Unlimited access >

Fair Market Value?

Trying to figure out how to price my mare. I’m so confused by this market. I haven’t done the buying/selling thing since before the market blew up…

2015 Registered/Papered Warmblood Mare (RPSI), 15.2 hands
Bay with chrome

The good:
Lovely mover, conformationally correct, has rated show miles to 2’6 in the jumper ring, local miles to 3’ in all 3 rings, tries hard for her rider, sweet as can be. No vices, goes out in a mixed herd & is low on the totem,

The peculiarities:
Sensitive & prefers a light handed rider, can be looky if not feeling engaged

The other stuff:
She has been out of work for a year due to my own lack of time. She has been back under saddle for 2 months, but not jumping.

How do I market this? She is not green by any means, but is needing the rust polished off. I’d love to wait to get her back in full work and showing to sell, but I just don’t have that kind of time. (Financial hardship is also pushing the sale)

I don’t think specifics are allowed on this forum, but I would say that if you could send her out to a pro for a month or two, you’d likely add a zero or two to the price. I have seen a lot of backburner warmblood types listed lately and none for all that much.

14 Likes

Think the size will get you more than anything. A hand taller and there would be plenty of people eager to stretch a meager budget by investing their time. But at 15.2h you are probably looking at the kid market, which will want her for the move-up job, and ideally the move-up to 3’ job. If that’s not her we are looking at an out-of-work 2’6" mare that probably needs some pro polish. $15K-$18K, with recognition that whoever does get her (successfully) back in the rated rings could possibly double or triple that number.

The market does seem to be softening a bit, but unfortunately that size demographic never really saw the inflation the rest of the market did.

13 Likes

How fancy is she? Can she get good ribbons in the rated hunters?

Can she jump bigger than 3 foot?

I think your market is going to be more junior or young adult focused if she doesn’t like the amateur “picky” hands. If you need to get her off your bill now, I would look for a scrappy junior type. Call local trainers (or have your trainer do it) and explain the situation. Sounds like a nice horse for the right person.

I would guess 20k right now or so.

3 Likes

Contact any trusted trainer you know plus your own. Let them know you need to sell. This is a good time for buyers and sellers as this season wraps up, Juniors age out and thoughts turn to the 2024 season.

The fact shes not currently showing and is, sorry, considered “ small” by the overall market do complicate the process but some marketing help by Pros with a good network would very much be worth a commission. They can also help you set a fair price. I have no idea not knowing the horse and the general area you are marketing her in.

Big hurdle in situations like this is getting serious buyers to come see a single horse in a home barn. Easier to market at shows or at better known a trainers barn where they can see more then a single horse, compare it to others and evaluate it in a busier setting then a home barn.

7 Likes

Can she make the step? I have a similar horse, she is 15.3, but very slight and doesn’t carry a ride with legs or much weight well. She is adorable and does well in the 2ft to 2.6 hunters with kids just off ponies or who are content at those heights. If the horse has an easy lead change or auto change and will auto-pilot at low heights, even just 2ft./18 inches, there is definitely a market. I’ve found a lot of horses who are not willing to volunteer much at 2.9 are perfectly fine to oblige even with pretty awful riding at 2ft., maybe 2.6.

4 Likes

She won’t be super competitive in the rated hunters. She cleans house on a local circuit, especially in the derbies.

Yes she’s done bigger than 3 foot (my nerves kept us from showing bigger) and can continue doing so.

She is currently in training with an event trainer, however, we’ve both agreed that she’s going to shine in the jumper/eq rings.

I would have loved a horse like this for my daughter, and probably would have been willing to spend $20-30k, BUT the horse would need to be jumping. I can’t imagine anyone would buy the horse for a kid without being able to try it over fences.

I also think if you present a horse for sale that “used to jump well” but “has been out of work for a year,” a lot of people will fear there is a soundness issue. I realize that’s not the case in your situation, but I think many people would assume it.

Given all this, I second the idea of getting the horse tuned up so she is back to jumping (not showing).

8 Likes

Yes. She has a big step for her size and can make it easily. She does have an auto change and is happy to parade around the puddle jumpers successfully. She’s currently just not the right horse for a kid off a pony, though no doubt she someday could be. Though we’re selling the current horse, not the future! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, I didn’t catch that. So, not a horse for most kids then. I think that makes my pricing unrealistic.

1 Like

Just to recap, if I’m correct:

Pros:
Cute
Makes the step
Auto swap
Easy to live with at the barn
Has some show record
Scopey
WB

Cons:
Not rated show hunter quality
Small
Needs a tactful ride, not pony kid ready
Out of shape
Mare (this could go either way but most of the market want a gelding)

I’ve seen this for anywhere from $3500-$15000, but I have no idea what they ultimately sold for. The over $10k ones sat on the market for a while. There’s lots of local quality, easy riding bigger geldings out there for less than $25k, and they’re currently jumping around. I do not think she would sell for the same price.

You say she’s at an Eventing barn - is she not cut out for that? You’ll have a much wider audience for a smaller sporty mare with the eventers, even if you just take her on the xc course once for pics.

Regardless, can you get her fit enough to pop around a 2’ course? That will find you more buyers, if not necessarily more $. I agree with the above person that said most people are going to assume she had an injury or something unless she’s currently being jumped. However, if she’s got good bloodlines you might advertise her as a broodmare prospect and open up your buyer pool that way.

1 Like

Another thought: if you need to get her off your feed bill, could you consider sending her out on a lease (either paid or a care lease)?

Around here we have some amateur ladies who are excellent riders but can’t afford to buy a horse of their own… maybe a good amateur could get the mare in shape, take some lessons on her, and add to her value?

7 Likes

Why is she not jumping with the event trainer?

3 Likes

Excellent option, especially if OP could find even a half lease at the eventing barn the mare is currently at. It would keep an eye on the horse, maintain care, and be valuable to the rider.

What are you trying to get for the mare , if mid-high 4’s, you could probably get that now. If I’m the low 5’s, horse needs to be back jumping and some off property stuff.

The hard part is she has been sitting, so people are going to assume lameness issues.

4 Likes

Location, location location!
If she’s a good mover, can make the step, jump higher than 3’, easy lead swap, pretty, etc, in the right location, she could fetch a larger price than you think. Small junior hunters, even the 3’3 variety, fetch a pretty penny in certain locations. You need to talk to a hunter trainer, not an event trainer

10 Likes

I don’t know if lameness would be people’s first assumption, but it could also be assumed she’s lost her enthusiasm for jumping (“has a stop”). Regardless, being able to try the horse or see with their own eyes is a different thing than just looking at a past show record (which you can’t ride).

1 Like

Would she be kid-friendly for a kid moving up from ponies (or short stirrup been-there-done-that lease horse) if she were in a program and getting a couple of training rides a week? If so I know people who would absolutely be interested in her in the 20-30k range cited above. In that market her size is a plus, as it’s a nice transition from pony to bigger horse, and at that price range you get people who aren’t ready to shell out over 100k for a horse with big eq potential, but want a transitional move-up horse to make the pony to horse (or lease to own) transition for their kid easier. That would require she be jumping, though, and ideal have at least one show under her belt with a kid.

If not, I think you’re looking for the scrappy junior who isn’t going to get too tall and rides well but has a limited budget and is willing to trade time to bring the horse along for something in budget. But that’s definitely a sub- 20k market around me.

2 Likes

Is she a jumper or a hunter!? I think most people on this thread are assuming hunter but I’m getting jumper from what the OP is saying. It makes a big difference.

8 Likes