Unlimited access >

Extra grippy and thin no-slip jumper rein for small hands?

Everyone’s hand injuries are different! I used those reins for a few years and they gave me hand cramps trying to hold on to them. At one point I added handhold reinforcements a la a Rube Goldberg contraption of those nunn finer replacement keepers over the hold, reinforced by a mishmash of gorilla tape cut in strips covered by electric tape. There comes a point when you stare at your reins and wonder WTaF am I doing here? And wisely move on. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Although as much as I like the PSoS reins, they are third place behind my Marathon and dressage lines, especially the Marathon lines.

1 Like

This is what I got to replace my PSoS reins as they were available to ship immediately. I am still not sure if I like them well enough or if I should just order a replacement set of PSoS to go back to what I know I like. I want to like them, I don’t actively hate them, they just are taking a lot of getting used to I think.

1 Like

I also have tiny hands and love a thin, grippy rein and my favorites of all time are seriously these - $35 from a Dover house brand: https://www.doversaddlery.com/suffolk-web-rubber-reins/p/X1-03044/

They’re web with a rubber grip woven in, plus leather stops. You’ll have to add your own martingale stops but honestly, still a deal.

1 Like

I second this! The softy/super grip are so nice.

1 Like

I really like plaited reins for small hands. They conform to your hand so nicely that you don’t need the rubber for friction, IME. They just feel so soft and nice.

3 Likes

These are my favorites, in the thin width.

Well worth the price tag, in my experience.
1 Like

Me too! They’re a pain to clean but so much more comfortable than even nice rubber reins.

2 Likes

The Nunn Finer reins are the ones to get, no question. I have a couple pairs of these and I’m always switching out more expensive reins on high end bridles for these. They are thin and just have a great feel in the hand. They have great grip, are made from high quality leather and rubber, and don’t seem to melt at all as easily as other rubber reins (none of mine have melted yet, though I’m sure it could eventually happen). They also are fairly priced.

I like plaited reins also, but it’s really hard to find a nice quality pair these days. Also, they are a real pain to clean. I enjoyed reviewing other people’s suggestions on this thread, but I’m leery of exploring other rubber rein brands–I’ve had a lot of disappointments over the years where the rubber or grippy surface breaks down long before the lifespan of the reins should be over.

3 Likes

the best I’ve found are the rubber lined Black Diamond reins. They have the same feel thickness-wise as regular leather reins (I’m size 6 1/2 in gloves) and give a little extra grip. https://blackdiamonddesignsllc.com/product/fancy-stitch-rubber-lined-laced-reins/

2 Likes

Those biothane pimple reins have been around driving forever, and I thought about getting a set of lines, but overall they are way less grippy and thicker than my current marathon lines which are synthetic with grippy rubber weaved through, plus stops (and hand holds, but that’s not going to help a rider). Marathon is a place where grip counts, and I don’t really see too many of the pimple style out there, mostly the style I have or leather, especially if you drive a team and need to feed loops.

For me, I find the beta pimple style is way better than other rubber rein options ( plus no melting), but not as good as the synthetic rubber grip. I think the driving synthetic rubber grip might be the same as the dover reins described above, but I’ve got a local dover and haven’t ever seen anything comparable in the store. However if you are near Amish country, they could probably make riding reins out of the driving lines material for a total bargain if you need to try something different on the cheap

1 Like

I also have small hands and working on improving my grip.I absolutely love these Schockemoehle Durasoft Reins
The leather is very soft and grippy

1 Like

I love these as well! I pretty much hoard the ones I see in good condition on eBay and consignment shops. My first pair of reins I really loved were a pair of these, and they were absolutely dreamy until a horse broke them. After that, I started stocking up on any similar pairs I could find! They get so nice and soft when they break in, as long as they’re made of good quality leather (the cheaper ones on the other hand, stay stiff forever).

I agree that it’s definitely hard to find a nice pair of plaited reins new. I have gotten the majority of mine gently used for this reason, though they’re not the easiest to find on the used market, either. Last I knew, Hadfield’s makes some that I’m sure are lovely, though definitely pricy. I used to see some from HK Americana as well, but not for awhile. I do have a pair I bought new from Tory 10 years ago that are pretty nice, and are thinner than the usual kind. Any of the cheaper brands other than Tory seem to stay stiff forever rather than break in and become soft like the nicer ones do.

I also agree that often times, rubber wears out prematurely, and I’ve had/seen plenty of the Rainbow Reins melt (though those are very cheap reins, so probably not surprising there). I’ve seen rubber reins dry out and begin to crack over time, or just wear out from use. I don’t buy these often for this reason, as I have ancient leather reins still in use and tend to want to buy whatever lasts the longest. How long have you been using the Nunn Finer reins? I do like the feel of those, but typically don’t buy rubber because I’m afraid of it melting or otherwise not lasting.

1 Like

Not Beehoney, but my oldest Nunnfiner softgrips are 10+ years old and still going strong- no melting or disintegration of the rubber, the leather is just getting nicer with age, and the buckle is as strong as it was when new.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks! I might just have to snag me a pair!

I’ve always used the Nunn Finer soft grips. I do love them. However, I have switched most of my bridles to the Correct Connect Sure Grip Rubber Reins. They are thin and super grippy. I love these. https://ridecorrectconnect.com/collections/tack/products/extra-grip-rubber-reins

1 Like

Biothane and beta just don’t melt, it’s what all combined driving harness is made out of, so abused and misused and thrown in a bucket of water to clean, and it looks just like new after a decade

2 Likes

That’s also really good to know, thank you! I’ve never owned any beta or biothane tack, so don’t know much about it. I’d definitely like to look into those reins!

Personally I find them very comfortable to hold, but mostly passed on them for grippiness for any kind of horse who can take a strong hold (cough cough fjord on marathon cough cough)

1 Like

Check at saddle seat stores and websites. I have small hands and my extra fine Pelham reins came from the saddle horse world.

1 Like