Unlimited access >

Exhibitor Parties - Yay or Nay

I’m assisting the organizer who’s hosting a 4* - training so wondering what thoughts are about exhibitor parties. IME I don’t see that these parties draw too many exhibitors. Would providing breakfast food / snack be better? though we wouldn’t be able to provide hot food. So way say you. Welcome suggestions, ideas etc.
thanks

I think it’s very dependent on the event-- most around here are one day so many people show off the trailer and then want to get the horses home, and unless you are very local it’s generally not worth driving back for a party (or going to a party the night before you compete when you have to bathe/braid/clean tack etc.) If it’s a multi day event and most people stable on the grounds and camp or stay locally that’s different. If you can swing a hospitality tent type setup with free bottled water/soda/juice and continental breakfast or basic lunch or snack options that might be a nice addition, especially if you can get it sponsored.

4 Likes

My local HT has catered food and puppy races so it stays pretty popular, after there is beer and golf cart races.

4 Likes

Could you do a breakfast/lunch tent and team up with a local caterer or food truck?

Coming from the ASB world the parties for Exhibitors are well attended but have lots of good food, wine, drinks, and sometimes free horse swag. I could see how they aren’t as popular in the eventing world.

And limbo dancing under jump poles!

1 Like

I remember a couple of folding picnic tables were not quite the same at Carolina Horse Park after an AECs competitor party…

That said, it was the multi day events where everyone was staying on or near the grounds that hosted successful competitor parties. I wouldn’t go back to the grounds if it was a local one day.

I wish multi day events had parties and that people attended them as part of the whole eventing scene.

However, it seems with all the LQ trailers these days, and internet availability, there are “better things to do” than hang out with the other competitors at the party. I miss those days - and really wish I could have attended some of the legendary (so Im told) parties of the 70s and 80s.

4 Likes

Umm, u need snack carts with pizza and alcohol, breakfast carts with snacks and alcohol, and a party with cool door prizes, and cheese and alcohol…and dont make it one of those “offsite sponsored by xyz parties”.

3 Likes

Every group is different. I think ask around of the expected attendees and hear their feedback. Especially the more social ones that you think are most likely to come.

Find out if yes, they would drop everything to enjoy the party. Or no, they will be taking care of horses and people for their own group.

Also suggest asking about the timing. Decide on your reasonable options for which day and at what time of day, and find out from the people you ask if that makes a difference. Just two or three choices – beginning or middle of the event, and breakfast-midday-dinner time. Would they come if it is at X time and not if it is at another time?

Also if you think the group is amenable, you might think of a contest for charity or something that some of the group will participate in. That can get people to attend. Set all this up in advance, then publicize it, so that everyone knows in advance who will be there and what they will be doing. Knowing ahead of time raises curiosity and interest.

For contest participants maybe focus on the juniors - or the AA’s - or something. Even the professional trainers. Or judges or volunteers. The contest participants all compete against each other for a ‘world championship’ :wink: :smile: in some games or a costume contest or something. Of course have fun prizes to more than one participant. And announce how much is raised for the charity.

If you do the charity contest or something along those lines, you might increase the interest and enthusiasm by dropping one name of someone who will be involved every day for the week before. A build-up, as it were. :slight_smile:

Me personally, I am divided on exhibitor parties. They can be a lot of fun and a great way to meet people. But it seems that more often I just don’t have time. Which may be a way of saying that I don’t prioritize them. I also don’t go if it means a delayed bedtime because of an exhibitor’s party. Not a hard-party-er, myself. :grin:

1 Like

In the morning I am busy getting ready for the day and in the evening I am busy trying to get to bed so I can get up early and do those morning things.

So I guess I am not a good exhibitor party candidate.

5 Likes

The Carolina Horse park offers Competitor parties-the big one is the Carolina International and is well attended. The smaller events is usually cheese & crackers, wine & soda. The dressage shows from Sporting Services offers a catered dinner (usually Olive Garden) & raffle and is well attended.

I think that they are fun in multi-day events. It does not make sense for me for the one day events as I always head back home right after. I prefer late afternoon vs morning for an exhibitor party.

1 Like

Thank you for your responses. We have a “volunteer” parties at most events that’s catered - initially it was a competitor’s party but over the years more volunteers come than competitors. I think based on responses I’ll suggest we ramp the competitor/volunteer party and will see if we can put up a refreshment tent up by the stabling /daily trailer parking area.

1 Like

I am not surprised by few competitors attending a party. In my years eventing I wanted the time to take care of the horses , relax, and sleep. When I was a volunteer then sure - I was ready to eat, drink, drink and be merry.

I put the extra drink in there on purpose.

1 Like

I haven’t been involved in the eventing circuit for 10 years --but do recall our first eventing exhibitors’ party after coming from the polo world —eventing kiddo wanted to attend the exhibitors’ party --she was a young teenager, so ok. We carefully packed our party dresses, heels, and pearls --that’s what we wore to polo parties in CA --we were both surprised to find eventing parties were much more casual --although the ones we did attend had food, drinks, and music. Fortunately we were informed of the more casual “jeans and polos” expected dress before we showed up to the venue. Very soon after, kiddo decided that I, her mum, really didn’t need to attend with her . . .ok with me --as I groomed and she had a white horse, I had to be up early since sleeping in poop is something white horses master at their mother’s hock. @2DogsFarm can attest to that.

2 Likes

GMHA runs a great competitor’s party at their August horse trials run over 3 days, If you reach out to their director - bruce@gmhainc.org , Im guessing he can refer you to the party organizer. They usually have a food truck and snacks. There is a picnic table area already and an adjacent building / porch to hang out in as well.

Joan From Flatlands

1 Like

AMEN!

I sometimes show up to the parties, but rarely can I eat much due to my dietary restrictions. I also don’t drink much alcohol these days, so the only draw has been hanging out with friends for a brief time. I’m usually exhausted by the end of the day during long show weekends, so I usually want to relax and go to bed lol.

@enjoytheride “…beer and golf cart races”. Now THAT is what I’m talking about!

2 Likes

By the way, the competitor parties after cross country in the 1990’s, and early 2000’s completely eclipsed today’s gatherings in all dimensions. That would make an entertaining thread. Just putting that out there…

4 Likes