Unlimited access >

Event horse (Endurance horse as well) tests positive

Thoughts? The Event horse tested positive for Ace which i’m slightly puzzled by. However, the Endurance horse case should be thrown out since the medication tested is Bute. Endurance is physically demanding on horse with the distances they run. You and me both know that they have to be a little bit sore after an undertaking like that.

I’ve gotta disagree…a horse that’s on bute for soreness shouldn’t be competing in endurance. Giving some bute after wards, when the drug testing period is over and the competition is done? Sure. But not before competing.

[QUOTE=Unfforgettable;7747660]
I’ve gotta disagree…a horse that’s on bute for soreness shouldn’t be competing in endurance. Giving some bute after wards, when the drug testing period is over and the competition is done? Sure. But not before competing.[/QUOTE]

That’s basically what I was saying. After they compete, yes. It’s just like me taking an Advil after I run a marathon. :yes:

and the top French eventing horse also testing for ACE… bad news!

[QUOTE=FalseImpression;7748067]
and the top French eventing horse also testing for ACE… bad news![/QUOTE]

This is this same horse mentioned in the OP, so just for clarity, not a second French horse.

With the FEI’s system as it (automatic disqualification for trace amounts), wouldn’t it be relatively easy for an unthethical person to intentionally disqualify someone. Maybe less at places like WEG, but I’ve been to plenty of places where I could have put a bit of steroid cream in the bars of a whole row of stalls with no one knowing, not to mention the ease of dropping an ace crumble in a water bucket while leaning against the stall to look in. What if someone comes up with something on their hands and gives your horse a passing pat over the stall guard or as you get off. They shouldn’t, but my point is: they could.

Wasn’t it the US dressage rider CKD who was eliminated at the Olympics for a trace amount of a cream the team vets hadn’t even heard of since it’s not a drug used in the US (and the horse hadn’t seen other vets). Isn’t it possible this horse was contaminated (probably unintentionally) by another party?