Unlimited access >

Eventing - Dallas

Hi all!

My first post to this site, hopefully I’m not duplicating anything!

My work has asked me to relocate to Dallas (I’m a British eventer, employer is non-horsey.)

I’m happy to relocate for a bunch of reasons, however this changes if I can’t ride/compete…

So, helpful people, please could you advise - can I event/compete in Dallas? Is there much of a scene in Texas? Are there any recommendations for trainers/centres?

I’ll be coming horse-less but eventually I would import.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

It looks like there are several HT in the area, depending on how far you’re willing to drive. “In the area” for a Texan usually translates to “within 3-4 hours of driving”. Coming from the UK, you’re going to have to get used to driving a bit to get anywhere really. Texas is also an extremely large state, so it’s a good idea to just use google maps - just because it’s in TX does NOT mean that it’s close.

As far as TX is concerned, it’s a pretty “horse friendly” state in that you’ll find lots of barns, but most riding in Texas will be western/ranch riding. That said, I do know a friend who used to ride at a competitive H/J barn (10 years ago or so) in Dallas, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they also had a few eventers there - so decent english barns do exist!

Texas has a HUGE population of all horse sports, eventers and hunter/jumpers alike—neither is a rarity.

8 Likes

Just depends on where you’re at I guess. Texas is huge. In my area, 90% of riding is western and I’ve got to drive an hour to a decent H/J barn. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Thanks all! If you have any recommendations of barns/trainers i’d really appreciate it!

Driving wise, I’ve heard this a lot… but to be fair even in the UK I drive 30/40 minutes to my trainer and when we go to shows it’s usually around a 2 hour drive, very rare that it’s closer.

1 Like

There is a long thread on Ellen Doughty Hume.

9 Likes

@nicrosebill
Please take a look at the (long) thread about EDH before even thinking about contacting her!

6 Likes

North Texas is the hub of eventing in the state. If you’re in or near Dallas, Rebecca Brown Steggers is the very best. She also has a great community of adult amateurs. If you’re in or near Fort Worth, Angela Bowles is your go-to. The two are close geographically, but not close at all with traffic. Rockgate Equestrian is a somewhat new facility; it’s located north of Fort Worth. There are others in the area too. North Texas Eventing Association is a good resource.

Geography and traffic are going to be your biggest factors.

3 Likes

Thank you - very long thread !

Thanks all, v. helpful comments

Bumping this thread instead of starting my own since it’s so recent, I hope that’s okay!

I am considering moving to Dallas for a job, but wanted to see what the reasonably drivable eventing scene looked like before committing. I recently was in Louisiana, so I know what the venues look like, but not what would be doable commute wise.

Anyone have recommendations for eventing barns within a reasonable driving distance of this area? The job would be temporary – just for the next 18 months and I have a pretty mellow gelding.

EDH is a real piece of work. She is a scam artist. A narcissist. I worked around her at many shows and she is trash. She has a bad attitude will yell at the judges. She has been kicked out of many shows and barns at least 4 barns and usually ends up in a lawsuit. She had two dui’s and her husband was arrested on possession of a controlled substance. She is usually drunk at events and has brought men back to her horse trailer from bars. This behavior is ongoing . Most recently she has had a affair with one of her students fathers!! Who would sleep with this nasty person anyway is beyond me. I feel sorry for any kid in her program . They are in danger!

1 Like

please do your research on Ellen Doughty she is BAD NEWS