Unlimited access >

Eventing scene in Oregon?

Considering eventually relocating to Oregon. I would like to be close to either Mt. Bachelor or Mt. Hood as I am an avid skier. Just wondering if anyone could provide any info for me.

I lived in Portland area for the last year and boarded and trained at Vossenberg Farm in Ridgefield, WA with Anna Collier. She’s really solid and is a very active competitor. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. There doesn’t seem to be much of an eventing scene beyond her and her clients. I only lived there a year though, so I didn’t get too immersed. Lots of H/J and Dressage it seemed.

Thanks. Hoping to buy some land down the road and set up some xc jumps and a galloping track.

Mt. Batchelor has much better skiing than Hood. There used to be large eventing community years and years ago. A fair number of events in Washington, Cle Elm and Aspen Farm have events. Whidbey Pony Club used to have a large event. It may still be around, I don’t know. Meika Decker at Polestar Farm in Snohomish County events - you could reach out to her.

1 Like

Inavale Farm in Philomath has a recognized event every May or June. Whidbey hasn’t had an event for two years, they lost the lease on the land they used to use and are trying to set up somewhere else. Meika Decher, not Decker. She’s in S. Carolina at the moment but reach out to her assistant Allyson Green. Grande Meadows in Vaughn and Rainbow Meadows down around Rochester both have several derbies throughout the season. There’s also the Young Riders Benefit Horse Trial (recognized) that just wrapped up also in Centralia. Lincoln Creek Pony Club holds back to back derbies, they’re at the same venue as YRBHT.

Annie Grandia who owns Grande Farms may be a good resource of more southwest WA / Northern OR horse trials.

Well if I win the lottery I could build a nice eventing venue!!! But thus far in life I have not been that lucky!!!

There is also Brooke Phillips of Willamette Sport Horse based in Corvallis Oregon. Corvallis is about a three hour drive from Bachelor. Kelsey Horn of Pinnacle Equine training based in Phillomath. There is also Stephanie Parker of Parker Eventing based out of Redmand. The Oregon Horse Center does an indoor eventing series in the winter.

1 Like

There’s a huge equestrian facility in the planning stages to be built in the Eugene area; the name is Pegasus Equestrian Park or something like that. It’s going to have camping sites, cross country, covered arenas, and of course, the “luxury resort and spa.” It’s going to be like the Washington State Horse Park on steroids.

https://pegasuseq.com/

1 Like

Hi, Im happy to help in any way I can. I do have a lot of friends in Hood River who actively compete and enjoy the skiing and horses in HR. Heidi West lives there and would be a good one to ask about both sports. In Bend there are a few good places to board and I think really good dressage and HJ barns.

1 Like

You may look more to Bend. Oregon. Very horsey area. Mostly reining/roping stuff. More dry in Sping. Ok cold in winter. Southern Oregon (Grants Pass. Medford) interestingg. But HOT in summer

McMinneville west of I5. Maybe 45 60 60 minutes from Portland lovely but in winmne Coiinters” so prices reflect this.

West of Cascades. Cool wet winters. Hot dry summers.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone, very helpful. Depending on heat and smoke I am hoping to travel up to Bend in September to check it out. I’d like to look at horse property (undeveloped land) so to be affordable, I’m pretty sure that means being some distance from Bend. Not really looking at moving for a few years.

From the map, it looks like it’s well south of Eugene.

They seem a tad cagey about the details, but it looks like it’s just southeast of Eagle Point, near Medford. Douglas County is plenty south.

Among other things, I suggest you study up on the topic of water rights. They will be a big deal and aspect of property-buying and how you’ll keep horse in that part of the world.

That said, Eastern Oregon hay is lovely.

4 Likes

Affordable property with access to water in Oregon. Well. Getting though. Then again Wild Turkey Farm is for sale. 4 miles west off I5 really beautiful…$$$$$$

In the Vancouver Wa, area, there are a number of eventers who ride with Karen O’Neal—she comes in for monthly clinics/lessons at Mt. Norway Farm. This is also where Anna Collier is located. It’s a quick 1.5hr drive to Mt.Hood from here. Hood River itself is very expensive—land and houses are crazy high.

Living in the Bend area means adding 3 hours to any commute to any PNW venue. There are events at Caber, Inavale, Aspen, Spokane, Lincoln Creek, and Rebecca (MT). Check out Area VII Adult Riders FB page.

1 Like

I just moved to Indiana after spending 10 years in Portland. I boarded and trained with Julie Hook at Talisman Farm (a little south of Portland in Aurora). Lots of great areas to live between there and Mt Hood access. Great barn community and lots of adult amateurs. Always a group that goes to all the regional events. The care is fantastic and I never had to worry about my mare while boarding there.

3 Likes

Thanks all. Due to smoke and another issue had to postpone trip to Bend/oregon. Will hope to go another time. Had I flight that landed in Medford (drove to Shasta CA) for a wedding. It looks pretty even though it was very smoky!!! Of course wanting to be farther north. Looking forward to visiting Oregon to look around and get a feel for it when I have a chance.