Unlimited access >

Everything eventing!

[QUOTE=Gabby10109;7685102]
Thanks guys for your helpful advice. I’m not trying to brag or anything but I do want the best, because perfect practice makes perfect. I do know of goose downs and plan to go check out their stables at some point! Is it possible to get to the upper level eventing with only one horse?[/QUOTE]

It is possible but NOT probable. You do not need a string of horses BUT the horse you need now to learn the sport is NOT likely the horse that will take you to the UL. But you are a LONG way from being ready for the UL no matter how good you are now plus at 15 you are not allowed either. You need to learn the basics on a good horse for you now. That is why I suggested leasing a nice horse. But really, you need to take some lessons with a good trainer and help them find you the right horse. Then SLOW down. It’s nice to have goals and dreams but stay a bit more grounded. You need to first become good and competitive at novice/training level. Then Prelim, then you can start looking at the ULs. But you need to have good training and run around a bunch of courses before you have developed the skills to ride at the ULs. This takes years.

[QUOTE=Gabby10109;7685104]
Would it be better to just get FABLOUS riding lessons without a horse? Or get a horse and train with someone great?[/QUOTE]

Eventing isn’t all about you. It is about your partnership with your horse. There is a reason that you do not see a lot of “catch” riding in eventing. Best is to get an appropriate horse for you and your level, AND fabulous lessons.

Perfect practice does not involve the most expensive gear. For someone new to the sport, as everyone else has said, your most important “gear” is going to be a good trainer. Then a horse to lease or buy - there are lots of nice horses who know their jobs through training who would make a great partner for you while you are learning the sport.
Plenty of time to focus on longer term goals and upper levels once you are solid at training level. Do take the advice about going to the event near you - volunteer or go as someone’s groom for a good introduction to the sport.
It’s a great sport but it is a lot of work!

Get a horse and train with someone great. (Aka who has numerous accomplishments or recent students competing at the level you are aspiring to.) If you’re as good as you say you’ll be, a coach will help you find better horses to ride.

OP - check out the eventing barns and sites others have noted. Take some lessons with the suggested trainers, hopefully on one of their horses. Your h/j attire is just fine. Do this to determine if you really want to event. I love the sport, but it is not for everyone.
Once you have a really good idea about the sport, then you can look for a horse and needed gear.
Money can buy a lot of things, but not proficiency in horsemanship.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7683832]
Sounds like a teenager’s grammar, not somebody who is in their late 20’s.[/QUOTE]
And in my profession, “money is no object” is code for “I have no money”

[QUOTE=Gabby10109;7684118]
Yes I’m 15 and I didn’t know I sounded like I didn’t care. I’m a really good rider as it is and from my thought process I can learn faster then a horse can…[/QUOTE]

Well then you’d sure be a different student.

Many would rather train horses than teach students, because a well trained horse learns much faster than most students.

See if you can find some good eventing camps and clinics this summer. It will be hard but not impossible to find an event horse who you can lease for the camps. Check the USEA website and see what is available. Would your family let you fly to Vermont or Kentucky or even Ireland for camp? Clonshire Stables in Adare, Ireland, at least used to run some good camps for teenagers. Playland Farm in Maryland might design a program for you for a few weeks. They have several teenagers who have been out eventing and taking lots of lessons for much of the summer.

Start organizing now as the summer is almost over.

OP, go find a top trainer and enlist that person’s help in finding all that you need to succeed. If you have a list of trainers you are considering, post that list here and you can get advice on who is best for a young rider. This forum allows for private messaging.

http://useventing.com/education/icp/directory-certified-eventing-instructors

The trainer is the first and most important step. Find one, take a few lessons, and then go shopping! Heck, if funds are no problem, you can probably get a lovely schoolmaster that can take you up to prelim for 50k or so.

My experience is that trainers are very motivated to develop great young riders because they are the future stars. So if you are a good rider, with talent, motivation, and funds, you will get the time and attention that you need to excel.

You will not want to purchase saddle, etc until you have a horse and then you can go out and get custom dressage and jump saddles for 5k each.

So if $$ is no problem, then I assume you parents are ready to spend upwards of 100k over the next year or so. You go girl! I wish I had been you!

Bump

You say

I did hunter/jumper for a year

What level? (What height, and what kind of shows?)

That will affect the advice.

Eventing in NM can be challenging. The options I know of are: Simply Three Day in Santa Fe, which seems to have lesson horses. Goose Downs Farm in Galisteo, which also seems to have lesson horses. They have their own XC course from pre-comp to Intermediate that is used for two recognized events, good instructors, and other kids ride there. I love Kathleen Russell out of ABQ, but she has no facilities and no horses.

I bring up the lesson horses as it will take some time for you to find your super star horse, so you’ll need something to ride in the meantime.

As they saying goes - Most people do not need a $35,000 horse, most people need $34,000 in LESSONS and a $1,000 horse.

If you REALLY want to get into this eventing thing, and excel as fast as possible - I would recommend doing THIS:

Go to a big event. Walk the barns - see what trainers are there with a good number of students. Then watch the warm up arenas. Watch how the trainers work with their students. See which ones are riding well, which trainers are excellent teachers.

Watch the event - all phases, as many divisions as possible. Who is successful? Who isn’t? What horses seem relaxed and happy in their job? What riders look confident and happy? Take notes.

Once you have observed, research into the trainers you are interested in. Where are their facilities? Do they have openings for students?

Then I would start riding with the best trainer you can. If they allow it, become a “barn rat” for them. My eventing coach allowed me to arrive at 7:00 and head home at 6:00, 6 days a week. I handled horses, cleaned tack, groomed for the trainer, watched countless lessons - rode in lessons, eventually several a day. As my skills increased, and my willingness to do “hard work” became clear, I was granted with even more horses to ride. Eventually riding around 6 a day, and participating in 3+ lessons each day.

Eventually my green $500 horse and I were competing at prelim level.

Let the trainer help guide you to a suitable horse. And buying tack before the horse is, as the saying goes “putting the cart before the horse”.

You will NOT make it in eventing by throwing money at it. Fancy saddles will not get you around an XC course, and importing a “made” eventer will not matter a lick if you can’t ride it.

As far as “perfect practice makes perfect” - read this post from Denny Emerson. Start following Tamarack Hill Farm on facebook (and BUY HIS BOOK!).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tamarack-Hill-Farm/109161715946

The Power of “Pretty Good”

There is a dangerous saying. “Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect.”

Why “dangerous”? Well, because it`s a good way to drive horses right up the wall and over the edge. As much as that saying may apply in some matters, emotionally fragile horses are at great risk in the hands of perfectionists.

Take this scenario as an example—
You are practicing trotting down the center line and halting at X. Each time theres a flaw, a little too late in the halt, perhaps, not quite square, whatever. Its “pretty good” but it`s not perfect.

You are a perfectionist, so pretty good isnt good enough for you. So you keep drilling, and the horse starts to get more nervous, so now you REALLY keep drilling, and before you know it, its World War 3.

Learning to be content with “pretty good” takes work from those people about whom we say “She will not be pleased.” But its an attitude thats a great asset to a horse trainer.
Stack up days and days of pretty good, and they often turn into pretty darn good indeed. But let drilling become grinding for perfection, and God forbid you should be that rider`s horse.
Younger riders, highly driven competitive riders, those with anger issues----this is where we are most apt to see lack of acceptance of “pretty good” on a daily basis.

As already mentioned, there aren’t a ton of options in eventing in NM. Not sure where in NM you are, but if you’re want to take up prior posters’ recommendations to go to an event and learn, your timing is good - The Event at Santa Fe (hosted by Goose Downs) is coming up in just a couple of weeks (Aug 15-17):

http://useventing.com/competitions/omnibus-list?event=15685

Are you in ABQ or in Santa Fe? When I thought I had a job in ABQ, there was a really great dressage instructor in the far north valley. I can hunt up her name if you want it. While, she’s just dr, she could get you started in plopping your butt in the saddle :smiley:
Then Jeffray Ryding and Tom Angle up at Goosedowns are fabulous people. I would have gone this route if I was there.
And volunteer at their event! It’s a great way to get a feel for an event and all events welcome volunteers.

1 Like