Exercise motivation when you hurt?

Not, of course, the “omg, you are doing damage to yourself pulling a muscle, stop that” acute hurt from a specific injury, but when you have chronic pain.

(I apologize if anyone on the COTH Sparkpeople group sees this cross-posted. :slight_smile: )

I have arthritis in multiple joints (autoimmune type, not osteo-) and I KNOW that exercise is helpful and I REALLY REALLY want to spend the time between now and when it gets warm enough for me to ride comfortably regularly getting myself in better shape for riding (we won’t talk about my shape right now :winkgrin: ) but I’m having a horrible time with motivation.

I’m sort of in between treatments (off the NSAIDs by the handful because I’m starting something systemic, but it takes time to kick in properly) and everything is just that extra bit achy and fragile feeling.

(Note that I have not actually been told to refrain from exercising by my doctor - in fact, she encourages it as long as it’s not anything high impact. Jumping up and down on concrete? Bad idea. :slight_smile: )

Plus, my usual “get out there and do something” option - walking the dog, since I can just focus on the dog - is off the table until the meds kick in properly, because even in decent walking shoes, walking on concrete or pavement for any distance results in Very Unhappy knees and ankles for the next 2-3 days.

Any ideas? Swimming is an option, but I’m trying to think of other things that require less planning, too (stuff that I could do at home) because swimming requires getting myself, plus swim attire, to the gym, so it’s not really an “I’m feeling okay right now, I’ll hop up and do something” activity.

What about yoga or pilates? Both are better done in a class setting if you are just starting because there are subtle things about form that make a big difference (things you wouldn’t know to focus on, or wouldn’t know you are doing wrong if you don’t have some hands-on experience), but there are LOTS of tapes on the market that you can do at home with just a little bit of space and a mat or carpet.
You can get a great workout AND it’s stuff that should really complement your riding.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I use an elliptical regularly. I bought a new one, although there are plenty of ads for used ones, and I find it’s the kindest to my poor battered joints.

I also liked NeverTime’s suggestion of yoga or pilates. I’ve thought of adding those.

Another possibility is the exercise videos available from the Arthritis Foundation. When my RA was not yet controlled, I did their stretching and isometrics, and then worked up to their no impact aerobics. I’m able to be much more active now (thank you, meds!), but would go back to that option if I couldn’t use the elliptical.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Rebecca

I have had chronic back problems from a combo of being large chested and with mild scoliosis. I’ve found that karate helps alot. On those days I wake up feeling stiff and hung over (but am well hydrated and haven’t drank), I feel like a million bucks after an hour of karate.
It really helps with riding too. I tend to get at least 20 minutes in before I head to the barn because it cuts my warm up time WAY down

Walking laps in a pool - keep your eyes half-closed or blurred, and imagine that your horses head, neck & pointy ears are in front of you as you ride. I have osteo and every day hurts, but dang-nab-it, I WILL find a way to get myself to a local pool and walk laps BECAUSE I WANT TO RIDE! And envisioning being on my horse, while doing those pool laps, motivates me. YMMV
:slight_smile: J

I have an autoimmune disease that affects my muscles, tendons & ligaments throughout my entire body; I get very stiff and sore, especially when it’s cold. i try to always workout first thing in the morning because I know I will be too tired/sore at the end of the day. And, when I am really sore, and am struggling to get out of bed, I try to remind myself that I will feel better after, and that it’s one thing that I can control. I too bought an elliptical to have at home. I agree that it’s hard to get motivated when you have to go somewhere else. I do love hot baths/showers, if they help, maybe you could do that to warm up your joints, then do a little exercise. As someone else also mentioned, home videos are great. I have an extensive library of them depending on what kick I’m on!! Good luck!