Unlimited access >

Euthanizing Older Horses

I know we have several threads about euthanization, but humor me.

I have two older horses with different maladies. One has had a rough go things physically - she showed extensively throughout her life and then had a foal every year for over a decade. Her knee is blown, her arthritis is awful, according to the chiro her back is fusing towards her SI. The other has had cancer (SCC) for at least five years (I got the diagnosis when I bought her in 2016), and in that time we’ve removed an eye, we’ve removed a tumor on her vulva twice, and lately she’s developed a chronic, hacking cough. Both mares are 23 (1998).

I feel as if it’s time for them to be given cookies and say good bye; however, I haven’t had to voluntarily euthanize a horse in over a decade. I use a couple of different vet clinics just based on need; the one I have in mind of calling up to ask about this did the enucleation on the one mare in 2019, but hasn’t seen the other mare.

What’s the best approach to calling a vet and just saying - “here’s the deal. I know you haven’t been the major vet seeing these horses, but as a longtime owner, I know I want to make this call. I don’t want exhaustive vet exams, I don’t want to second guess myself over this” without clouding your reputation as a client? Is that even possible? :woman_facepalming:

This clinic just had my five year old in ICU for three weeks, so I’m sure they know I’ll go to great lengths for my horses - I’m just torn on these older two, trying to make the “right” call for them before I find them down or dead in the pasture. I’ve injected the older mare within the last six months, she’s on daily Previcox, but I’m concerned because she hasn’t been laying down lately and she’s not moving around the pasture nearly as much as I would like. She just stands in one place most of the day. The chronic cough on the cancer mare is getting worse, and with tumors on her eye and vulva, I’m sure there are many tumors throughout her body - I just haven’t paid for a scan to confirm what my gut is telling me.

I don’t want to lose them, but I also don’t want to see them uncomfortable - and at 23, with chronic conditions, there’s only so much improvement I see on the horizon. Selfishly, it’s easier for me to euthanize both on one sunny afternoon and get the heartache out of the way instead of doing one sooner and one a few months later. I just don’t know how to approach this with my vets, because I feel like they’ll say we should try additional therapies and treatments and I’m just tired of prolonging the inevitable. I know euthanizing is the worst part of their job (it’s the whole reason I didn’t pursue a veterinary degree), so I hate to ask it of them and I luckily don’t have much practice in doing so.

2 Likes

Major hugs… Not an easy choice ahead of you…

Pick the one you have a closer relationship with – assuming it is the one you mentioned, that just saw your 5 y/o. If they know you well and know you’ve gone through great lengths to assure your horses’ comfort[s], I doubt very seriously they will question when it is time. I have never had a vet second guess my decision to euthanize an older horse.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with picking a sunny day as you said, and giving them a dignified end. Better a day early than an hour too late. That is always the “right call”, IMHO – and I hate to admit it, but I waited a day too long for one of my childhood horses and it still bothers me all these years later.

Jingles for you and your mares.

14 Likes

BTDT and it’s always difficult. I have a 19 year old who is retired and has serious allergies along with arthritis. It is my plan to euthanize him when his allergies are no longer well controlled and his days of misery out number the good days. I am a veterinarian and have had to over-rule younger vets or simply ‘take the case’ because I’m a huge believer in this ‘type of decision’ being THE decision of the owner, the person who sees them on their good and bad days. I also believe that a day too ‘early’ and letting them go when they’re not in dire straights (yet) is more humane than waiting until a moment of crisis. I would find a vet who is practical, pragmatic and truly understands the ‘facts’ of geriatric horses. The only way I know to do this is to call and ask the pertinent questions and make your intentions completely clear. Legally an exam must be done especially if the horse has not been seen by ‘said’ vet but in my case I do an overall exam to insure that the horse is what the owner is representing - geriatric horse with chronic conditions and then we discuss the where, when and how and proceed if it’s that day or schedule ‘the’ time.

11 Likes

overtime we have had to preemptively euthanize two horses, both were done as their quality of life diminished greatly. We had conversations with our vet many, many months before the time came. Both were euthanize on nice days when they were given very special attention, they went silently in piece.

1 Like

Just put down my 27 year old Arab. Never an easy decision, but always err to “a day too early than an hour too late.” Hugs!

2 Likes

Thanks for the input! The only reason I would ask a “secondary” vet to do this and haven’t had many, many preemptive discussions about it is because I would prefer if they can take care of disposal. My place is too small to bury them here, and I live on a fairly populated street with school buses going by and I don’t really want to arrange a tarp situation for the time difference in euth + disposal trailer.

The vet that has done the most with both is mobile only, and works out of his home which is why I’m considering making a call to the secondary clinic, where they have an appropriate, quiet place to arrange for disposal. :pensive:

2 Likes

In one of the other threads I asked if the person was possibly near a vet school, and if using them rather than your usual vet might be an option.

It just seems like it would be more transactional and you wouldn’t have to worry about any relationships.

1 Like

There shouldn’t be any problems with approaching your vets about this, honestly. They are (or should be) making choices in the best interest of the animal, and at this time, with everything you’ve described, I think the best choice is truly ‘a day too soon.’ (I actually just had this conversation this morning with a colleague who is facing the euthanasia of her first dog.)

Explain the situation. They may want to examine the horses themselves, sure, but at their ages, and with all their health issues, I just can’t see any vet disagreeing with your choice. Simply say, “I have two aged mares, both 23. One has cancer, and has recently developed a very bad cough; the other has extremely bad arthritis and is having issues with getting up and down, despite being on daily pain meds. I feel it’s time to let them both go now, before things get worse.” Then, you can have the conversation about where to do the actual euth, disposal, etc. Make it clear that you’re not asking for an opinion; you’re asking for a vet to euthanize your horses.

At the end of the day, you’re the one who knows your mares best, and what’s best for them - and yourself.

3 Likes

If you are more comfortable with the mobile vet, you might call him and explain that you are concerned about removal. It may be that he can coordinate with the removers to have them there at or shortly after.

Sorry that you are having to deal with this.

1 Like

Any vet you call should be willing to do this for you without a ton of ‘extras.’ Call to schedule, say they ‘re old and you think their quality of life is on the decline, and they should readily help you.

Tons of respect from me to you for making the choice now. I’ve seen people wait too long and it always sucks for the horses.

5 Likes

I’m not gonna say my vets are happy to euthanize a horse, but for sure they prefer a peaceful dignified (scheduled during business hours) end over coming out at 2 am bc horse is in desperate pain and euthanizing then. Certainly they prefer euthanasia over dumping them at the kill buyers.

Call the vet you have the best relationship with and tell them your thoughts. I’m sure they can guide you to the best end of life plan for your situation.

Vet school is a tidy plan if hauling doesn’t emotionally traumatize the horses in question. Vet schools, here in the Southeast, usually have cremation facilities. I’m not sure if that’s true in other areas.

5 Likes

I did this with my 29 year old QH who I have had since he was 4 ( he was my sisters horse before that and she died in a car accident she bred and raised him) and a rescue pony who was 35 who I rehabbed and cared for for 7 years. My QH had been struggling with seasonal allergies / heaves for years. Every year it was worse. Steroids, antihistamines, bronchodilators, etc eventually became ineffective. He was struggling and losing weight. At the same time a pony I took in 7 years previous as a walking skeleton who I rehabbed to a fat pasture ornament started having trouble getting up. He was 35! So not a shocker. I went weeks using a tow strap around his hind end and my SO and I hauling him up every morning. Those two old horses loved each other. But I realized the end was near for both. And how distressed they’d be without each other. So I called my vet who had been taking care of both for years. And I explained the dire situation. On a warm sunny day after so much sweet feed and carrots I sent both over the bridge and buried them together in the same grave. It’s been a year now and I still tear up but it was the right kind thing to do.

12 Likes

OP, I am sorry that you have to go thru this but I commend you on your positive pre-emptive decisions on this. Yes, it is possible to have that conversation with your vet. However, if they do not listen or want to “argue” with you - then look for another vet.

Not a horse but I had to have that conversation with one of our local vets when I had to have my diabetic cat PTS. Her regular vet was not available so I went elsewhere. The doctor was very understanding and was (IMO) nicer than her regular vet would have been. The other office in town gave me the third degree so I wasn’t going to them as they would have tried to prolong her suffering and the inevitable end.

1 Like

I think I’d call the clinic that you prefer to use that treated your 5 year old and ask them. I suspect they’ll help you out but if they won’t, I’d then try the mobile vet and maybe he can help arrange removal or maybe he has a working relationship with another larger clinic that has removal options on site that he can get you into.

I’m planning this right now for my old horse and most people around my area bury horses which is not an option for me as a boarder. I had no idea just how very few choices there are if you are not going to bury, there is literally one service in the entire state that will come get a horse. It’s already a hard enough decision and to then have to worry about what to do with the horse after…I feel for you OP. I hope (and think) the clinic will help you.

1 Like

This ^^^

I’d say even better a month early than an hour too late.

Jingles

7 Likes

We are the same but have a burial plot at Pine Hill (Pet and) Horse Cemetery in Bowie Texas. They do the pickup in a compassionate way. Over the years five of horses rest there in a common plot next to one another.

The staff has always been very kind and very careful in the removal.

You might be able to find a similar service

1 Like

What are the disposal options?

The last time I had to euthanize my vet clinic called the dead stock company and arranged for pick up 2-3 hours after the vet appointment. I wanted to be gone before the truck arrived and the gap allowed for vet emergencies - which did occur on the day and delayed my appointment by an hour or so.

I think they have since reduced the days they pick up so any planned euthanasia would be affected by the dead stock schedule.

I’m sorry it’s come to this for the mares. I understand your concerns. Calling a vet and saying that you want two horses euthanized is certainly your call, but I guess I would say ‘evaluated for euthanasia’ instead. If you are asking them about disposal plans, they will know you think it’s time and they will come prepared (or be prepared at the clinic). I don’t think a vet will try to argue with you and or talk you out of anything. Especially for aged mares with physical issues. Why not let them do a quick physical exam to assess the horses’ pain level and general state of being? It will help with the euthanasia plan anyway. What if something has changed or a new idea is presented? I called a vet out because I thought it was time and my old boy was given a new lease on life due to a new remedy. He lived another six months (he had melanoma). I know it’s hard to hope for more time when you’re pretty certain that the horses are suffering, but perhaps it’s more respectful to let the vet explore things with you so their minds are at ease as well. The mares’ vital signs will likely just confirm your suspicions.

As far as disposal, our vets don’t do that at all. They can give you a number for people who do, though. Perhaps call their office ahead of time to get those numbers? One vet actually euthanized our old mare in the stock trailer so we could haul her to where she was buried. I don’t know how many would do that, though. He was old school and it was tricky (we had to be ready to exit rapidly before the mare dropped). She was an easy loader, which made it simple. I think it distracted her from everything else, actually. Anyway, that worked out for us as the stock trailer’s sides were high and no one could tell she was down when we were driving.

I hope things go smoothly for the mares. A gentle passing and no drama. Best wishes for you as well. It sounds like you’ve been through a lot together and it’s always tough.

1 Like

One of the best articles I’ve read on euthanasia was written by trainer Julie Goodnight after one of her horses dropped dead in the arena. She provides an organized approach to making decisions and sharing them before acute illness or injury forces us to make difficult choices . Her list of Five Freedoms helps with making a decision. I have promised my horse, almost 27, that I will not force him to endure pain or distress. I know I will need help but he has given so much to me and so many others that I cannot let him down.

Dealing with the Death of a Horse

2 Likes

I’m dealing with this myself right now.

A few weeks ago, my old mare was having weird issues. She came to us from a rescue, already in foal (to our surprise) and was never in the best shape. We had trouble getting/keeping weight on her despite every possible effort and vet consultation. She was slowly going downhill and I told my vet that I planned on setting her free this spring. She suggested we send her to New Bolton to see if there was anything we had overlooked. Reluctantly, I agreed because I just knew it was getting close to her time and I didn’t want to stress her more than she already was. They found nothing to give them an “AHA” moment, after scoping, biopsies, fecals etc, so she came home that same day. The next day she seemed better; alert, happy and eating. I kissed her goodnight and found her dead in her stall the next morning. NB agreed to do a necropsy on her for free, to try to give us some answers. They still found nothing that would tell them exactly what happened and I still kick myself for not being there to help her cross. It didn’t appear she suffered or coliced and looked like she literally just dropped, but still…

My old heart horse is 33 and was diagnosed with EPM at age 30. He does remarkably well considering but I know that day is fast approaching. I’ve had him since he was nine and I know he’ll tell me when he’s ready but I fear the summer when he seems to have the most trouble.

It’s so hard and each of them tear your heart out no matter what. I do consider it to be an honor to be able to let them go under a controlled passing that is painless, and free from stress or panic. I hope I can do that for my boy so that I can tell him how extremely blessed I have been to have had him in my life all these years. In the meantime, he is horribly spoiled each day as if it were his last.

Be Blessed )O(

4 Likes