Unlimited access >

Experiences with antis

Hi,

I’m doing some research for a project I’m doing at university and I was wondering if you could help. The only people reading it will be myself and the marker and i’m able to make it all anonymous.

I’m looking for any of your experiences with antis whilst out hunting; verbal/physical abuse/filming.

It would be great if you could include the name of the hunt you were following, but no worries if not.

This mainly applies to packs in the UK and Ireland but anything would help.

If you’d prefer to PM me that’s fine too!

Many thanks, this is a big help :slight_smile:

I thought the antis had disbanded and given up the fight in the UK and it wasn’t an issue any more. If you had done ANY research of your own, you would know this. You came here first. This is not where you go to research your paper.

Maybe if you did your paper on why the antis aren’t concerned any more it would be basically “reporting” on the current state, but if you are trying to talk about active antis, you are going to be wildly out of date.

You need to do some research on this. You can read articles on it in the british papers, british magazines, but here I have a real problem with people doing papers trying to get other people to tell them what to do, and I knowk I just gave you a bunch of info. However, if you get information from people on a BB, you are getting third hand information. The only source which is acceptable for any research paper is well researched and WELL DOCUMENTED second sources, like articles or interviews, and first hand information, like masters of hounds, or leaders of anti groups. Do your own research, and document your sources. This is not where you belong. Now I’ve just told you what your professor would tell you. What you should have learned in high school. Do your own research.

AK-- why the vitriol?

OP- for what it’s worth–hunted in the US for 9 years, mainly mid south and south, and had no personal encounters with antis.

Huh, well, glad to know the press releases and other stories about recent encounters with sabs in the UK are figments of peoples’ imaginations.

I’ve seen some interesting accounts from people who have infiltrated these groups that basically say most sabs and antis have moved away from ideology and are continuing to harass hunts because the activity itself is fun and thrilling.

I’ve only hunted here in the US and have no personal encounters with antis, either.

AK, OP is doing legitimate research, by seeking info from people who hunt in the UK and elsewhere. Some of us here on COTH would be what are called primary sources, i.e., people who actually hunt and have had experience with people who are anti-hunting. Secondary sources might include people who know people who hunt, or written sources.

I cannot tell from your post that you know anything much about how to do research! I do know, having not only been a graduate student, but having a degree in library service. I have also worked for a number of professors at different universities. Presumably Tiffy’s tutor at university (or professor or the marker) knows a good deal about research too. At least I hope so! Whether or not either of them know anything about hunting is for them to say.

I do not have any experience of hunting. I have no idea if people in the UK still protest hunting, with or without active demonstrations. I see nothing wrong with OP’s request for input from us.

[QUOTE=Ambitious Kate;8213380]
I thought the antis had disbanded and given up the fight in the UK[/QUOTE]

No such luck !

[URL=“http://www.huntsabs.org.uk/”]
http://www.huntsabs.org.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/HuntSaboteursAssociation
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2146937/UNCOVERED-The-foxy-face-irate-hunt-saboteur-THAT-road-rage-attack--Nude-model-protagonist-weeks-infamous-YouTube-hit.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/countryside/11381666/We-have-to-unmask-the-anti-hunt-thugs.html

Pssssssssst;
Type “Hunt Saboteur” in to the Google search box.

You only need to follow along with some of the hunting FB pages to see that Ambitious Kate’s post isn’t accurate.

https://www.facebook.com/OverTurnTheHuntingBan?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/bailyshuntingdirectory?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Countryside-Alliance/116283685076903

These pages routinely post the activity of sabs in the UK.

You may wish to cross post your request on a UK based bulletin board (like Horse and Hound) for first hand experiences.

We did have experience with an anti a couple years ago in Maryland. He created a website, posted names from directories and addresses as well as a lot of misinofrmation about the sport. Supposedly his wife left him for someone in the foxhunt community, hence the vendetta against all foxhunters :wink:

I thought the antis had disbanded and given up the fight in the UK and it wasn’t an issue any more. If you had done ANY research of your own, you would know this. You came here first. This is not where you go to research your paper.

Maybe if you did your paper on why the antis aren’t concerned any more it would be basically “reporting” on the current state, but if you are trying to talk about active antis, you are going to be wildly out of date.

You need to do some research on this. You can read articles on it in the british papers, british magazines, but here I have a real problem with people doing papers trying to get other people to tell them what to do, and I knowk I just gave you a bunch of info. However, if you get information from people on a BB, you are getting third hand information. The only source which is acceptable for any research paper is well researched and WELL DOCUMENTED second sources, like articles or interviews, and first hand information, like masters of hounds, or leaders of anti groups. Do your own research, and document your sources. This is not where you belong. Now I’ve just told you what your professor would tell you. What you should have learned in high school. Do your own research.[/QUOTE]

Hi AK

I know for a fact that hunt saboteurs are still at work in the UK, having seen them first hand myself… not to mention a huntsman was attacked with crowbars by anti’s just several months ago.
I’m not writing a research paper, i’m writing a feature article on hunting violence (journalism degree), hence why I need first hand examples (and can’t use myself as an interviewee). Naturally i’ve already asked any contacts available to myself, but as the feature highlighting multiple cases of violence it’s worth asking on every avenue- and the internet is a valuable tool. You never know where you might find a story.

Although there is also a research paper element to the project, to clarify, I was requesting information for the article.
For the academic essay, my information has come from journals and texts. After spending the best part of two weeks at the same desk in my university library taking pages and pages of notes and reading countless books on the subject, I am probably taking the insinuation that I haven’t done my own research a little bit to heart…

Firstly yes sabs/anti’s are very much still active in England, you only have to check the regional and national press reports to see that, and I’m sure this will only increase especially given the recent election of a new Conservative government.

You may struggle to find people who are willing to go on record or name specific hunts for fear of repercussions, especially as most people who have encountered sabs are people who are heavily involved and make a living from the sport…

I would second a recommendation to check out the Horse and Hound forum and perhaps make it clear that names would be anonymized/identities hidden etc.

Ambitious Kate does not hunt to my knowledge, I’m not clear why she posted on this thread. I don’t hunt either, but I thought I’d offer that head-scratcher.

You need to do some research on this. You can read articles on it in the british papers, british magazines, but here I have a real problem with people doing papers trying to get other people to tell them what to do, and I knowk I just gave you a bunch of info. However, if you get information from people on a BB, you are getting third hand information. The only source which is acceptable for any research paper is well researched and WELL DOCUMENTED second sources, like articles or interviews, and first hand information, like masters of hounds, or leaders of anti groups. Do your own research, and document your sources. This is not where you belong. Now I’ve just told you what your professor would tell you. What you should have learned in high school. Do your own research.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. That was quite a slap to the OP. No idea what that’s about.

Ouch - that was quite a slap to the OP - no idea what that’s about.