Unlimited access >

Experience with Schleese & Peter Horobin Saddlery

I’d love to hear what your experience is with Schleese and/or Peter Horobin Saddles.
Are they REALLY fully adjustable? Can they be adjusted easily? Do they have to be adjusted only by the brand fitters? Are you happy with your saddle?
thanks!

Check on the dressage board for Schleese reviews. Many negative ones - mine included.

I loved my dressage saddle and if was a full custom. it was fitted and maintained by an independent saddler who worked with many makers across the disciplines. I had him out for reflocking twice a year. I am not sure what you mean by Adjustable. It did not come with gullet plates which could be swapped out. My fitter said such systems brought him a lot of work as inevitably the saddle owners would get something wrong.

I think many of the negative reviews have a lot to do with the people involved rather than the quality of the craftmanship.

I am sure there are exceptions. Like with everything else, there is almost no service item or issue that horsepeople agree upon unanimously.

The extensive number of Schlesses use in barns I was at, fitted and maintained by the same saddler had many satisfied customers.

I’ve had two - one semi custom and the other I bought used through Scheese.

The used one is now 11 years old and I am in the process of selling it. It has a few major dings from cats trying to use it as a bed in my locker but other then that it is in great condition. Ugly as sin but hey whatever, it got the job done!

I had zero issues with the semi-custom we ordered. Fit me and that particular horse for years. I wish it would have worked with the current horse, but changing out the panels was just too expensive so I sold it.

I have also heard about issues people have had, but in my own experience, they’ve been great for me! The fitter then send to me area is amazing and I am glad we have had her for so many years - the first one they ever sent out here was terrible but I only ever saw her once. My horses have never gone better then when in their Schleese’. I can’t afford the one I want new, so have had a couple different brands since, and tried about a million more and no fitters I have tried in my area can come close to the right fit for my horse. It’s really too bad that my old one isn’t a deep enough seat for what I want on my current mare.

I regret every moment of owning my Schleede
jumping saddle.