Everything to know about Kissing Spine, please! (And general update of rehabbing him and his issues now!)

These goofy boy is teaching me so much. I admit some times I have gotten kind of frustrated over the last year… But I remind myself that it is mostly because of his discomfort. He can be really funny. Like when he’s really feeling good he’s like an old broke horse. But he can be really tense and spooky (while still trying to be good) And that gets exhausting to manage. But I’m hoping we’re getting onto the other side. I know he can be really cool. In my opinion he will always be a little bit of a horse that wants to look at stuff but his spooking seems to be directly related to discomfort.

The other day was his 3rd session with the long lines. The first session he did get scared changing direction and got loose (trainer was doing it.) Then the second session he was really trying to figure things out but pretty confused. He kept wanting to stop and turn. But this third session he came out acting like he really had the idea and was able to do turns around some barrels and even introduce some trot at the end. It was really fun watching his gears turn and his brain and see some confidence come out of it! He doesn’t like not knowing the answer and he gets a bit flustered. But once he’s sure that he knows the right answer he kind of puffs right up.

Every horse is a journey. Really hoping the prostride makes a difference. He deserves to feel 100%. Obviously at this point I’m pretty doubtful if he’ll be able to fulfill the goals that we had. But I still am enjoying the learning that’s happening regardless. It’s one of my favorite parts of horses. So many details and so much to learn.

8 Likes

Obviously he still needs to build much much more top line but there is definitely a difference in the dip in front of his croup (as someone who sees in person everyday.) So that makes me happy. And that’s with very very light work still, so I really hope the pro-stride helps us get back into full work.

6 Likes

He got his Pro-stride injections today! And I had the vet show me in detail how she recommended to palpate his back, so I can confidently keep an eye. No soreness found again, if anything he seemed to thing it felt good lol!

Crossing my fingers so hard for him! He gets one week off work (other than hand walking and carrot stretches) then it’s under saddle again:)

6 Likes

Curious cause this comes up a lot and I have seen it done 10001 different ways, but how did your vet recommend back
palpation.

Me too that’s why I figured I’d ask her directly. She said to use the flat part of your fingers and reach to the opposite side of the spine and kind a firm feel with the flat part of your fingers. Almost a pulling type feel.

Not sure if I’m explaining it. She wasn’t a fan of using just like one or two fingers along the back or she said not to use anything like a pen which some people use.

4 Likes

Pro Stride in his back, or his SI?

I’m curious… my mare is due to go back to the vets for a checkup/injections. We’ve been using steroid in her SI, back, along with mesotherapy. I am concerned about long-term use of steroid injections, so am trying to educate myself on other therapies.

2 Likes

I’m interested in this, too. I have a horse who needs to avoid steroids for the rest of her life, so curious to know other options if/when we ever get to this point? (Fingers crossed, no need so far!)

Pro stride for his stifles. We did just do a steroid in his back 6 weeks ago and then a few weeks ago I did mesotherapy, which I had heard multiple success stories with, so I definitely will be trying that again if he presents back sore again.

The stifles have been a thing for a while but I think we didn’t really have the whole picture. I think the stifles and the back need to both be treated.

His SI has not shown any soreness so no treatment for that at the moment anyways… But we will be continuing with massage as much as I can.

I think IPEsq did Pro-stride in her horse’s SI though if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion guys his back has been 100% pain-free since the steroid and Mesotherapy. We are now focusing on the stifles . I’m of the mindset that if his back hurts he wasn’t going to be able to use his stifles correctly. And if his stifles hurt he’s not going to be able to use his back correctly…

4 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense! I will ask my vet what she thinks, long term.

1 Like

I think next time I’m going to personally try mesotherapy in the back first then go to a steroid or alternative injection. But my horse does not present with severe back pain, he was fairly mild. Obviously that could change but for now pain free so fingers crossed we stay that way for a long time (like forever!)

1 Like

Yes, my horse that can’t do steroids has had good results with Pro Stride in the SI.

2 Likes

And finally we rode him yesterday. His back has been feeling good. We did pop him on the lunge for 5 minutes before just to see how he felt about having a saddle on him again. I’m teaching him how to longline so that I hopefully never have to lunge him but since he’s still new at it it’s not really like a quick little thing lol. He was cool as a cucumber on the lunge though.

And after not being ridden for like 2 months he was perfect! My trainer ride today, I t was probably just 20 minutes total. Walk/ trot in a longer frame. Fingers crossed it continues. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I worked him in the equiband ,belly straps only still, today (So far we had only been working in the walk) and I don’t think he looked 100%, but I think that’s more hind end. Otherwise he was more freely forward and stretching down the normal. But also relaxed while still being forward and not a maniac. All good things. I think I’m just going to use some equioxx for the next two weeks or so and then see what we have. Certainly not ideal but since there has been some improvement and I’m short on cash that’s kind of what it has to be unless things take a turn the other direction!

I’m also going to do some trading services for some bodywork for him in the next week or two :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Glad to hear he is progressing under your program.

Just ran across this article and thought this thread would be a good place to drop it:
https://equusmagazine.com/news/a-new-approach-for-treating-kissing-spine/?fbclid=IwAR2mSHC8QMTasRZA6KB5SKAm2j8i6pHtXJ9mWTzBjidigsTANGq4jfvTGO4

6 Likes

Very interesting!

That’s really interesting! It’s like the improvement from the old patellar ligament desmotomy which entirely severed the ligament for UFP horses, and the newer (but still old at this point) method of just making some incisions within the ligament.

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking that too! Sounds very similar.

1 Like

Unfortunately with having to put my dog down and then getting in a car accident, we’ve been thrown off our positive momentum with a kissing Spine.
He was mildly sore the other week during a massage(the day of my car accident.)

Unfortunately I’m still pretty down and out and of course the trainer is pretty busy with the holidays still (she has kids that are home right now) ugh!

I’m not going to panic, yet. I think I’ll put him on robaxin or equioxx for a little as we bring him back into work. And might look into mesotherapy again.

It’s disappointing but I can’t really change my circumstances so I’ll just have to hope for the best.

1 Like

Ugh I’m so sorry to hear about ALL of that. When sh*t happens, it happens all at once it seems.

Have you tried BoT or a heated blanket to warm him up while you groom? I find my KS horse is worse when he’s just standing around being cold (well, he’s BUNDLED up, but they aren’t moving much). Loosening him up as much as possible even before you start walking might help :woman_shrugging:t3:

Here’s hoping for new progress and both of y’all feeling better!

3 Likes