Excited about new program

I have posted before about the loss of my sister a few years ago. She was a victim of domestic abuse: emotional, psychological and physical. I tried to help her when she fled her abuser, and she told me many times that being in my barn and spending time with my horses gave her great comfort during a terrible time in her life. She was never a horsey girl, but she told me that she finally understood why I love horses so much, and she hoped someday to have a barn of her own where she and her daughters could have a horse of their own.

She told me that the serenity, peace and calm she found with the horses gave her back some of the confidence and happiness that her husband had stolen from her, and helped her cope with the powerlessness, humiliation and emotional and physical scars he inflicted on her.

Sadly, she didn’t survive the nightmare created by her abuser, but I will never forget her words that day. As a volunteer in equine assisted therapy for ten years, I had always been on the helping side of the relationship, but after my sister’s tragic death, my horses saved my life.

In my sister’s honor, I became a therapeutic horseback riding instructor. It has always been my dream to offer equine assisted therapy to women and children who have been victims of domestic abuse. I helped to write a grant propsal for a pilot program last fall and I just received word that we have been awarded a grant!

I feel like my sister’s spirit will be right there with us when we get the program underway. There are some really wonderful people who are on board this project, and I’m hoping we can help make life a little bit easier for women and children who need a safe place to love, regain their joy and learn about the healing power of horses. Out of tragedy, comes hope.

I just had to share this with people who really ‘get it’. :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry for the loss of your sister, but what a wonderful program you created. I wish you much success and I pray and hope you can help many people.

congrats!:slight_smile:

Best wishes for success.

Chai, you know she is beaming down upon you. I remember all of this happening, it was just awful. How wonderful that something so good can come out of such sadness. :sadsmile:

Thats exciting news and your sister must be smiling down at you!