Unlimited access >

Eventing barns in San Diego, CA?

Looking for recommendations for barns in San Diego! Ideally an eventing barn but I don’t mind boarding somewhere with a trainer in a different discipline, however I need somewhere that offers full care boarding as I do travel for work at least quarterly. Pasture board is preferred but stalls with regular turnout would be okay as well. I am moving down soon and will be living in downtown and working in Del Mar, so somewhere close to either location could work but I would prefer north as I plan to move closer to my office long term. The most recent threads I saw are a few years old so curious about what my current options are. I’m just starting to look into places so any help is appreciated!

Lauren Salas and Lindsey Smith are both located in that area still I think. Both have fun groups of amateurs and solid training and care.

fyi- if you see grass when you visit don’t be fooled, it’s been a freakishly wet year and that grass is not usually there. I can’t think of a place near SD with irrigated pastures, possibly because they are all out of my tax bracket but more likely because they don’t exist. In CA you usually choose from “pasture” board- ie they are out on dirt, pipe corrals of various sizes or stalls with an in and out. Most board is stall cleaning, watering and throwing hay twice a day and that’s it. Some places offer a la carte services but it adds up because ANY handling (blanketing, medicating and turnout) will all be an extra daily cost. So will grain and at most places any hay other than alfalfa. It’s almost always cheaper to be in full training if you don’t get super lucky finding a place.

3 Likes

Not necessarily an eventing barn but lots of eventers board where I am at Peppertree Farm in Poway. No grass turnout but the paddocks are large and airy. The management and care is top notch in my opinion especially coming from other barns in the area and also barns in San Jose, Ca.

They offer hand walks, turnout, and exercise rides (via some of the trainers there). Hay is priced per flake and they offer 4 different types of hay fed 2-3 times per day. Lunch grain is free of charge but you have to make your bags. DM me if you have any questions about the place. I really love boarding there and cant see us moving any time soon.

1 Like