Unlimited access >

Exercises to Help Locking Hips?

Hello everyone! I have finally corrected many of my other issues when riding such as grippy knees, weak lower leg, and tilting upper body. But, I have found that I am struggling with my hips locking up as I ride. It is mainly noticeable when I go to jump. As I try to keep my upper body still, my hips lock and do not follow the horse’s movement over the jump. I think this is due to me not having a truly independent seat. Are there any exercises I can do to improve?

I have been trying to do some no stirrup work, but I find that in the sitting trot and canter, while the lower part of my seat gives, the part that connects to my abs still stays stiff. So, I will stay connected with the saddle, but my upper body freezes in an awkward looking angle and my arms are left having to do overkill pumping to follow the horse’s motions. So it really does appear that I am struggling with opening and closing my hip angle freely with the horses movement.

Out of the saddle, I am working on stretching more, getting on a chiro and massage program, etc. But I’d love if anyone could give some advice as to some in the saddle exercises I could do to develop a more refined and independent seat. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Ride a 20m circle walk, trot, and canter and alternate looking back over your left shoulder at the horse’s left hip and looking back over your right shoulder at the horse’s right hip. Do the whole circle switching where you look in rhythm with the strides (yes, not looking remotely where you are going, so warn the pony kids.)

Generally you want your inside hip a bit forward, especially in your canter, so periodically take a stride or two to look back at the horse’s outside hip when you feel yourself get tight.

Keeping your leg tight and heel down, bend over and touch each toe. NO standing on the toes, bend with butt in saddle. Harder then it sounds.

Helicopter arms. Sit firmly in saddle (and stay there) extend arms straight out at shoulder level. Twist as far as you can with one arm forward and one back along the horses spine. Hold, come back to center , hold, then go the other way and hold. You can add trying to touch the base of the tail with each hand by laying back as well as touching the ears with both hands. Obviously these are mostly halt and walk exercises but really help loosen the trunk muscles and abs.

Try walking in a good full seat and correct leg and just fold from the waist until the girls touch the neck while keeping that butt pressed into the saddle.

Off the horse, abs and hamstrings, that stretch to keep your heels down originates way up top of those hammies, not in the Achilles or calf. Once you get that working and your “anchor” stronger, you’ll find closing the hip angle much more natural.

Ask me how i know these work…

ETA after you get more comfortable with the above exercises, move on to trotting modifying helicopter arms to airplane wings, assuming horse is agreeable ( and tired) drop the reins and put arms out at shoulder level- that’s going to force you to follow with hip angle. Add small jumps in a grid with arms out- classic beginner rider drill everybody is in too big a hurry for these days. Or have somebody lunge you.

Might have to borrow a quiet horse but my trainers all made us use our own…and work to get them well broke enough on the flat to trust.