Unlimited access >

Extra grippy and thin no-slip jumper rein for small hands?

Hello! I’m looking for jumper rein suggestions. I have small hands (sz 6) and tend to let my reins slip through my fingers. I’m working on my grip but am also hoping to find a thin, extra grippy rein. Traditional rubber reins are typically too thick/wide for my hands. I’d be grateful for any suggestions!

The only rubber reins I’ve ever actually tried that I liked were the Rainbow Reins, which are thinner (as in narrower) and not bulky and stiff like most other rubber reins. Unfortunately, my problem with them is that the ones I’ve had experience with (one pair I owned and several others were on lesson bridles at a barn I rode at) melted and got gummy very easily, and never seemed to last very long at all. On the upside, they’re cheap, but the gummy, sticky mess and then potentially ruining much nicer and more expensive things they might come into contact with aren’t worth it to me. It’s been years since I’ve used or seen any, so I’m not sure if they’ve improved or there’s another brand that makes more durable ones. Mine were the Miller’s Lancer’s and I’m pretty sure the ones on the lesson bridles were those and Kincades.

However, I’ve seen reins by Nunn Finer and some similar makers that have a thinner type of rubber (not narrower like the Rainbow Reins, but the rubber is thinner and more flexible; I’ve never owned or ridden with any, but have seen the Western barrel reins version of them in tack shops and they felt nice - better than the Rainbow Reins, actually).

Here is Nunn Finer’s version - called Soft Grip:
https://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-Soft-Grip-Reins-p/282.htm

1 Like

The Nunn Finer Sure Grip reins are the thinnest, grippiest reins I’ve found and I love them for my tiny hands. I also have a pair of their Soft Grip reins on my x-country bridle and those are great too, slightly thicker than the Sure Grip but still much thinner and more flexible than typical rubber reins.

7 Likes

Have you tried the Vespucci ones? I used to have a preference for thinner reins until I tried these. They are very flexible and just so comfortable even though not thin - and they don’t slip so I can have a lighter grip. And I have small hands (size 6 gloves).

1 Like

PS of Sweden makes the best thin, grippy, extra hand stops rein I’ve ever seen. They come in brown and black leather and I know at one point farmhouse tack (Tryon) carried them, but I’ve always ordered direct from PS. They are called softy/super grip. They are pretty popular though so they run out of stock often!

I have a fjord (STRONG :rofl:) and hand grip issues. When it comes to thin, comfortable reins with GRIP, there is no rein I haven’t picked up and tried, these are the best!

2 Likes

Seconding the PSoS Softy/Super Grip. As a result of me being a dummy my set broke and I replaced with Dyon rubber reins with stoppers (basically the only in stock option in black when I needed them quickly) and I am now on the hunt to replace with PSoS when they come back in stock at any of the Canadian tack shops I frequent online.

1 Like

Just order them direct from psos, they are back in stock (and as much as I love PSoS, I understand they’re kind of a pain to deal with if you’re a tack store, so you probably are better off ordering direct)

2 Likes

If you can find a decent leather worker, you can order up whatever type of reins that suit you, width, length, grips, buckles/buckles. I had a couple sets made to order years ago, and they are still my favourates.

2 Likes

Trust makes these and they are nice quality.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. Are they rubber or web? Do you know if it is the Edwina style?

I like the Schockemoehle Durasoft Grip Reins- they are rubber lined with leather on the outside, very soft, and fit nicely in the hand. I use them on my show bridles.

But the Nunn Finer rubber reins are probably the thinnest out there, and they wear well. I use those on my daily bridles.

1 Like

Nunn Finer soft grips.
I too have size 6 and they are perfect for me. I have 3 sets of them in both colours

2 Likes

The Nunn Finer hands down. The thinnest reins I’ve ever found and soft enough to (potentially) not need gloves. I don’t love hand stops as they are never where I need them, but I do have knots tied in the Nunn Finers for my strong mare - helps me remember to not let the reins get longer and longer.

2 Likes

Yes, the Edwinas. I have those and the same ones that are slightly longer.

1 Like

Thank you!

I just correct connect has several that are advertised as soft, gippy, and thin.

2 Likes

Dy’on rubber reins with stops. The come in 1/2 or 5/8 widths.

1 Like

I have the same issue. I have two favorites:

1. Hadfield makes beautiful biothane reins that are thinner than traditional rubber, but still come with hook-eye closures and high quality leather in full-horse length. https://hadfields.com/collections/reins/products/rein-biothane-rubber
  2. Beval makes a nice 1/2" rubber rein that I like on my schooling bridles. It’s more of a standard lined rubber rein, but thin. My only gripe about these is that they don’t come with martingale stoppers, so you have to add rubber ones. https://beval.com/products/beval-gladstone-rubber-rein?variant=33242934771811

The Nunn Finer biothane reins a few people mentioned are nice, too. But I don’t like the buckle closures.

1 Like

Don’t find the PSoS ones sticky at all.

For small hands the Schockemohle ones have been the best for me. I have child sized hands.

1 Like

I hate the buckle closures but love the Nunn Finer Soft Grips. You can get a version with stud ends:
https://www.nunnfiner.com/Soft-Grip-Round-Raised-Fancy-Stitched-Reins-p/287.htm

3 Likes