Unlimited access >

Eventing Pet Peeves?

[QUOTE=beowulf;8743877]
treating volunteers well is saying “thank you so much for helping” with a smile and a nod - it is not providing you food, water, or shirts.

i’m glad you’re volunteering because i love this sport and appreciate other volunteers, but you are going to be sorely disappointed if you expect a sandwich every time you go out.

have you ever orchestrated a show? it is very expensive and time consuming to make lunch for ~50 people. maybe next time you be in charge of the making lunch if you want to ensure it happens. $500 for a cater for these people is expensive. most shows do not have that budget. have you ever been in charge of any sort of show’s finance? seen how little money shows make after the fact? how much money the officials are paid? maybe the huge venues make $20,000 but around here (and we are in the same area, area 1) most of them don’t make much profit at all. what money they make immediately goes into the upkeep of the facility which is not cheap.

how about how expensive all the show equipment is - the railings for rings, jumps, cross country fences, reseeding/repairing the turf, landscaping, etc. these things are NOT cheap and the profits from shows go to improving the facility, not padding someone’s pockets. after the show, the cleanup is incredible; i have personally seen the amount of money it takes to ‘restore’ a venue and $20,000 is not nothing after you factor in tractor/farm equipment, labor, removal, landscaping, repairs to fences, jump maintenance, ring maintenance, etc.

i only ask these things because i’ve been on that end of the stick with show organizers - it is so exhausting and time consuming volunteering to organize these events and while it is nice to have a lunch there for all volunteers (in a perfect world i’d pay for five star catering for them) sometimes it is not economically feasible.

obviously for big events where they make more money, it is certainly a consideration… but throwing show organizers over the coals at smaller venues for not providing a lunch is not that far from entitlement. i’ve volunteered at almost every venue in area 1 and almost all of them provided water and at least chips/snacks. the smaller venues just don’t have the budget to support catering companies for volunteers - if they did, they wouldn’t need the volunteers in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have done financials for an event. Several times. And I’ve listened to a whole lot of complaining from all sides about the financials of eventing.

I still maintain that feeding people as a thank you for their time, as would be expected in basically any other situation, is not going to be what bankrupts events. Offering a schooling pass costs the event literally nothing. But if you were going to ask your friends to help you build a deck for a day in the sun, would you really not feed them and expect a head pat and a “hey thanks!” To be sufficient?

If 100 people enter an event at $195 each, you have just been paid $19,500 in cash, so all the events you are talking about do bring in that kind of money.

I always find it interesting that the events that cry poverty are NOT the destination events who must support the grounds solely with entries from one event a year. It’s always the people running an operating boarding business saying that events don’t make them enough money. Funny, I would have thought that the costs of maintaining that facility would have been borne by the people using it every day. But nope, we need free labor.

ETA: Janet and I are on the same page, obviously. I’ve volunteered at many small venues that are VERY generous with their volunteers, and large ones which abuse them.

i am not arguing against lunches for volunteers… just trying to point out that not all venues can offer a sandwich/shirt. i’m happy with a sandwich same as any other volunteer, but it doesn’t ruin my experience if a show can’t provide lunch.

i’m just wondering how that is “mistreatment of volunteers”. you think you weren’t treated nicely because someone didn’t give you a sandwich?

when i give back to the sport i don’t expect people to ply me with sandwiches and shirts. i think most volunteers are the same.

if you think that the $19,500 you quoted is the profit a show makes i’m guessing you aren’t familiar with how much money financially it takes to prepare for that show…

i am still wondering which event it was that deprived you of the sandwich - like i said above, almost all the events in area 1 i’ve been to do provide something in the way of beverage/snack.

in a perfect world, i think full gallop has a very good ‘return’ for volunteers - you get one free schooling pass. some of the events in area 1 do this as well.

I used to volunteer a lot (when Poplar was close to me). And no there’s no way I would have sat there for 8+ hours without food and water and no break. Because there was no break. But Poplar was fab about bringing out food, water, drinks and placing porta potties around the course so we could get to the restroom between classes. And a free XC schooling pass to boot. Honestly I’m sorta shocked that other places don’t do that.

I scribe at a show where you’re stuck in the box from really freaking early o’clock til close to lunch. They bring round mid-morning drink and snack for the Judge Only. Lolololol. And the scribe is not allowed to leave.

I am doing the event a favor by donating my time.

What I expect is a little gratitude in return. That means courteous treatment - as normally, when one does a favor, one garners a favor in return.

Jump judging doesn’t exactly engender the same “do good” feeling as say, feeding the homeless. I’m doing it because I want to help out an event or maybe get to see some riders that I wouldn’t normally see - but just as you wouldn’t want to be disrespected anywhere else, getting sent home with a bag of chips and a bottle of Gatorade while competitors are eating at a buffet and drinking their complimentary wine - well, sure makes you feel valued, doesn’t it?

I feel that at the bare minimum, volunteers should be given drinks and lunch. It doesn’t have to be fancy … Water and a sandwich is fine, maybe some granola bars or trail mix … Just something to keep people hydrated and normoglycemic :slight_smile:

Shirts, hats, and the like aren’t necessary … If an event wants to spring for them, great, and it may help keep some volunteers returning, but they are just an extra added little perk, not a necessity. XC schooling passes are a good option when feasible because they allow the volunteers to get some additional compensation for their time (and incentive to keep volunteering), without requiring the event to spend a bunch of extra money.

[QUOTE=phoenixrises;8743967]
I used to volunteer a lot (when Poplar was close to me). And no there’s no way I would have sat there for 8+ hours without food and water and no break. Because there was no break. But Poplar was fab about bringing out food, water, drinks and placing porta potties around the course so we could get to the restroom between classes. And a free XC schooling pass to boot. Honestly I’m sorta shocked that other places don’t do that.[/QUOTE]

It used to be pretty normal. It seems to be going away, though, especially at smaller events.

Having been on both sides of the fence - volunteering and organizing, with financials - there is no excuse for not providing food and drink for volunteers. Volunteers give up their day and their energy so that other people can have a good time, and it can be a thankless and exhausting job. Even if all you can afford, as a very small event, is snacks and water throughout the day, you as an organizer need to prioritize that. If you can’t pay for it, ask small businesses for in-kind sponsorship, like a few flats of water in exchange for advertising, or the “ugly” fruit from the local orchard that comes by the box and goes for a 50 cents a pound. Having a water cooler and a stack of disposable cups on the back of the score-running vehicles is simple and cheap - it puts you out the cost of the cups, a bag of ice, and the time it takes to re-fill the cooler.

What I’ve notices is that smaller events - not just horse sports, but conventions and other sporting events - are usually kinder and more generous to their volunteers. Big-name, big-money events seem to think that the privilege of “backstage” access and maybe a flimsy t-shirt is enough - although I’ve also been fed at sports events that had upwards of a thousand volunteers, so it runs the spectrum.

As for eventing pet peeves - competitors who don’t know the rules.

Know the entry and closing day rules, know the rules for you level, the rules for turn-out, tack, warm-up and competition. Know all the rules of your association that might pertain to you. Know the rules of common etiquette. Know the rules of horsemanship and safety.

Just learn and know the effing rules. And don’t make excuses when you are faulted or penalized for not knowing the rules. As a participant, it is your responsibility to educate yourself.

[QUOTE=kcmel;8743763]
I think brown dressage saddles have an “eventer-y” feel; to me they evoke that whole independent-minded, anti-hunter “everyone looks the same theme”. Plus some horses just can’t wear black :lol:.[/QUOTE]

LOL My black dressage got stolen and the only economical replacement in the same model I found was in brown. I love it :slight_smile:

Volunteer at the So8ths Long Format. Those people soooo take care of their volunteers. Tons of swag, breakfast and lunch on all days, get-together pot-luck dinner the Thursday prior, competitor party invite. And (not that this is the usual) but they paid for my stay in a hotel because I came and volunteered for the whole event. LOVE THIS EVENT! Volunteering next year and hopefully qualifying to compete there in 2018.

Ok some of ya’ll need to volunteer in Area 2, because I have always been treated well! Loch Moy, Waredaca, MCTA, Seneca and Morven have all stuffed me with food and given other passes/bucks/shirts. Great Meadow was a little bit of a mess, but I eventually got a sandwich and had water. Clearly their disorganization wasn’t limited to volunteers though.

As one official commented at a briefing “We can always get competitors; volunteers are far harder to find!” Wise man, that one.

I have been a FJ for decades, from the lowest level up to the Olympics. I will not go back to events that do not feed me. If I am working, for free, from dawn to dusk, without a break and unable to leave the course, then I NEED food. It is not a ‘nice to have’ or a polite gesture.

Back to the subject of pet peeves,

1. People who leave their dogs unattended while they are away from their trailer who proceed to bark incessantly until you want to scream.

2. Trainers who use the warm up ring is the place to give a lesson and ignore anyone else who happens to be in the same ring. I almost ran over a woman who was standing in the dressage warm up giving a lesson. She kept taking steps backward as she talked. I kept yelling “behind you!” as I circled nearby due to limited space, but she was oblivious until she almost walked right into us.

People with zero spatial awareness.

People who misplace their sense of humor and take things way too seriously.

[QUOTE=pologirl27;8744246]
Ok some of ya’ll need to volunteer in Area 2, because I have always been treated well! Loch Moy, Waredaca, MCTA, Seneca and Morven have all stuffed me with food and given other passes/bucks/shirts. Great Meadow was a little bit of a mess, but I eventually got a sandwich and had water. Clearly their disorganization wasn’t limited to volunteers though.[/QUOTE]

This is so true. However, there are exceptions. I recall several years ago scribing for dressage and the judge was provided snacks and drinks and I was not. I found it so offensive that I did not take part in volunteering for that organization for 5 years. It was such a slap in the face.

It is not hard at all to provide volunteers with perks. I have set up gift bags for volunteers that include snacks, coupons to local tack stores, and gifts that I solicited from local tack shops. Those gifts ranged from cute socks to visors to hoof picks and brushes. It takes a bit of time, going around to local stores, but as someone who has been on both sides, those sorts of gifts mean a great deal. As a volunteer, I appreciate the goodies but more importantly, I appreciate the thought behind the tokens.

I have volunteered at Morven and Loch Moy countless times, even though the latter is 2 hours away. I do so because the organizers are so so appreciative and pleasant, and the volunteers are clearly respected; and the events are such high caliber. Carolyn M makes a point of going around and thanking volunteers individually and I have never had a cross word from anyone at those events. I do not return to volunteer at events where that is not the case.

[QUOTE=FrittSkritt;8742382]
People who don’t clean up their manure in trailer parking. TAKE YOUR SH** HOME! (Literally!)

To me, it’s akin to littering. You rarely see people do that any more, but apparently piles of poop are considered OK. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

People who leave their (figurative) shit behind. Lots of time, we’re parking in hay fields, people. The stuff you leave behind – yarn from braids, plastic bags and bottles – can end up in people’s hay bales.

The USPS! Granted, it’s only happened the once, but I one time, having entered electronically, I mailed the sig page/Coggins. Envelope never arrived.

As a volunteer at recognized HTs, and also at our barn’s schooling shows --sometimes it’s a deli sandwich, sometimes it’s something made by another volunteer. Usually a bag of chips and at least one soda, plus the roving score-sheet takers offer up bottled water to jump judges as they pass by. Runners take care of the ring stewards and non jump judge volunteers, and usually there are tubs of bottled water by each ring.

I’m always going to pack my lunch anyway (dietary issues) but I have a hard time saying no to potato chips :slight_smile:

I never have gotten a T-shirt or anything, but… eh, not too bothered as I generally hate how generic T-shirts fit me, so I prob wouldn’t wear it anyway. And as much as I might love to get a baseball cap I… already have so many I don’t wear.

How about water bottles? Order them in bulk, and sell them (cheaply) to competitors, but give them out for free to volunteers? You might not make money, but you might defray your costs. They’d prob have to be aluminum in order to be saleable, though, and they cost $2.25 apiece or so.

Honestly, I think I’d most like to be surprised by is a Freeze Pop (or something) on a hot day, but it looks like those things are expensive due to shipping costs. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Freeze-Jumbo-Mililiters-Ounces/dp/B00BPFX7QI/ref=pd_lpo_325_tr_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=STJM2V84PPJPEABQXP64

For some illogical reason, everyone at all levels wearing white breeches including for x-c bothers me.

The only other eventing pet peeve I have is that I have a really hard time affording it (my problem, organizers, not yours, don’t work in publishing if you need entry fee money).

Is this a gripe or a pet peeve??? The total lack of preplanning for drainage in the stabling at the KHP. So that leads to the inconsiderations of people stabled there. We were there for the Fri/Sat so were loading up to leave Sat aft and the people across the aisle, slightly uphill from the other side of stalls where we were, started running their hose to cold water a horse’s leg (lengthy) when our things were stacked up on the pavement on the side of our trailer to be loaded. Everything we had got soaked, with the manure yuck that develops in those aisles.

Now IMHO the park must have paid dearly for someone to build the stabling area… what planner doesn’t start with drainage issues first??? Who approved that?