Maybe this s/b in the Vent thread, but it’s specific to Driving, so you are my Chosen Audience (& Jury).
Apologies, this gonna be lengthy…
Driving friend is an Older Gent - now 83.
He’s quite a competent Driver, recently retired from doing Events - Weddings, Parades, etc - with his horses.
Has 3 at home, all early to late 20s, Halflinger mare & 2 DraftX geldings. Drives most often on roads near his property & nearby State parks. When weather is good, sometimes 3DW driving for 2-3h.
In the past, his showing has been limited to the County Fair. Where he has always had great success, regularly taking 1st in Gamblers Choice & usually 1st or 2nd in Driving classes.
This Summer he took 5th in a Driving class & my 2¢ says this is why he’s decided he needs a flashier moving horse.
Fine, his $$, his Life.
That said, the adult daughter of another Driving friend found online a prospect in a state 12H from here.
Friend 2 is an Energizer Bunny, always on the move - though somewhat slowed recently by bad knees. She’s most often the one who drives with him, along with another Club member or 2.
Back to the Find:
16yo FSH, video reportedly looks good (& I trust his eye) but when he told me, my question was why so far?
Plenty horses available in our area - we’re 2h from a large Amish community.
Where recently, the DHH & crosses that don’t make the cut for breeding or sales to (English) show homes end up on the roads & for sale.
Friend 2 has offered to make the drive with him, trailer in tow, to try the horse.
I suggested flying - mainly to avoid the 2+ day RT.
I know it could mean a return trip, but he asked me about Commercial shippers when he told me about the Find.
Friend has trouble staying awake driving. I’ve been with him when this happens, most recently a 3h drive, where I took over the last 2h, while he slept.
F2 says she can drive the whole trip.
And she did so, 4yrs ago, w/daughter, to FL to pick up her new horse. Also a Friesian.
Yes, he turned out to be a very, nice horse.
But I suggested to both looking closer to home.
Even suggested contacting Club members who actively competed CDE to see if they might know someone with a horse stepping down from competition.
& Found a STB rescue in a nearby state with a 9yo gelding broke to drive, “in training” to ride.
I msg’d the rescue asking if a trial drive could be arranged (w/friend’s harness & cart).
Sent him the info w/pic of horse yesterday.
No response yet from either.
AITA for trying to keep things closer to home?