Unlimited access >

Experience with Barn Pro Barns?

I am considering ordering a barn kit from Barn Pros in Washington state. I’ve had no experience with this company and haven’t even seen a finished Barn Pros barn in person. I was wondering if COTHers out there with Barn Pro barns could share their experiences with this company. I’ve heard the quality is very good, but I would appreciate hearing it from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

They build lovely barns and I’ve heard great things from the people I know who have them. I don’t personally have one but wish I could have afforded it! One of the owners actually lives right down the road from me. Although I don’t actually know them I’m always drooling at the buildings on their property :slight_smile:

Beautiful barns, expensive. I got an Amish company to build me one that was 1/3 of the cost, more bells and whistles and just as beautiful.

I remembered a thread that had a pretty negative review so I dug around and found it (I think the poster that had problems is on page 2):
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?246437-Anyone-use-Barn-Pros-barn-apartment-kits

I have been in a couple of the barns and thought they were very nice, and the people seemed happy with them. One was a house using a Barn Pro kit that attached via a garage to the barn – just gorgeous and really liked the layout. Those people must have been happy with BP as they used them to build one (barn or house…can’t remember which was first) then went back to them to build the other.

for whatever it is worth BarnPro barns can be bought through Costco … but reading that other thread, I believe I would just by a tent

[QUOTE=clanter;8801481]
for whatever it is worth BarnPro barns can be bought through Costco … but reading that other thread, I believe I would just by a tent[/QUOTE]

I read the other thread and it appears that the issues were that the Barn Pro barns didn’t meet southern California building standards for earthquakes. Since my location isn’t earthquake prone, I doubt that would be a problem. Iam curious if the woman in California ever got her barn built.

[QUOTE=Prime Time Rider;8801515]
I read the other thread and it appears that the issues were that the Barn Pro barns didn’t meet southern California building standards for earthquakes. Since my location isn’t earthquake prone, I doubt that would be a problem. .[/QUOTE]

many people believe the next Big One is something only Californians should be concerned about however the most likely next Big One will be The New Madrid fault zone which is six times larger than the San Andreas fault zone in California and it covers portions of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi… then there is that bulge in the Yellowstone basin that is a few ten of thousands of years over due

I am not aware of significant seismic activity in western NC.

I think DC used to sell Barn Pros kits and now they do their own kits as well as custom. I spoke with them some when I was looking for land. I believe that unless you are going to be putting it together yourself, based on some reviews it’s best to go with a company that offers general contracting services as well like DC…I think their kit business is now called DC Structures? Although the barns are beautiful, I think that if I were to build now I’d probably go with Morton for their services and warranty.

I came very close to buying one of their kits but then had the opportunity to see a finished one in my area, and wasn’t impressed. I’m in a dry climate though, the wood siding after just a year was separating from contracting and expanding, and you could see edges of it that weren’t meant to be seen. The contractor politely talked me out of them, and is able to build a barn with the same look for 30% less.

People were good to work with though!

many people believe the next Big One is something only Californians should be concerned about however the most likely next Big One will be The New Madrid fault zone which is six times larger than the San Andreas fault zone in California and it covers portions of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi… then there is that bulge in the Yellowstone basin that is a few ten of thousands of years over due

Bless you for that information. We have little earthquakes all the time where I live–7 this week, for example, and we never felt a thing. However…there have been some movers and shakers in recent memory. Far better than floods and fires, though.

I’ve been in quite a few. Not impressed. It is a very expensive lumber drop. You can do much better locally and it will cost you less.

We were considering a Barn Pro Barn but found they weren’t customizable for our needs. We wanted a 16’ aisle and they couldn’t do it. We also didn’t like the single wall construction. Look carefully at what they provide, there are a lot of things that aren’t covered in their costs. We hired DC Building and got a custom barn done without any problems.