Unlimited access >

Everything eventing!

Hiya all,

So I did hunter/jumper for a year and now I really want to do eventing. You see alot of equine stars are very young and I was wondering if I could still start an equestrain career at an older age...like my late 20s? I also need help on finding top of the line eventing tack, money is no problem, if you guys kno any good tack company's, including; saddles, bridles, bits and leg wraps, that would be awesome. Now I'm looking for a young irish sport horse that's at least at the prelim level. And do you guys know of any good irish sport horse breeders! Thanks!

BUMP

Have you gone schooling cross country yet? Proficient at dressage to at least first level? Spectated at an event? Taken lessons with an event coach or trainer? Why worry about top of the line tack, when your h/j gear will suffice along with some basic dressage stuff.

So you rode hunter/jumper for a year and now you want to event prelim?? Unless I am missing something in your riding experience, I highly recommend you spend the $$ on lessons with a good eventing instructor to evaluate what level you can safely be riding at and help match you with a suitable mount for your experience and personality.

Simple answer: yes.

I’d go call up the best eventing trainer in my area, have her shop for a great schoolmaster with me, and take 18374 lessons with her/him before truly considering a career change.

sometimes I wonder about threads like this when the OP’s have made only 1 or 2 posts on COTH. I’ve seen more than a few of these. I don’t want to be rude, but this almost sounds like it’s made up to get people to react.

I can’t imagine anyone all of a sudden deciding they need a horse going prelim if they’ve never evented before.

As a side note, if I took the largest oxers I’ve jumped at the jumper shows and turned them into solid fences, they would all of a sudden look twice as large. :lol:

I agree SnicklefritzG, most likely a troll. Kinda hoping it is. It scares me anyone would jump into this sport so lightly. Money does a lot a things, but it can’t save your butt over a fence.

Sounds like a teenager’s grammar, not somebody who is in their late 20’s.

I thought trollyness oozed from the OP but gave her the benefit of the doubt. Definitely sounds like a young person, not (one hopes!) a twenty something.

I thought this was a joke when I first read it… I don’t think I can take this seriously.

Oh oh, I know where you can find great ISH breeders – you can just charter a jet to Ireland! To save yourself time, just invite John Nunn to ride over with you so he can write you out an invoice for the entire BoB catalogue. Buy a stabling block on the Badminton Estate so you’ve got somewhere decent to practice and you should be ok.

Problem solved, you’re welcome!! :cool:

Yes I’m 15 and I didn’t know I sounded like I didn’t care. I’m a really good rider as it is and from my thought process I can learn faster then a horse can…

Often the chalanges associated with eventing require quick desision making skills obtained through years of experience, good luck in your search.

Lots of people buy their way into upper level eventing…it’s done all the time , but most of us have to do it the slow way…building the skills, training the horse, getting the miles

[QUOTE=Gabby10109;7684118]
Yes I’m 15 and I didn’t know I sounded like I didn’t care. I’m a really good rider as it is and from my thought process I can learn faster then a horse can…[/QUOTE]

yes and no. Eventing takes feel and reaction time that is built through experience. You don’t need top of the line equipment as much as you need really good training.

Your first event horse doesn’t need to be the one that will take you to the top. But they should know more than you. Breed should not matter AT ALL. Ideally you should look into leasing first and work with a top trainer who is good with teaching young riders.

So a better question from you is who should you be going to get training with. Where are you located? Beyond that, the equipment is secondary and not the hard part.

Get to some clinics (even just to audit), go volunteer at some events. Have some fun and don’t be so focused on making this your career. Focus on developing your partnership with your horse and learning everything that you can.

I think one of the key phrases in the OP is “money is no problem.” Assuming not a troll… I wrote an article last year about a woman who showed in Western riding, did very well, then saw eventing on TV during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and decided she’d like to do that. Found a trainer, bought a horse and competed all up and down the east coast before deciding she’d aged out of eventing (also had 2 kids by then). And granted she went through a couple of different horses as she learned about eventing.
She then decided to go into dressage, bought some nice dressage horses and has now earned her Bronze and Silver USDF medals and, with another new horse, is working on her gold.
So having the money to buy good horses and get good training – and possibly not having to earn a living at the same time - can put things in place easier than than someone starting on a shoestring. Likely? Probably not. Put possible? Yes.

New Mexico? Your first step is to at least spectate, preferably to volunteer, at the Event at Santa Fe in August. Dressage and SJ at The Downs at Santa Fe on Saturday, XC on Sunday at Goose Downs in Galisteo. Most eventers in NM go to that event, so it’s a good place to start getting an idea of which trainers you might like to work with. Since you’re 15, you can also look into the various Pony Clubs: Watermelon Mtn in ABQ, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, and Roswell. I know kids from Santa Fe, Los Alamos and Watermelon event, Roswell is so south don’t know them as well.

1 Like

OP, if money is truly not an issue, forget about having nice tack and throw the money at great instruction and clinics. Good quality lessons will get you soooo far and keep you safe. Even at the BN level, it can be dangerous if you don’t have a good trainer. There are plenty of good older reliable horses out there on their way back down from the upper levels who still want a job and are perfect for riders working their way up. No need to head over to Ireland just yet. I wish I had the $$ to work with top notch instructors. I know I would be so much further along in my training. Like others said, volunteer at some shows and get a feel for the sport. You will be hooked after watching your first XC rider go by.

Thanks guys for your helpful advice. I’m not trying to brag or anything but I do want the best, because perfect practice makes perfect. I do know of goose downs and plan to go check out their stables at some point! Is it possible to get to the upper level eventing with only one horse?

Would it be better to just get FABLOUS riding lessons without a horse? Or get a horse and train with someone great?