Unlimited access >

Experiences with insect control supplements and suggestions?

I’ve been looking into insect control supplements and was wondering if anyone had had any luck with them? If so, recommendations would be appreciated.

My 24 y/o, Artie, seems to be a fly magnet while my 15 y/o, Fantom, is hardly bothered. I’ve tried various fly sprays and a couple of insect repellent treatments which help, but not as much as I’d like. After a tail “accident” with (caused by :mad:) his previous owner, Artie basically has a docked tail, so insects are a bit of an extra challenge for the poor guy.

Thank you so much!

I put an Amigo flysheet w/belly band on my OTTB. He is a happy boy now. I do leave it off on the super heat-wave days though. (like last 3-4 days) My friend feeds the garlic supp. powder to her horses and swears by it. It’s quite smelly but her horses eat it just fine.

I’ve tried a fly sheet, but Artie is quick to sweat, so it didn’t end up working out. I’m considering a supplement, maybe something similar to what your friend uses. Do you think it makes a difference for her horse? And do you know what it is called? Thanks so much for your quick reply!!

I feed a half cup of organic apple cider vinegar all year round. In the summer, I add one dose per day of Smartpak’s Smart Bug Off. I have tried Bug Off alone and it didn’t work. With the apple cider vinegar, it seems to keep the bugs at bay, but she does get the occassional bite. The problem is that you have to start it a month or so before the bugs are out and you have to guess how much to feed. Mine is a big girl and could probably use to get an extra half dose.

The apple cider vinegar can be given as a cup a day and that might work, but my horse won’t eat that much. The added benefit of ACV is good gut health.

I’ve fed Springtime garlic to my horses for years. I mix it in their beet pulp and they seem to like it. I think it helps with the bugs but I don’t have any hard evidence or data. I also use a fly sheet and have a Pyranha fly spray system in the barn.

[QUOTE=FantomsStorm;8764897]
I’ve tried a fly sheet, but Artie is quick to sweat, so it didn’t end up working out. I’m considering a supplement, maybe something similar to what your friend uses. Do you think it makes a difference for her horse? And do you know what it is called? Thanks so much for your quick reply!![/QUOTE]

I’m not sure what it’s called but it’s a garlic powder supplement that Southern States sells. White powder and smells like an Italian restaurant when it’s “served” in the feed :slight_smile:

I use Apple cider vinegar ( ACV) but I just buy Heinz from the grocery store. It makes a significant difference. I’m not scientific about it, just 4-5 glugs from a full bottle (you get a feel for how much that is). I have to start two weeks before the spring blackflies for best effect.

I had a “Bug MacDonald’s” horse who got bitten far more than any other on the property wherever we went. The ACV made a huge difference for him. Like instead of three inch wide, eight inch long welts on his chest from blackfly bites there was one. He still got bitten, but less.

I have given ACV to my horse’s ever since and not really seen a difference, but this year the picky one opted to stop eating his grain (and ACV) this spring and has many more bites than my other horse (who did eat his ACV).

Heinz ACV works just fine. :wink:

Wow, ACV seems popular! Sounds like a pretty good option. Since I’m the only boarder who keeps my horses in the small “barn” (good-sized runs with a large run in), I might also consider putting up some fly traps as well. Thanks to everyone! Trap suggestions are appreciated!

[QUOTE=Cowgirl;8765039]
I feed a half cup of organic apple cider vinegar all year round. In the summer, I add one dose per day of Smartpak’s Smart Bug Off. I have tried Bug Off alone and it didn’t work. With the apple cider vinegar, it seems to keep the bugs at bay, but she does get the occassional bite. The problem is that you have to start it a month or so before the bugs are out and you have to guess how much to feed. Mine is a big girl and could probably use to get an extra half dose.

The apple cider vinegar can be given as a cup a day and that might work, but my horse won’t eat that much. The added benefit of ACV is good gut health.[/QUOTE]

100% agree. You can dilute it with water and use it as a spray also. Downside is your horse may smell like a sandwich for a little while.

I swear by ACV. Literally the cure for everything…acne, sunburn, constipation, bloating. And I’m going to stop myself right there before I start to sound like my mother.

The cheapest organic ACV is at a place like Sprouts. I can order Bragg by the gallon for $14 per gallon. The benefit of organic ACV with the “mother” in it is gut health.

I have very good success with Animed’s Buglyte, also a garlic based supplement. The horses eat it readily despite the strong smell.

I have not had luck however starting a supplement-based fly program when in the midst of fly season. I start my boys around the end of February, as ticks can come out that early in my area. From what I understand, non-insecticide supplements work best if a colony of flies is never established to begin with - fighting an existing colony is hard.

For traps, I have VERY good luck with Victor traps http://www.horse.com/item/victor-poison-free-disposable-fly-trap/BUA11/ I don’t bother with anything else any more.

You can also take steps to reduce fly breeding, clean up all manure, keep stalls dry and clean, don’t let any water stand or puddle, clean up damp uneaten hay. Manure piles should be covered if possible and compost piles should be as far away from the barn as possible. Keep manure implements in a sunny spot so the manure dries quickly and attracts less flies.

Finally, when desperate, I’ll mix some cedar shavings into the bedding. They can be found in the pet aisle, usually around the rabbit and ferret items. Be careful, some horses are allergic to cedar and will break out in hives or worse.

I keep my boys and their barn fastidiously clean, but I cannot say the same for other boarders :frowning: I’ll definitely go with some kind of fly trap and I might also consider a bit of cedar since I have to get my guinea pig bedding in the same aisle anyway. I love all these ideas! Thank you, thank you, thank you!