Unlimited access >

Extensor Carpi Radialis injury

My horse gave himself what I now know is a very rare injury. He wacked his extensor Carpi Radialis tendon on a metal gate reacting to a horse. Looking to see if anyone has had a horse with a similar injury. There are very few recorded or case studies. The general Google search and assumption thinks since it’s not weight bearing ( but does have some important functions like helping your horse flex his knee) is that these heal rather quickly 3 months or so. Local Vets have never treated this injury. And while my horse has detailed X-rays, ultrasounds adnauseum, to the tune of many thousands, many class 4 laser treatments, fluid extraction and steroid injection, his tendon looks exactly the same as the day we started. Same fluid, same little adhesion worm looking thing on ultrasound same little 1mm tear of sheath. I am going to book a consult with the csu Vet who did the case study ask for a consult . I feel like no matter how good a vet is at diagnostics etc is we are just experimental rats right now for treatment solutions. This injury typically does not have a lot of lameness or heat. He has a slight bow above his knee that forms and squishes into the shape of a pingpong ball when flexed. No heat.But long-term low level fluid retention from low level irritation from the existing adhesion will degrade the tendon over time.

1 Like

Anicell has done some amazing things for oddball injuries.

1 Like

Unfortunately yes.

We did 1 week stall rest, 2 weeks tiny turnout, turnout until ultrasound shows inflammation is gone. Bute and icing the first week. Red light therapy and stretching exercises.

I kept it poulticed and took 6 months for all poofiness to disappear.

Horse is exceptionally quiet in turnout and a total hellion for stall rest so we got him out ASAP.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I am in month 3 no change. Did you apply pressure bandages with the poultice? What poultice did you use. I asked the vet about pressure wraps early on he said those won’t stay up on the knee area. This is a new state I live in new vet. Where I came from my long time vet has wrapped the knee area with a stacked bandage whenever an injury was near a hock or knee initially to keep swelling down or prevent it in joints or tendons. I was told by new vet no stall rest no pressure wrap. I regret that now as I think there is benefit to it for the first 4 days or so during the acute stage. He does have a walk out stall so 24 7 access to a third of a acre. The extensor Carpi Radialis runs from above knee to bottom of knee so I am assuming it has to be two stacked wraps so knee can bend? Any pics of wrap you did? I still ice it daily.

I make my own poultice or use Sore No More if on sale.

I really think the stimulation of rubbing and washing off with cold water actually helps vs the poultice, but it makes me feel better.

No wrapping except when I iced.

Red light therapy helped the most honestly.