Eye Issue

A recent surgery left me with an eye that won’t blink. When I go to the barn, I wear an eye patch to protect it. The ophthalmologist offered a temporary fix (the paralysis that is keeping it from blinking is expected to resolve), to use a product called “Blinkeze” which is a weight that tapes to the upper eyelid, offering enough pressure that the eye will blink along with the other. I tried one at the visit and it worked like magic.

Now that I have read reviews, many people found it hard to adhere it to the eyelid because the lubricant we use makes it slide off. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience using this product - it’s expensive enough that if it drops off while I’m riding, I’d be pretty unhappy!

Thank you for your input!

Could you wear safety glasses at the barn? You know (Murphy’s Law) that if it can come off while riding, it will.

When my greenie decided to jump an xrail 10 feet straight up, I landed very hard and pulled my oculomotor nerve, which controls the muscle of the eyelid. The difference was mine wouldn’t open. If yours is the same nerve, the regeration rate is excellent. I can now open my eye about 98% as well as before. A glass of wine and I get a little droop, but no biggie.

As my lid was relearning to open, I had an issue that it would open slightly while sleeping and I would suffer from dry eye, which tears and stings. There is a wonderful gel called lacrilube that you can use. Just put a drop in the lower lid before bed. If you have a ceiling fan right over your bed that will irritate you, and you can patch the eye to protect it.

I agree with the other poster that safety glasses that strap on your head would be a good way to “catch” the Blinkeze should it come off.

To be honest, I found it easier to occlude the entire eye with a patch when in the barn, just to protect myself from any issues. If you have an unexpected move and your eye throws your balance off, it can cause you much bigger problems.

Take extra good care of your eye and yourself and best of luck!

Thanks, Saratoga and CFFarm!

I am wearing an eyepatch at the barn now, for exactly the reasons you both offer! Having an eye “stuck open” is certainly risky when there’s hay and dirt being flung around. The “Blinkeze” would be a temporary remedy; as S. points out, there is every likelihood the nerve will get it’s act together and I’ll resume blinking on my own. However, the doctors say it may be months before it gets there.

I have decided to have a small weight implanted in the eyelid, that will help the eye blink. We did a test run at the dr’s office with the weight on the lid (similar to the Blinkeze product), and it worked great. I’ve been without a blink reflex since early October, so I am looking forward to being able to blink that eye!

Thanks for your input!
Kathy

Kathy, just keep in mind that when they say “months” it could mean anything. Told me to expect around 6 months. At one year I was still improving. At a year and a half I just noticed more improvement. It can be a long process. The good news is that when regeneration starts happening, it tends to keep going. And it happens so slowly its honestly hard to notice. I kept hoping I’d wake up one day able to open it. Nope. Very very gradual. You are on the right track and it sounds like the therapeutic options are helping. Just an FYI, I went to Wilmer Eye Institute in Baltimore which is one of the best eye places in the world. They have an occuloplastics group that can help if you don’t get 100% back.
Good luck!

S, thank you for the reminder. Doctors are optimistic, but they aren’t committing to any time line other than “you shouldn’t expect much for 6 to 12 months.” I’m ok with it, as I think I have figured out what I need to do (not that there’s much I can do about it if I am NOT ok with it!). And some people don’t see progress for as long as 18 months or a year!

I’m lucky that my balance wasn’t affected by the surgery - it often is - and I have been able to ride, and feel safe up on my steady eddie pony.

Thanks for your story - that must have been one heck of a jump!!
Kathy