Unlimited access >

Event Trainer around Central VA (CVille to Richmond to Fredericksburg)

Hi all! I’m a H/J rider who isn’t happy with my options in the Richmond VA area, so I’m looking to move over to an eventing trainer instead.

I’m going to be getting a young OTTB and I feel like there’s no real need to specialize with a 2-3 YO horse anyways - I am a competent adult ammy who can get the job done 90% of the time and appreciates having a solid, soft pro around to get that extra 10% done (or when I’m busy with work to help out). Or just another good set of eyes on the ground.

The threads for Richmond area eventing barns are a bit out of date, so I wanted to start a new thread to get any good recommendations. I’m looking for:

1. Reasonable rates (Would like to come in under $1200 for both board and lessons)
  2. Soft, effective rider/trainer who doesn’t rely on force to get the job done / listens to the horse
    2a. Familiarity with and knowledge of groundwork
  3. Safe TO and good footing
  4. Indoor would be a bonus but not necessary
  5. Stays local in the winter (or Aiken might be doable but I can’t afford to go to FL every winter)

Any recommendations are appreciated! I"m willing to drive up to an hour away from RVA to find the right fit.

Rebecca Barber Tyler does a lot of work with OTTBs

3 Likes

Gabby Dickerson is in that area somewhere. I don’t know anything about her program but I’ve seen her at several shows and she’s a lovely, quiet rider who always has really nice young horses.

4 Likes

I’ve daydreamed about doing this one day and I would want to send a young OTTB to Kate Samuels in Free Union. I’ve followed her on social media for a while and I really like her approach. Lots of groundwork, long lining, and instilling confidence in the horse. No idea what she charges, I think her barn is pretty small.

3 Likes

Is Williamsburg doable for you?

Debbie Rodriguez is primarily a dressage instructor, but I know she has some successful eventing students, and she is a licensed Eventing Judge. I don’t have personal experience with her as an instructor, but have heard and seen good things.

3 Likes

Thank you for this recommendation! I’ve connected with Kate and fingers crossed it all works out!

4 Likes

I’m surprised Kiki Osbourne hasn’t been referenced yet! She would be my go to in this area.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, my program has a strong focus on young horses, including
OTTBs.

1 Like