Unlimited access >

Eventing yellow cards 2016

[QUOTE=beowulf;8877266]
I think there needs to be more emphasis placed on carding those that ride fatigued horses period.[/QUOTE]

Agree.

[QUOTE=devvie;8877245]
I’m not her fan or anything but I don’t believe she deserves quite the amount of shit flung at her.[/QUOTE]

That late arrival to the start box at Rolex this year was just bizarre. Add to that the other issues and I’m not a fan.

I will admit to continuing on xc after my 3rd refusal but it was a schooling show. I figure schooling shows tend to be a big more relaxed about that as long as you aren’t being dangerous. None of the stops were dirty. He was sucking back well before the jump so it was a sorta trickle down to the fence but no slamming on brakes.

[QUOTE=beowulf;8877131]
I think some of them know but don’t want their horse to end up walking away learning they can refuse a fence and it’s all over – so many of them continue a jump or two knowing full well the rules. Marilyn Little included and I am surprised she was not marked for that IIRC, was that this year?[/QUOTE]

That was even a bit worse than carrying on after 3 refusals as she had already had had refusals, raised her hand to retire, the announcer states she’s retiring, then she jumps another fence “just because” I guess.

I believe you are referencing moviestarr (sp?). And that was horrible to watch. I am flabbergasted and dismayed they didn’t get pulled up, as was the crowd.

[QUOTE=devvie;8877222]
Maybe since I am Canadian I should bash Clayton for getting a yellow card :cool:[/QUOTE]
Clayton actually received a verbal warning and not a yellow card. And from what I have seen not all Canadians are “bashing” Clayton.

[QUOTE=canuckeventer;8877726]
Clayton actually received a verbal warning and not a yellow card. And from what I have seen not all Canadians are “bashing” Clayton.[/QUOTE]

Rumour on the street is more EC crap is about to hit the fan. No one is talking about it publicly yet, but there are whispers that something else has now happened with EC and riders yet again are VERY upset.

[QUOTE=LadyB;8877947]
Rumour on the street is more EC crap is about to hit the fan. No one is talking about it publicly yet, but there are whispers that something else has now happened with EC and riders yet again are VERY upset.[/QUOTE]

do tell LadyB :wink:

There are times when a rider may not know they were given a stop…especially if they went for some of the options on course in a more creative fashion. Or a horse shuffles going off a bank and the rider may not have felt that one step back that the jump judge saw. Some GJ seem to automatically give a yellow card…others will go talk to the rider and look at the “type” of stops and give the ride the benefit of the doubt.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;8878230]
Some GJ seem to automatically give a yellow card…others will go talk to the rider and look at the “type” of stops and give the ride the benefit of the doubt.[/QUOTE]

BFNE is right – why would Tamie Smith get a yellow card for not showing up to the start box on time at Blenheim, yet ML didn’t at Rolex? All depends on the GJ.

I watched Tammie Smith’s round. The yellow card was well deserved for dangerous riding. Maybe they ran out of space to list everything on the yellow card list. She was completely out of control and could have stopped. At one run out just after the water crossing she could have stopped but kept going. She eventually ran through the rope into a section with spectators. A ride eerily similar to her ride on the same horse in Florida where she got the other yellow card last year. While it was very wet…her excuse about slippery reins is just really weak if you watched the round. She showed very poor judgment again. The commentators were at a loss why she did not show up for her scheduled time and at first they said she must have withdrawn. I can understand why the selectors did not put her on the team at Boekelo this week.

Well Tamies was Incorrect Behaviior / so who knows what else happened. I’ve never encountered Tamie but having encountered other late or disgruntled UL riders, not always a well mannered encounter…anytime I read Incorrect behavior I tend to think person could’ve been an a$$. Perhaps that’s a misinterpretation of FEI yellow are protocol.

Just read Sharon’s post, seems like a case where the yellow card was earned for a variety of reasons. Which is likely often the case.

[QUOTE=goodmorning;8880341]
Well Tamies was Incorrect Behaviior / so who knows what else happened. I’ve never encountered Tamie but having encountered other late or disgruntled UL riders, not always a well mannered encounter…anytime I read Incorrect behavior I tend to think person could’ve been an a$$. Perhaps that’s a misinterpretation of FEI yellow are protocol.

Just read Sharon’s post, seems like a case where the yellow card was earned for a variety of reasons. Which is likely often the case.[/QUOTE]

Tamie is super nice and not ill mannered at all…at least not what I saw. I was at Blenhiem and did not hear of any rudeness.

All I’m seeing listed for Tamie Smith is a verbal warning for failing to present to XC on time … am I missing something?

I know she ended up pulling up at Blenheim, due to having control issues but I didn’t see the round myself. However, I see nothing on the yellow card list about dangerous riding. :confused:

[QUOTE=Sticky Situation;8880377]
All I’m seeing listed for Tamie Smith is a verbal warning for failing to present to XC on time … am I missing something?

I know she ended up pulling up at Blenheim, due to having control issues but I didn’t see the round myself. However, I see nothing on the yellow card list about dangerous riding. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yeah…all I see is a verbal warning…no yellow card…and no mention of dangerous riding or bad behavior.

I don’t know Tamie at all - just stating a general observation from riders running late, having a bad day, or while disagreeing with some established protocols. I’ve witnessed screaming & no cards. So really, nothing surprises me. Hopefully rider rudeness is trending downward.

Interesting to hear both sides of the “head slapping”…the rider and the stewart are miles apart on what actually happened.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/miller-and-murphy-receive-yellow-cards-virginia-horse-trials

Tongue in cheek (somewhat): “dashboard” cameras for all riders in the 10-minute box? Same thing been mandated for police forces around NA?!?

[QUOTE=Jealoushe;8924452]
Interesting to hear both sides of the “head slapping”…the rider and the stewart are miles apart on what actually happened.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/miller-and-murphy-receive-yellow-cards-virginia-horse-trials[/QUOTE]

That is interesting. I’m not a fan of hitting horses in the face, but it’s not abusive to wave a hand in the air toward the horse’s eye to back them out of your space. Big, adrenaline-filled horses can be rude after XC, and it’s not safe to let them walk all over people. I don’t know what happened in this case and I’m not defending either side.

[QUOTE=EventerAJ;8924594]
That is interesting. I’m not a fan of hitting horses in the face, but it’s not abusive to wave a hand in the air toward the horse’s eye to back them out of your space. Big, adrenaline-filled horses can be rude after XC, and it’s not safe to let them walk all over people. I don’t know what happened in this case and I’m not defending either side.[/QUOTE]

Like I told my pro friend when we were discussing this today, it would behoove Missy Miller and other young pros like her to learn to save the more aggressive punishment for home and get a calm groom with a chain for competitions. I have groomed for some feral upper level horses, and we managed just fine to stay safe.

I would rather the FEI err on the side of too strict than too lenient. Everyone gets the same rule book.

It’s the fourth time she’s made the list this year.

[QUOTE=CatchMeIfUCan;8924700]
Like I told my pro friend when we were discussing this today, it would behoove Missy Miller and other young pros like her to learn to save the more aggressive punishment for home and get a calm groom with a chain for competitions. I have groomed for some feral upper level horses, and we managed just fine to stay safe.

I would rather the FEI err on the side of too strict than too lenient. Everyone gets the same rule book.

It’s the fourth time she’s made the list this year.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Ive had a horse come off course in the vet box who basically would try to run you down. Eventually we figured out a routine for him after XC at FEIs. I would never raise my hand to a horse in the vet box.

Missy Miller needs to get her FEI situation figured out, this wouldn’t make me want to send a horse to her program.