Unlimited access >

Eventing trainers in Colorado who will travel or do training

Hi! I’m not an Eventer but a Dressage rider. I recently purchased a young horse. Very sweet and willing but very green and cautious. A little spooky. He was started Western but I think he will enjoy dressage.

I’m looking for preferably an Eventing trainer to put some rides on him. The reason I am looking for an Eventer, is I think they just do a great job with a young horse. I want him to get out and see the world, build confidence.

I like Cayla Stone but she’s full right now.

He’s probably still going into her program are some point but it will be a few months I think.

I would love if I could find someone to do a few rides in the meantime. Someone to come to where he’s boarded will be ideal.

Someone who’s patient and understanding of where I’m going with this horse is what I’m looking for. I want forward and confidence installed mostly. It could be someone who’s not an Eventer too. Just someone who will ride OUTSIDE. And not get him behind the bit or backed off.

He’s located near Erie, Colorado.

Adding, there is a trainer at the barn to help with any young horse stuff (And I’ve owned multiple young horses so I’m not completely inadequate.) But a lot of the trainers that I know you’re a great job and some areas but they ride inside 99% of the time. And especially with a young horse that needs a little bit of confidence I just want him outside as much as possible. I’m having just a little bit of support nice for a few months would be great.

She’s not an eventing trainer (although she does have at least one eventer I know of in her barn), but Michelle Plonus at Cloudview might have some availability. She rides outside as much as she can, and the barn is right next to the Carolyn Holmberg Preserve, so they’ll trail ride out there from time to time.

The only thing is I’m not sure she’d travel, so you might have to move him there for a period of time.

2 Likes

Amy Bowers is an event rider/trainer in Fort Collins who also does a lot of natural horsemanship/confidence building work. She has a big social media following (find her on Instagram @ahorsiegirl). She isn’t upper level but she rides beautifully and has great instincts and patience— and all her work is done outside on her ranch. :wink:

Madeline Backus is an upper level event rider who also has experience with bringing along young horses… I think she is in Larkspur (?).

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve seen Any online, gorgeous rider! She definitely could be an option to send him out to as well.

The biggest thing I want is for him to continue to gain confidence but also not shutting him down too much as far as his relationship with forward/the bit. So it doesn’t have to necessarily be an event rider but someone who has some dressage knowledge is ideal. Just so they understand where I will be going with him later on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Volte is in Brighton and Michael Graham works with a lot of young horses at various stages of training on property. They do have a good amount of space at the barn to ride out into the open fields and around the paddocks, as well as an outdoor arena and dressage court, although weather and footing will impact where they’re riding any given day. I suspect you’d have to move him there though if you wanted him on a training schedule. They try to stay active on social media, so there should be videos/pictures on their facebook page, I’m not sure if they have a spot open or not.

1 Like

You might want to check with Angelika Beutel of Summit Equestrian - she’s in Erie. They’re getting back from the FL season today or tomorrow. PM me for contact info if you can’t find it, but she is exactly the style rider you’re looking for from your description.

1 Like