Unlimited access >

Exercise and my lungs

I’ve got CLL and bronchiectasis and depend on supplemental oxygen. I’m trying to exercise either on my elliptical and it’s not going well. After about a minute my chest gets really tight but my oxygen saturation is about 95. It’s really uncomfortable. I wonder of I am simply over stressing and panicking. My stats aren’t that bad.

Any suggestions? I have my concentrator set at 3 l. I can do more if I set it at 6 l

What, if any, changes in respiratory rate are you seeing?

1 Like

My rate is pretty constant around 20. If I breathe faster I start to choke.

1 Like

@Graymaresrule, I don’t know if this will be helpful to you or not… I have heart and lung damage from chemo and radiation due to Hodgkin’s lymphoma. I jump/jog on a mini trampoline. I can’t do an elliptical due to radiation damage in my neck- it’s way too painful. I wish you the very best and hope someone here can help…
Edited to add I choke a bit anyway. Somehow, the trampoline strengthens my neck and I don’t choke as much if I’m consistent.

1 Like

@Graymaresrule

if you can exercise a minute and then your chest gets tight, what happens if you exercise for 45 seconds, then pause for 15 and do some deep breathing, and then continue with the exercise? are you able to keep going for another 30 or 45 seconds before things get tight?

maybe you just need to work on “interval” training with super short intervals to start with.

3 Likes

Are you using a lung exerciser regularly?
I use mine for hard to control asthma 15 minutes at half strength three times a day and it has helped very much.
If you are not using one, ask your pulmonologist about one.
There are different ones, this one may not be the best for you, or it may:

1532017212aerobika-oscillating-positive-expiratory-pressure-opep-therapy-system-P.png

Thanks I do use one but not for that long.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I was trying to do 3 minutes at a time.

2 Likes

I had to take my husband to the ER this past Monday and while there had an issue with my oxygen. The nurse who helped me said that some of my distress was due to anxiety. Well yes, worry has always been my middle name. So going on that premise I am trying to walk outside more and see how that goes before I try the elliptical again.

We were shocked to find out that my husband tested positive for COVID. He did get the most recent vaccination.

Also shocked that I do not have it.

2 Likes

I don’t know about you, but I totally panic when anything is wrong with my husband. I am more and more dependent on him every day. My daughter is nearby and will do anything she can to help us, but she works more than full time and also has a life. We try not to impose on her, although she is the one who talked us into moving back into the area. She was afraid we would need her and it would just take her too long to get to us.

Jingling for both of you.

Rebecca

3 Likes

Oh for sure. COVID brain fog is a thing. And it’s terrifying.

2 Likes

I’ve got COVID.

I have an appointment for my IVIG tomorrow so I figured they would ask about my exposure so I did the test. Now I probably won’t be able to get my IVIG for 3 weeks.

1 Like

I am sorry @Graymaresrule that you have Covid.

Covid really and truly sucks big time.

3 Likes

So sorry that you have it. Jingling for a quick recovery!

Rebecca

3 Likes

I hope you feel better soon!

4 Likes

Thanks. I feel about the same. The only reason I tested myself was my husband’s positive test. I knew the cancer center would want to know. Unfortunately now I am banned from the center for three weeks so I have to skip my IVIG.

3 Likes