Unlimited access >

Expanding into Mohair Products

I currently have a hobby business of making paracord reins, halters, dog leashes, etc. I recently had a customer asking me about mecates, which I have never made. As I was researching paracord mecates, I came across a lot of stuff relating back mohair. Is it worth pursuing? If I started working with mohair, I’d be able to expand my inventory to include items like cinches. However, mohair is about 10x the cost of paracord, so it would be expensive getting into it. I realize that I would price my products accordingly, but I am just wondering if it would be worth the risk. I’m still working on building up my business and most of my clientele are for dog items, but I will be doing a horse expo in June. If I did pursue it, how much would you be willing to pay for a mohair cinch, mecate, etc. I will attach some pics of my paracord items just to see for the quality of my products.

10174809_328701957317795_1399070401297276206_n.jpg

11390233_410921392429184_7488152761444776179_n.jpg

23472454_805752226279430_713991719927835247_n.jpg

There are a number of custom mohair craftspeople online. Look them up. I was consideting a custom mohair girth for trail riding in my dressage saddle at one point. You can Google custom mohair hair cinches and see who is active in your region.

Many western cinches are mohair and so are some breast collars and a few reins.
Local tack shops sell them.
Local producers sell to the local tack shops.

Maybe if you check with your local tack shops, they can tell you who makes mohair braided products and if they can use more of those?

There are also commercial mohair products, but the ones made locally are better.
They sell first and for more and for good reason.
You can even order, thru the tack shops, special sizes and colors.

If you have not tried tack shops, maybe you can start there?

My favorite girths are my mohair dressage and mohair english. The english girth is over 30 years old and still in excellent condition.

I like mohair a lot but the question is if you have access to a clientele that will pay for mohair items. It’s wonderful stuff.

I’d suggest you start by making an item for yourself, to get a feel for what it would cost to produce, if you like producing them, and if you like the final product.

An expo is a good place to sell such things, especially if you can make interesting/distinctive color patterns that will encourage people to make impulse buys.

Our local craftswoman does custom colors and design. Beautiful.

Questioned!

Check these out, TC Custom cinch on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/tccustomcinches/