Unlimited access >

Exercises to help my heavy hunter

Hi all! I am looking for some flat exercises to help with a few issues I’ve been having with my sweet little TB. I do work with a trainer, I just like to hear from different people!!

My horse has started putting his head down and and pulling me and the reins -mainly when asking for him to slow down. It’s worse when jumping, but he’ll occasionally do it on the flat when cantering. I know I created that beast with my amateur hands and pulling. I’m working on sitting back and big half halts, anything else I can do?

I also would like to fine tune the brakes. He isn’t dangerous, but he can grab the bit and run through the halt and just drag it out over a few too many strides. I know if I improve on the flat, jumping will be better.

I think part of the issue is related to the bit. It’s a pelham, but I don’t think it’s his favorite. I thought about trying these flat exercises in a basic french link or happy mouth mullen to try and get him a little softer.

He’s pulling on you because you are pulling on him.

Have you discussed this with your instructor?

If not, then you should.
If you have, and you are still having problems then start looking for another instructor.

Can your horse be safely longed?
If so, have your trainer longe you with no reins and no stirrups until you have a safe secure seat.

If not, ask the trainer if she/he has a lesson horse you can take some longe lessons on.

If not, find a dressage instructor and take some lessons with the focus on a secure balanced independent seat.

Once you get that secure, independent seat, the problem will have most likely have resolved itself.

As to the bit, you may have to try a few different bits before you find the one.

Just dont go harsher or more severe . It will work until it doesnt .

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Definitely agree with the above suggestion that this is something you’re going to want to talk with your trainer about as they will be the best person to help - simply because they know you and your horse better than all of us.

That being said, from your description I would definitely try playing around with different bits if you don’t think he’s happy in the Pelham. I would also be adding a lot more transitions into my ride. Transitions in between gaits, within gaits etc. It’s a little unclear from your description but it’s possible that he’s trying to run through the transitions because he doesn’t want to step under himself and engage his hind end. Transitions will help him get stronger in this area.

In combination with that, I’d also be thinking about where my hands are during transitions (but especially downward transitions since you highlight those as being more difficult). A trainer once told me that she likes to use the phrase “pull your pony up” with younger kids because it gets them in the mind set that they need to sit up, raise their hands, and weight their heels in downward transitions. This mades them more stable when their ponies want to do something naughty like root etc.

1 Like

Definitely switch out of the pelham and into a snaffle if you have even an inkling of a pulling problem (you or the horse, and usually they go together). It’s great that you recognize your own involvement in this issue. :wink:

Transitions. Transitions. Transitions. More transitions. Start with the most basic, walk-halt-walk. You should be able to halt and walk off from just your seat and leg aids with little to NO change in the rein connection from your hand to his mouth. Just as important as the downward transition is the upward too! A horse that is pulling may be behind your leg, even if it has the sensation of running/leaning/dragging. So sharpen him up a little, don’t let him cheat you on the halt to walk transition. He doesn’t have to be upper-level-dressage-horse-sensitive, but even as a hunter he should move off your leg promptly. Adding to that concept, it would also be a good idea to teach him to leg yield and move sideways off of both legs. The key here is that he genuinely moves his entire body over without changing his gait or rhythm, rushing, pulling, or falling through his shoulder. It should not feel like he is wandering or drifting sideways.

Once you’ve got all that down at the walk-halt-walk, start adding in trot transitions. If all is still going well, you can start to do canter transitions. Maybe work in some ground poles and cavaletti in there as well before you start to reintroduce jumping. Another thing to keep in mind is trying to do transitions BEFORE you feel like he needs to slow down and he starts to pull. If you wait until he’s moving along too quick to ask for a downward, it makes both of you more likely to pull on each other.

Dressage rider here but my first thought is Transitions, transitions, transitions like the poster above said.