Unlimited access >

Eventing Pet Peeves?

[QUOTE=NCRider;8741838]
Being told in warm up, after you’ve started warming up, that you can either go RIGHT NOW, 10 minutes earlier than your ride time, or you have to go 15 minutes after your ride time because they need to fit in some BNR’s and their students who just showed up to the in gate out of order. maybe hire an assistant or don’t ride 8 horses in one show?

Corollary to the above, ring stewards letting BNR’w get away with hogging the warm up fences and jacking them up over the allowed height. Not only is it rude, it’s dangerous to the other competitors.

Basically all the things that made my blood boil at h/j shows, creeping into eventing.[/QUOTE]

YES! This!!

When I go to events alone these days, I find that I have to try to find someone to “Defend” me in the SJ warm up.

I go to the ring steward. Give my number, ask how many out, are you taking in numerical? Etc, etc.

I go warm up. I have to navigate around people who are “having a lesson” and are more focused on their trainer then watching where other people are in the ring, and get snippy with you that you don’t make way FOR THEM.

Go down to ring steward near your time. whoops! Now there are 8 people ahead of you because such and such BNR or trainer needed to have their people go or whatever.

It is beyond frustrating.
And I have actually mentioned in the event evaluations.

I had never experienced the warm up drama until somehow the SJ last weekend ended up 25 horses behind. I’m not sure how that even happened.

[QUOTE=redalter;8742146]
YES! This!!

When I go to events alone these days, I find that I have to try to find someone to “Defend” me in the SJ warm up.

I go to the ring steward. Give my number, ask how many out, are you taking in numerical? Etc, etc.

I go warm up. I have to navigate around people who are “having a lesson” and are more focused on their trainer then watching where other people are in the ring, and get snippy with you that you don’t make way FOR THEM.

Go down to ring steward near your time. whoops! Now there are 8 people ahead of you because such and such BNR or trainer needed to have their people go or whatever.

It is beyond frustrating.
And I have actually mentioned in the event evaluations.[/QUOTE]

What I find particularly enraging about this relatively recent phenomenon is that it is the same BNR’s and their LNBNR minions who are guilty of this while other equally BN BNR’s and their minions with the same large number of rides seem to be able to navigate a horse trial without inconveniencing everyone else. It really is just a matter of extreme rudeness.

[QUOTE=quietann;8742073]
As a volunteer crowd-minder – spectators on X/C who just. don’t. get. that when I blow my whistle, they need to get out of the way NOW. Or anyone who mouths off to me about it. I am generally shy and quiet, but I have a BIG outside voice I’ll use if someone’s kid is about to be run down by a galloping horse, or if a group won’t move their d**n asses out of the way![/QUOTE]

Or the flip side of this-jump judges who are too busy socializing that they dont tell people to move. I had this issue at MayDaze at the KHP. I came into the infield and thought surely the jump judge would tell them to move because they were standing directly in front of it…

Alas I galloped down and had to yell “HEADS UP!” to get them out of the way of my jump because the jump judge wasn’t paying attention and was gabbing with the group.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8742159]
I had never experienced the warm up drama until somehow the SJ last weekend ended up 25 horses behind. I’m not sure how that even happened.[/QUOTE]

Where on earth did this happen? Oh my, that is like H/J land.

Yes, I’ve witnessed BNR & LNBNR-sydrome, they are nasty to the ring stewards, who are VOLUNTEERS. Bemoaning warmup & USEA/USEF rules saying they want FEI rules, well stick to your FEI events then, why don’t you have the FEI sanction developing horse classes for you :lol: I do not want nor need this attitude at the lower levels. I dont want my lower level cost to go up to have the event host FEI Levels either & also mess up my amateur competition schedule, aka GMHA.

Meanwhile, there are many ‘BN’ R/Ts who are mannerly, get it done, with gobs of students…

People who let their dogs run amuck! I’m a dog lover, and take mine with me to shows. Nothing bugs me more than someones loose dog coming into my camp to eat my dogs food, start crap with my leashed dog, or rummage in my boxes/bags of food! If shows are going to post that dogs must be leashed, then that needs to be enforced.

Although, I think I could do a better job, and turn those dogs in, rather than just shooing them off.

[QUOTE=amb;8741552]
Start times being fiddled around for the convenience of trainers. (I haven’t seen this, but I recently heard of it happening. Please no.)[/QUOTE]

Yep. Had this happen while my poor mare and I were shivering in the rain, waiting for our turn. The people managing the order of go just kept throwing people in front of three of us who were huddling our horses together. My husband finally got fed up with what they were doing and complained. Loudly. Me and the other people waiting patiently were the next ones to go.

[QUOTE=NCRider;8742162]
What I find particularly enraging about this relatively recent phenomenon is that it is the same BNR’s and their LNBNR minions who are guilty of this while other equally BN BNR’s and their minions with the same large number of rides seem to be able to navigate a horse trial without inconveniencing everyone else. It really is just a matter of extreme rudeness.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Yes, it seems to be more and more with trainers present in the warm ups that things like this happen.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not blaming trainers nor for that matter, the volunteers - but at some point it just HAS to be addressed.

Last weekend, I had a very short amount of time to warm up for d- the only time my division’s SJ course was open for walking was near my D time - and getting to the HT early was not an option - the upper levels were running and no time or open to walk.

So I walked quickly, and hopped on, went down to the D ring steward and asked if the ring was running on time, was told it was running early. I politely told him that I would need to ride at my time, could not go early. I warmed up briefly, then went down to the ring, they told me to go THEN, I said can I have a minute.
I admit, I got flustered, and rushed in (I don’t like to make waves). I did not check my watch - I was so flustered, had a bit of a tense test. Came out, looked at my watch, then realized I went before my time. Then I look and see the horse who was supposed to go before me come down, with trainer in tow, and the trainer talking to the steward, could he again put another horse in front of them, they needed a couple more minutes.

:mad:

I thought that going to recognized shows would minimize this. I now know I will have to be a little bossy. My trainer is NOT a babysitter type, she has her own horses to compete, but I do think I will have to find someone to come just help help me avoid that nonsense.

[QUOTE=goodmorning;8742273]
Where on earth did this happen? Oh my, that is like H/J land.

Yes, I’ve witnessed BNR & LNBNR-sydrome, they are nasty to the ring stewards, who are VOLUNTEERS. Bemoaning warmup & USEA/USEF rules saying they want FEI rules, well stick to your FEI events then, why don’t you have the FEI sanction developing horse classes for you :lol: I do not want nor need this attitude at the lower levels. I dont want my lower level cost to go up to have the event host FEI Levels either & also mess up my amateur competition schedule, aka GMHA.

Meanwhile, there are many ‘BN’ R/Ts who are mannerly, get it done, with gobs of students…[/QUOTE]

It actually was at GMHA, the starter event. On the whole pretty well run but I ended up standing around on my horse for 40 minutes after my stadium time, and I felt the XC course was way too short.

the dust bowl was a zoo with people accumulating. Never did find out what the hold up was.

People who don’t clean up their manure in trailer parking. TAKE YOUR SH** HOME! (Literally!)

To me, it’s akin to littering. You rarely see people do that any more, but apparently piles of poop are considered OK. :rolleyes:

People wandering around jump warm up paying no attention to anyone else and walking, stopping, etc on the landing side of the jumps. Seriously!?!? Drives me batty and happens all the time. And, if you are walking or stopped? Step away from the fences.
The fact that white is considered the appropriate color for shirts and breeches in dressage. What sadistic monster decided that white should be required or expected around horses?!

[QUOTE=bambam;8742437]

The fact that white is considered the appropriate color for shirts and breeches in dressage. What sadistic monster decided that white should be required or expected around horses?![/QUOTE]

Visitor from the h/j world here. WHY do we have to compete in what basically amounts to BUSINESS attire? Whites, show jackets, etc etc. Absolutely ridiculous! My poor dry cleaners always return my jackets with the “sorry we couldn’t remove this stain” notice :lol:

[QUOTE=NCRider;8741838]
Being told in warm up, after you’ve started warming up, that you can either go RIGHT NOW, 10 minutes earlier than your ride time, or you have to go 15 minutes after your ride time because they need to fit in some BNR’s and their students who just showed up to the in gate out of order. maybe hire an assistant or don’t ride 8 horses in one show?

Corollary to the above, ring stewards letting BNR’w get away with hogging the warm up fences and jacking them up over the allowed height. Not only is it rude, it’s dangerous to the other competitors.

Basically all the things that made my blood boil at h/j shows, creeping into eventing.[/QUOTE]

They need an Intro to Eventing. Hello, you’re late, so sorry, you are meeting the big E. Or if management is feeling benevolent, and the Ground Jury and judge agree, they can ride last. Guaranteed, they won’t be late again.

And :goodmorning: In the thrilling days of yesteryear even Intermediate level HT were held all three phases in one day. Advance HT weren’t invented yet. Yes, you got there the day before and walked your course then, and maybe had a chance to do it a second time the day of. Coveralls, the baggy zippered ones go over everything. :wink: Spreading it over two and three days only happened when there were too many riders to fit it all in one day

Riders in the warm up who think for some reason they should have to right of way and run of the arena. I was warming up for dressage and it was me and one other lady on some big palomino in the ring. She rudely and loudly told me “this is a stallion, we want this ring to ourselves” No. The other rings were packed and I want this quiet ring to warm up in. Sorry that you have a stallion but that doesn’t mean you can monopolize the ring. If it can’t behave properly around others then don’t bring it to a show. This happened like 10 years ago and I’m still pissed about it haha

Entitlement and inconsideration, in all forms.

Other than that, I’m pretty easy. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Simba27;8742863]
Riders in the warm up who think for some reason they should have to right of way and run of the arena. I was warming up for dressage and it was me and one other lady on some big palomino in the ring. She rudely and loudly told me “this is a stallion, we want this ring to ourselves” No. The other rings were packed and I want this quiet ring to warm up in. Sorry that you have a stallion but that doesn’t mean you can monopolize the ring. If it can’t behave properly around others then don’t bring it to a show. This happened like 10 years ago and I’m still pissed about it haha[/QUOTE]

Did you tell her, “No”?

Just wondering.

I totally agree with being upset at people changing the jump heights in warm up. It is novice there is no reason someone should be jumping prelim height!
My other pet peeve is generators being on all night/ all the time. Just rude and inconsiderate to the rest of us. I wish more events would post rules about this, such as “Generators must be turned off between 10pm-7am.”

I totally agree with being upset at people changing the jump heights in warm up. It is novice there is no reason someone should be jumping prelim height!
My other pet peeve is generators being on all night/ all the time. Just rude and inconsiderate to the rest of us. I wish more events would post rules about this, such as “Generators must be turned off between 10pm-7am.”

[QUOTE=RHdobes563;8742959]
Did you tell her, “No”?

Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t say anything, I ignored her: but i stayed in the arena and like always was courteous and gave her space

Oh boy well that was way before my time merry! I can just see it now, coveralls, 95f, GM found melting in her stall, horse looking at her like she’s lost it :lol:

But I’ve actually melted right off my horse in the sweltering heat, I think I may be sensitive to it (I was very very fit when this first happened, I honestly think it’s something to do w/the black helmet), so I truly do appreciate modern fabrics & rules that are athlete friendly. I’m not a Junior anymore, these bones may break if I melt off the horse now :lol:

Really though, it’s about entitlement: thinking you are above the rules, or have the right to ask a question when someone is well turned out & law abiding. Look at the bright red miserable faces from Great Meadowsm:eek: No thanks.