Eye socket reconstruction and riding

Hi.
Does anyone have any experience riding after eye socket reconstruction surgery? I had a bit of a freak accident that involved my horse kicking me in the face. I had a number of plates installed to reconstruct my smashed up eye socket.

I am getting very conflicting instructions from my surgeons about when I can start riding again which is frustrating. One said start riding right away, one said 4 weeks, another 8 weeks and now 3 months.

I’m at the 8 week point and still have a bit of double vision that was a complication of the surgery. I feel pretty good otherwise and want to get back to normal life. Wondering if anyone had dealt with this before and would like to share about their recovery? When were you able to get back riding and if you had double vision, etc.

Thanks!

I haven’t experienced anything like this before but your safety and health needs to come first, no matter how much you want to get back on that horse. If you have double vision, it really wouldn’t be the safest would it? Don’t make these decisions yourself. It sounds like your surgery was complicated and involved a lot of time and patience. Please consult these doctors and tell them what time limits the other doctors said. If they can barely agree when it’s safe to ride, I’d say it’s not a great idea to just wing it.

2 Likes

Double vision drastically increases your risk of accident, both on the ground and in the saddle. You might want to ask the Docs about putting a patch over one eye for now, so that only one eye’s input is being processed by the brain?

2 Likes

With that injury you would have sustained a concussion, and those can take quite a bit of time to resolve. Bouncing up and down on a horse before healing is complete is not a good thing to do.

Any swelling around your eye socket that will put pressure on the eye itself can also cause double vision.

Have you tried on a helmet? If there is any bone tenderness on the temple or forehead the helmet will exacerbate it.

You need to take as much time as needed to let your brain, skull, and eye heal.

In the long run a little waiting now will pay off in the future.

So glad you are on the mend!

1 Like

Hi.
Thanks for all your responses. Unfortunately, the double vision is going to be a permanent feature from now on due to muscle and nerve damage from the surgery. I have glasses with a prism in the lens that are helping me adapt.

No pain from the helmet. Fits good. Actually, there is no real tenderness. I think I was lucky in that it didn’t really hurt that much considering. Mostly just muscle soreness at the end of the day at work.

I’ve had such conflicting advice from the doctors regarding recovery times. The last one told me to do whatever I want just don’t fall on my face. Lol!
Thanks again!

Should have mentioned also that I got the “all clear” regarding residual effects of a concussion. My husband has gone to most appointments with me. Even he has come out of the follow up appointments and commented on how the advice is confusing and he doesn’t have the excuse of being kicked in the brain bucket like I do.

Thanks again! Whining about not being able to ride does serve a therapeutic purpose. Lol!

Ouch I hope you recover completely from that injury

You have an amazing attitude, OP. :slight_smile:

Perhaps you want to start back at a therapeutic riding center when when you start back. Please take your time, though. Are you able to do any walking or an exercise bike to get your body going a bit, for now? - Just wondering, did you have to do physical therapy?

What do you think about adding in some eye & nerve specific vitamins? Ask your Dr., of course, though. I’ve had some injuries that effect nerves and took methyl B, vitamin E & GLA as they are supposed to help nerve regeneration. Just an idea.

Sending well wish and soft hugs.

Thanks for the info on the vitamins! I hadn’t even thought of supplements!

I’ve been doing some stationary biking, but think I will try connecting with a personal trainer like you suggest. I’ve actually been super lucky in that I’ve been able to be moderately active. I’ve been able to do my barn chores and stuff since the beginning. Who knew picking poop could be physical therapy?

Again, thanks for the responses. They’ve been very helpful.