensory ligament degeneration, it came when he got jostled in the field by other horses having a tussle & could no longer up & move off quickly enough to avoid getting caught in it. Trainer was sprinting for the field to intervene when one of the young fruitcakes that had glomed onto my horse (in spite of the old man barely tolerating him, lol) roared in to the rescue & ran the others off with bared teeth.

Here, you can.sometimes arrange with one of the hunts to shoot the horse & harvest the carcass for the hounds. It sounds barbaric, but having volunteered to stay with numerous horses during their journey over Rainbow Bridge when their owners were unable to, shooting tends to be the quieter way out. Unfortunately , none of the hunts had room to take him so I opted for the vet to euthanize.

Disposal is an issue. The protein company that used to pick up dead horses & cattle no longer does so. The cost of cremation is staggering. I don’t know what I would do now if I had to put a horse down. :confused:

Just as a follow up to this. I made the decision to let my arthritic mare go yesterday afternoon. She had mostly quit walking around in turnout, instead opting to stand in one spot for hours - and had mostly stopped laying down. She did lay down Thursday night… and managed to roll to her bad side, where she was effectively cast and unable to get up. We were able to roll her to her “good” side and get her back standing, but in that moment I knew it was time. Her mind and her will to live were all perfectly intact; her body was just failing her.

Luckily, the vet is a new one at the clinic and she gave me absolutely no grief. It’s been over ten years since I’ve had to voluntarily euthanize an old horse, and man I forgot how much it sucks - even when logically you know you’re doing the right thing.

RED HOT IMPRINT “Hottie”

1998 - 2021

It is with a heavy heart that I tell everyone that we made the decision to humanely euthanize Hottie this afternoon.

Hottie was one of the greats. In her career, she not only won over 2,500 APHA points in seven different events - she was also a Reserve World Champion in both the Hunter Under Saddle and Western Pleasure. She produced 11 foals, with almost every one being proven in the show pen.

Unfortunately, all the years of winning in the show pen took its toll on her body. I’m so grateful that I was able to give her a home for the last three years, where she got to live out her days with her adult colt (Henry) and her girlfriends.

In recent weeks, she became reluctant to lay down and get back up unassisted and when turned out only stood in the same spot for hours. After a scare Thursday night, where it took quite a bit of pretty intense encouragement to get up - I knew I couldn’t risk her going down and having it all end in a panic. So today, she went out with a mouth full of cookies and her dignity intact.

Love you forever, pretty lady. :heart:

184796034_10103028805222039_2156906323077689335_n
23 Likes

She’s stunning. What a gorgeous horse. I am so sorry for your loss.
You know you did the right thing but that does not make it any easier.

RIP “Hottie.”

1 Like

What a grand mare she was! And what a beautiful written tribute. My condolences. :heart:

What a wonderful tribute, and beautiful mare. I am so sorry for your loss.

I’m sorry. Lovely horse and you definitely saved her from future pain and suffering.

Hugs.

So very sorry… What a special mare!

1 Like

Hi! I’m new on the forum. I made the very difficult decision to euthanize my 25 year old horse just last week. He had been living with melanomas for the past 5 years or so. They had not bothered him at all; he had a great quality of life (he had been retired sound for two years). A couple of weeks ago I started to notice a decline in him. Nothing major but I knew that it was the beginning of the end for him. For the entire time he was in my life (15 years), his quality of life was always first and foremost. He lived a lovely life especially in his final 2 years where he did nothing but eat and sleep and hang out with his buddies. I could have kept going for another few months but I was so afraid that it would end in a crisis where the decision would be taken out of my hands. So, I made the decision and he had a very peaceful and quiet transition. It was a difficult decision, but also the best for him. I hope this helps in some small way. Hugs

15 Likes

You made the right call.
Good for you.
And for your horse.
My condolences. It is never easy.

5 Likes

Thank you! I’ll miss him every day. He was a good boy.

1 Like

Beautiful mare! My condolences! Its never easy. Hugs

1 Like

amriser thank you for telling us about your beloved friend. I am sorry for your loss and hope you find daily joy in his memory

2 Likes

My horse is 27. I’ve made some decisions so he will not suffer. But I know there is more. And I need to find someone to take care of him if I am not able to.

Our vet retired in 4/2020 after 50 years in practice. He had already published Maine Horse Doctor which is a collection of essays that he published in the Horses’ Maine. They are real-life situations and the book is packed with information about taking care of your horse.

He published another book in March: Goodbye Old Friend. It is about euthanasia. He couldn’t find anything that focused on it. He wrote a book so everything is in one volume. It’s about 75 pages so it didn’t take long to read. Then I thought about it and started reading a couple of chapters. He is an excellent writer and an amazing vet. My copy arrived a few days before an owner had to put down her Irish sport horse due to a serious injury that wasn’t getting better. Reading helped.

I too send condolences.

Both books are available on Amazon. David Jefferson DVM.

4 Likes

Thanks! I am going to look for both.

Thank you

As one final update, I made the decision for my other mare in my OP this afternoon.

NORFLEETS LUCKY DEE “Sadie”
1998 - 2021

We made the decision earlier this week that we would say our final goodbyes to Sadie this afternoon.

I originally purchased her in 2016 to be a companion to Sassy when we moved to our own property. When she arrived from Iowa, she was immediately diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma. She’s had several laser treatments over the years to take care of external tumors as they’ve popped up.

Despite the cancer, she gave us some lovely fillies in 2017 (#niteatdeebar) and 2018 (#vsfleetline). After 2018, we retired her as a broodmare and she’s been living happily as the boss mare of our herd ever since.

In 2019, a tumor took over her right eye and we had it removed.

This year, a tumor on her vulva went crazy.

Last week, I noticed her left eye swelling and watering … and found a large amount of cancerous tissue creeping up her scelera and onto her iris - the same as 2019.

I made the decision to call it. She’s had 23 long, happy years and I wasn’t going to let her live with pain in her remaining eye. At her age, becoming a completely blind horse simply wasn’t an option.

Happy trails, pretty lady. :heart: #norfleetsluckydee

20 Likes

So sorry for your loss. She was beautiful and very lucky to have been so well loved.

3 Likes

What a beautiful and lucky mare.
So nice you had each other.

1 Like