Unlimited access >

Eventing Pet Peeves?

[QUOTE=coloradoride;8742966]
I totally agree with being upset at people changing the jump heights in warm up. It is novice there is no reason someone should be jumping prelim height!
My other pet peeve is generators being on all night/ all the time. Just rude and inconsiderate to the rest of us. I wish more events would post rules about this, such as “Generators must be turned off between 10pm-7am.”[/QUOTE]

well, that’s kind of hard. The generators don’t just run the refridgerators depending on the RV/LQ arrangement. Things like water pumps for running water, outlets, TVs…things that normal people might want to use past 10pm…rely on them. Heck, I run a gas generator outside my tent overnight to run fans. The noise is just white noise to me. I’d prefer that to total silence, to be honest.

[QUOTE=eponacowgirl;8740839]
2 rule related ones… One is when people don’t know them. [/QUOTE] Especially the TD!

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8740964]Making me hunt to find the optimum time[/QUOTE] My pet peeve too! When the rules state that the optimum time must be on the course map. Why will TD’s not enforce this? I checked the rules after someone in the secretary’s booth admitted at my June event “we never put the optimum time on the map.” It still is in the rules.

If half the events can’t follow that rule, maybe the alternate should be “The optimum time otherwise must be posted at the end of every row of stalls as well as at the secretary’s stand and at the scoreboard.”

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8743109]
well, that’s kind of hard. The generators don’t just run the refridgerators depending on the RV/LQ arrangement. Things like water pumps for running water, outlets, TVs…things that normal people might want to use past 10pm…rely on them. Heck, I run a gas generator outside my tent overnight to run fans. The noise is just white noise to me. I’d prefer that to total silence, to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree. They are loud and annoying to everyone around you and, IMO, extremely inconsiderate, esp gas generators when trailers are parked close together and your neighbor must suck down your fumes all night. There are some quieter gas generators that are less offensive in the noise department (the smaller Hondas, for example) but I’m never lucky enough to be parked next to one of those guys, I always get the big honking ones that sound (and smell) like a Boeing 747 is parked outside my window all night.

We have a full LQ and if we’re somewhere without hookups (side pet peeve, if you have a LQ and want power- pay for a hookup! Don’t siphon electric off the stabling so you don’t have to pay- RUDE), we’ll run the generator some during the day to charge the batteries, then shut it off overnight. We have batteries to run lights and charge small appliances, and the fridge runs off propane when not hooked up to electric, or batteries if we’re out of propane. I would be all in favor of quiet, no-generator hours overnight, for sure.

[QUOTE=faybe;8743152]
Completely disagree. They are loud and annoying to everyone around you and, IMO, extremely inconsiderate, esp gas generators when trailers are parked close together and your neighbor must suck down your fumes all night. There are some quieter gas generators that are less offensive in the noise department (the smaller Hondas, for example) but I’m never lucky enough to be parked next to one of those guys, I always get the big honking ones that sound (and smell) like a Boeing 747 is parked outside my window all night.

We have a full LQ and if we’re somewhere without hookups (side pet peeve, if you have a LQ and want power- pay for a hookup! Don’t siphon electric off the stabling so you don’t have to pay- RUDE), we’ll run the generator some during the day to charge the batteries, then shut it off overnight. We have batteries to run lights and charge small appliances, and the fridge runs off propane when not hooked up to electric, or batteries if we’re out of propane. I would be all in favor of quiet, no-generator hours overnight, for sure.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you would even notice my generator if you were inside a LQ. You can barely hear it 10 feet away. It is a smaller Honda, ironically. And I can have it right next to my tent and not smell it, so I think we are talking different levels here.

However, the biggest reason I used to have a LQ was AC in the summer, and the AC is not going to run off batteries all night unless you’re carrying about 600 pounds of batteries. I imagine other people feel the same way, and that is why they are running their generators.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8743171]
I doubt you would even notice my generator if you were inside a LQ. You can barely hear it 10 feet away. It is a smaller Honda, ironically. And I can have it right next to my tent and not smell it, so I think we are talking different levels here.

However, the biggest reason I used to have a LQ was AC in the summer, and the AC is not going to run off batteries. I imagine other people feel the same way, and that is why they are running their generators.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we are definitely talking different levels :yes:- I get wanting a/c, but (and I say this as someone who lives full time in the LQ trailer 3+ months of the year, and until last fall, did not have a/c in the trailer at all) I can count on one hand the number of times it has been so hot at night at a horse show (or at any other point living in the trailer) that I needed the a/c overnight, and in those cases I ran a fan off the battery to get by rather than firing up the generator overnight. And that is in climates all up and down the east coast and midwest.

Add me to the anti-glitter camp!

Brown dressage saddles.

Rubber band braids…I get it. I do. And some people do them well. I just can’t! :lol"

Loose dogs.

[QUOTE=Simba27;8742863]
Riders in the warm up who think for some reason they should have to right of way and run of the arena. I was warming up for dressage and it was me and one other lady on some big palomino in the ring. She rudely and loudly told me “this is a stallion, we want this ring to ourselves” No. The other rings were packed and I want this quiet ring to warm up in. Sorry that you have a stallion but that doesn’t mean you can monopolize the ring. If it can’t behave properly around others then don’t bring it to a show. This happened like 10 years ago and I’m still pissed about it haha[/QUOTE]

Totally inappropriate.

I have a stallion in my barn at the moment, and have taken him to two events. I am keenly aware of my surroundings, but I do NOT expect anyone else to treat him “special.” If he can’t act like a model citizen in a normal show environment, he shouldn’t be there. However, I do wish that people would use common sense and not crowd him needlessly-- thus, I tie blue ribbon in his tail as a “heads up” so riders might not ride up his butt without thinking. He doesn’t kick, but I’d rather be noticed and have a wide bubble of “anti-stupidity” around us. He’s totally fine in mixed company, but BN/N warmup is sometimes home to nervous, hyper-focused riders who lose their ability to see beyond their own horse’s ears, and a near-collision with a stallion is something I’d really like to avoid.

Along that vein, please don’t treat your horse like a loose dog in the trailer parking area, grazing absently with lead rope dragging the ground while you change or fiddle around in your dressing room. I do everything possible to manage this stallion responsibly and safely, but I can’t control what your (loose) horse will do. Please, tie your horse up or hold on to it, you never know what horse is tied to the trailer next to you or hand-grazing nearby.

And here’s a tip: tape an emergency phone number to the outside of your trailer if you have to leave your horse unattended (to walk your course, check scores, etc). We’ve all seen horses in distress in a trailer-- caught in a haynet, throwing a fit when the neighbor horse leaves, breaks a chest bar, etc-- and I know I would really appreciate if someone could contact me if my horse needed help. I’ve only started doing this since I’ve had a stallion on my trailer, but it really is a good idea for any horse.

[QUOTE=coloradoride;8742966]
I totally agree with being upset at people changing the jump heights in warm up. It is novice there is no reason someone should be jumping prelim height! [/QUOTE]

It is against the rules to jump Prelim height (3’7") in Novice warmup. The fence may not be more than 4 inches above Novice height (i.e. 3’3").

The warmup steward is supposed to monitor this.

Incomplete entries. The same basic information is required for every event. Entry form, current coggins , signature page (rider, owner, trainer are all mandatory lines, not optional) AND payment make a complete entry.
If you are moving up a level, double check what numbers you need to have in advance so you can fill out your entry form completely.

Please don’t send all the information to your secretary piecemeal. If everyone does this it makes for a lot more work!

[QUOTE=Janet;8743233]
It is against the rules to jump Prelim height (3’7") in Novice warmup. The fence may not be more than 4 inches above Novice height (i.e. 3’3").

The warmup steward is supposed to monitor this.[/QUOTE]

I think the warmup stewards are either too starstruck or afraid to confront the rude BNR’s and the BNR’s know it.

I saw a rider without a trainer almost have a very nasty crash trying to sneak in a jump over a fence that was easily 6 inches too high while the BNR was hogging the fence. I think she was surprised that it was so high when she came around for the fence.

NCRider Totally agree about the warm up stewards being Overwhelmed/starstruck/Afraid or perhaps not informed…I also could have been that rider, this spring at an event! A trainer went a raised the oxer by 6 inches in warm up. I was one of several riders warming up and using the fence. This trainer just swooped in and changed it. I was actually on my way to the jump (had called out even) All of the sudden it is prelim height!:eek: Pulled my horse up, not safe for me to be jumping that high. The trainer says “Oh we just need this for a minute” Trainer is well known and pretty much bullies her way through most events. Just blew my mind how inconsiderate/ dangerous it was.

Oooh, I’ll bite!!!

As a volunteer, my biggest pet peeve is the BNR/BNT who are convinced the rules do not apply to them, such as “all dogs must be on a leash”, yet they have their dogs out on XC WHILE IT IS BEING RUN, with their dogs off leash. Thankfully the TD threatened them with a yellow card and they took the mutts to the barns.

BNR who blames everything on the volunteers. We are human, we make mistakes. We do everything in our power to keep 150+ competitors from running amok. This isn’t hunterland; you are given a dressage ride time, and if YOU don’t notice the rider in front of you has already gone, and that YOUR ride time is creeping closer, don’t yell at a volunteer. I’m not paid. I will give out warnings, but if you are clear across the ring when I do so (I do my best to call when the rider is in earshot, but shit happens) while I’m simultaneously checking in three other riders, you can’t blame me for you being late. Ring stewards are a luxury we eventers have.

Loose dogs.

Horses being allowed to roll in ANY arena.

But my absolute biggest pet peeve is when jump judges don’t turn their radios on or turn the volume up. If I’m running control and I don’t hear any jump judges, I can get snippy. Everyone attended the brief and was shown how to work their radio. The “Well, I was talking with my friend so I turned down the volume” excuse does not fly with me.

Related to volunteers it is a pet peeve that some eventers including many BNR/BNT never volunteer. I’ve know some people that in 20 years of eventing never volunteer. I know and have heard all the excuses about you don’t have time, etc. because it will cut into your competition schedule but I saw some of these very same people walking around Great Meadows this weekend. So you have time to come watch and do the parties but not time to volunteer.

It really irks me to hear eventers complain about volunteers when they are not willing to do it themselves. I heard this several times on Sunday.

This is what drove me out of volunteering about five years ago and seeing that nothing has changed means it may be five years before I do it again. So next year, I’ll take up the invites to the tail gates instead of volunteering.

So why would that drive you out of volunteering? Because you don’t want to support those eventers when they compete?

You are missing out on all of the hard working good people in this sport by doing so. It’s a wonderful group of like minded civic people.

I like the point you make about seeing these riders noncompeting and having a holiday of it, but don’t cheat yourself to spite them.

I do agree though, I do see a lot of people who don’t volunteer. Folks have no idea what it takes backstage. And they miss out on the important free learning in this sport. How many riders make stupid costly mistakes because they’ve never taken the time to learn on the ground?

Mine are more deep-rooted Pony Club-background related:

Dirty horses…if you have a grey or a horse with substantial chrome, for the love of God get the manure stains and dirt off the white! It looks so sloppy to compete a dirty horse and there are tons of products that can remedy this issue. I had a grey for several years and never had a problem with this, it just takes planning and attention to detail. IMHO it is disrespectful to present a visibly dirty horse at any show.

Ill fitting tack or boots - i.e. flashes too low over nostrils, bits too big, browbands too tight, breastplate straps flapping, boots large and sagging down. Same goes for badly done stable bandages or polos - they cause more harm than good if wrapped too loose or tight.

People who don’t properly care for their horses after riding (mostly XC)…don’t just chuck your horse in the stall and let him catch his breath standing still and sweating while you undress and grab a drink. He just carried your butt around a course and it should be your first priority to get him cooled out properly. Same goes for those who choose to ride their horses back to the barn after XC - give the horse a break for a job well done. I understand some riders with physical issues may have a harder time with this, but I KNOW not everyone is in this boat.

Petty, perhaps --event organizers who make no effort to know who we competitors are —actually stopped going to one event because after 10 years, at least 15K spent, and (of course) everyone HT up by a thank you note --the woman who organized it on her property NEVER ONCE spoke to me despite me making every appropriate effort to introduce myself, my riders, and make all the suitable “wow this place is great!” comments (it was a nice venue). She GUSHED over the gentlemen who competed (actually hung on them --arm in arm type thing around the venue) but me? Not once did she even say hello. And before you say that’s too much to ask, at bigger venues --Richland Park, Stewart, Maui Jim (still miss it) after a year or two, organizers and volunteers KNEW my name (not that I’m anyone famous, but just little old me) --made me feel as if my participation was welcomed --so I took my $ and went elsewhere. Oh, a couple I knew (at one point he trained my DD), were friends with the unfriendly organizers --I mentioned why I would not be going back and why, and they said, “Oh, that’s just how she is --she either likes you or she doesn’t.” And yet, we were good competitors --paid on time, cleaned up after ourselves NEVER complained and won our share of HTs there. But that’s my Pet Peeve.

Foxglove

I haven’t volunteered recently because it seems like events are starting to shortchange volunteers even more than they used to.

You can throw a competitor party complete with a catered meal for riders, but I get an $8 lunch voucher for standing in the sun from 7am to 4pm?

You used to get t shirts, an invite to comepetitors party, or a free entry to an event/clinic with a rider/ free xc schooling, or sometimes all of that. Now you get issued one bottle of water, a radio, and told to find your way out at the end of the day. Maybe you get fed if you’re lucky.

[QUOTE=AKB;8741604]
Grace, I have to disagree with you on the value of clean tack. Some eventers work a lot of hours. If you are working 60 hours per week, riding the horse takes priority, in my mind, over cleaning tack. My friend used to not ride her horse during the week before an event because she had to clean her tack. Her prioritizing clean tack over riding the horse was one of my pet peeves. As long as the horse is well cared for, fit, and well shod, dirty tack doesn’t bother me.[/QUOTE]

I get the working long hours thing, and I definitely have nights where the tack doesn’t get clean because other things are more important, but I try to make that the exception, not the rule. If you clean tack regularly and keep a bucket/sponge/bar of soap in a convenient location, cleaning after each ride becomes a 60-second commitment. If you give it a good thorough clean once, maybe before a show, you can just give it a quick wipe-down after each ride. Everyone’s got a spare 60 seconds most of the time :slight_smile:

I think you can’t separate tack from horses as far as care goes. You wouldn’t want to have to do your job in clothes that were dirty or smelly or didn’t fit correctly, and I think it’s respectful to our horses, who work so hard for us, to do our best to set them up for success. Not to mention years in pony club taught me that dirty tack wears out faster, making it dangerous (especially for stirrup leathers and girth billets that can break mid-ride and cause falls) and EXPENSIVE (I don’t have the budget to replace things, which is why I’m an avid tack cleaner).

I think my pet peeve would be any lack of warm-up etiquette. For example, at the KHP they have a VERY large warm up ring for show jumping, and the jumps are clearly set in the middle of one half of the ring. Clearly, management meant for that to be the jumping area, and there’s an entire other half of the ring that is open and quiet. Seems logical that you do your flatting in that end. But without fail, every time I’m there, I see a rider practicing 10 meter circles and figure 8’s within 20 feet of the row of jumps. I realize that you need to do what you need to do to get yourself and your horse ready to go in the ring, but it’s just common sense to do that in the empty part of the ring, rather than further clogging the jumping area that is already chaotic enough. If you have a horse that needs to get used to the traffic of the jumping area on the flat before you start jumping, then at least go with the traffic and keep an eye out for traffic.

Also, the last event I was at, there were people standing on the rail of the jumping half of the ring, chatting with friends and spectators so that people jumping the warm up fences had to swerve around them. Again, if relaxing and taking a break is part of your warm up strategy, that’s great, do what you need to do. But not at the expense of everyone else.

I’ve never run a show before, so I don’t know the exact motivation, but it really bums me out when there are NO practice dressage rings. I get wanting to keep the show rings nice and not wanting hundreds of horses packing the footing down the night before the event, but if you had a designated dressage ring to size that was just for warm-up, it seems like that wouldn’t cause too many problems. I know dressage rings take forever to set up, so maybe even just measuring out the letters without adding the little fencing or something could be helpful. Wouldn’t go so far as to call that a pet peeve, because I know show management has a lot on their plate, but its something I always find unfortunate.

Also, people that aren’t friendly. This is VERY RARE, as most eventers are SO SO KIND, but every once in a while, you run across one that isn’t. Last event my friend’s husband dropped the two of us and her dog off by the start of cross country. He pulled over, we hopped out, and as I was getting the dog out, a girl rode up and tried to squeeze between the truck and the fence, and then gave me this death glare for taking time to get the dog out. I’m of the opinion that at shows, horses always have the right of way, no matter what, so I smiled and said, “Oh sorry, we’ll hurry and get out of your way!” And she just glared back at me. Like, we’re at a horse show, doing what we all absolutely love. There’s no reason to act like that. Especially when someone apologizes. Who knows, though, she could’ve been having a really rough day. Maybe I’m just spoiled because most eventers are so kind!!

[QUOTE=NCRider;8742162]
What I find particularly enraging about this relatively recent phenomenon is that it is the same BNR’s and their LNBNR minions who are guilty of this while other equally BN BNR’s and their minions with the same large number of rides seem to be able to navigate a horse trial without inconveniencing everyone else. It really is just a matter of extreme rudeness.[/QUOTE]

Same! I had a really sensitive thoroughbred a few years back that was doing his first BN, and once I was ready, I went to the in-gate to get “in line” (what??), but since he was too nervous to stand still, people would come up and stand in front of me, and when the steward would ask who was next, they’d yell that it was them. Finally a trainer came up to get in line, and the next time the steward asked, he pointed to me and said, “She’s been standing here a while, I think its her turn.” Thank goodness! But yeah, if you don’t have an advocate for you on the ground, people push in front of you so quickly.

[QUOTE=goodmorning;8741793]
That being said, I’d love a deep burgundy jacket, and of course can’t justify that purchase w/my attitude towards jackets :lol:[/QUOTE]

Your wish is my command!! I love them too, but I’m afraid the trend will change soon, so I didn’t want to pay a lot for it. This jacket is GREAT. I mean it obviously isn’t the quality of the ones that cost 7x as much, but it is a GREAT option, and looks great in the ring!

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/horseware-competition-jacket-11008?utm_source=cpc&utm_medium=google&utm_content=shopping&utm_campaign=nb_shopping_catch_all&utm_term=Shopping%20-%20Catch-All