Unlimited access >

Fairfax/Prolite vs TSF girths

I know there have been lot’s of threads on these girths and reviews seem to be quite positive, but which one do you guys like better? I haven’t really been able to see comparisons b/w the two. Is the Fairfax worth the price? Is the Prolite a good cheaper option (or is the leather better?) Or… Do you like the TSF girths better? I currently have my guy in a little wintec, but he’s recently backed and if he’ll be more comfortable, then I’m willing to splurge (: Do you like any of these options? Is there another brand/style you like better?

1 Like

I can’t do a direct comparison since I don’t own a Prolite or TSF. I’ve seen the TSF - a few people around here have bought them. But one of our area saddle fitters has seen several TSF girths “fail” - the leather is not great quality, made in India. Apparently they DO have good customer service though.

I’ve heard people say the TSF and Fairfax are “identical”, but that is NOT true. The shape is different.

I’ve tried many girths on my mare - and she goes best in the Fairfax (narrow). I can tell you the leather is very nice, the padding is great, the stitching is lovely. It is a quality girth. I bought mine from an overseas vendor, so the price was a bit less “gasp-worthy”. Still pricey, but nowhere near what they are here in the US.

What works for MY mare may not work for your horse - kind of like saddle fit, every horse is different.

3 Likes

I sell Fairfax/Prolite Girths. They are great for a lot of horses, but not everyone. For example, it does not work on my personal horse. It gaps in the front of the girth. I have also had a lot of luck with them solving girth gall issues on horses.

I do like the quality and fit better than the TSF. I find the the TSF tend to twist more on the horse.

1 Like

I sell Fairfax/Prolite Girths. They are great for a lot of horses, but not everyone. For example, it does not work on my personal horse. It gaps in the front of the girth. I have also had a lot of luck with them solving girth gall issues on horses.

I do like the quality and fit better than the TSF. I find the the TSF tend to twist more on the horse.

i have been told by someone who has ridden in lots of TSF girths and says they do not hold up. She is a professional and rides many horses a day.
i have a fairfax and my horse loves it. Made a real difference. He has a good barrel so it fits well.

I rode for a very long time in a Wintec girth and they work very well for many horses. It didn’t work so well for my current horse.

I test-rode a Prestige and a Fairfax (narrow, my horse is narrow) and the saddle stayed in place best with the Fairfax. I purchased it. I don’t like that it doesn’t have elastic, and I don’t like that it sort of gaps in the front. That said, my horse seems to like it and goes well in it. The saddle stays in place. The leather on the Fairfax is quite nice, two years after purchase.

Can you test-ride in any? That can help.

I switched from a TSF to a Prolite narrow gauge a couple months ago (thanks to sheltona!). The TSF was nice and did the job but wasn’t quite right for my horse. It was a touch wide in the middle curve and gaps a bit.

The Prolite narrow gauge seems to have take care of both those issues. I wish it had elastic, but that’s the only drawback I have found with it.

I know this is an old thread, but offering some insight as to the comparison. Prolite has licensed the UK patent Fairfax has on the girth design, which according to Fairfax, accounts for the improved performance. In particular, it is the leading edge that sits behind each leg and results in easier sliding of the muscles and other tissue underneath the girth as compared to conventional girths at that time. According to the patent the pressure distribution, flexibility of materials in that extended portion of the leading edge, and general shape of the girth allows this to happen. So at least from a basic design point the girths are the same. However, there may be differences in materials used, which can also impact the comfort and performance of any individual horse. Also, there have now been many others now with similar designs and different materials that are aimed at optimizing the Fairfax girth.

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple horses with round barrels and a forward girth groove. I tried the TSF girth and it gapped noticeably on the front edge, putting all the pressure on a narrow inch or two of the girth’s back edge. No adjustments or tweaking of the buckling would fix that, so sent it back. Then I read how non elastic girths were better at passively distributing pressure and not allowing you to overtighten it. Every time the horse breathes or exerts itself, the elastic girth keeps contracting which pulls the girth to the elbow area where the horse is most narrow. I got an inexpensive Wintec girth without elastic (same size as my previous elastic girths) and neither the saddle nor girth crept forward to the elbows. My girth is snug but it doesn’t have to be super tight since the saddle fits well. My horse is happier.

1 Like

there are several people with fairfax girths in my barn. all of them gap in the front but the horses seem happy.

i’m using a Total Saddle Fit girth until it wears out. The very first time i used it one of the top keepers broke. Still broken and doesn’t seem to affect anything, so i continue using. The two horses that i use it on go nicely in it. And the belly fit is good for both of them.

I’ve had all three. The TSF was the wrong shape and went back. The Prolite had some really rough edges and I didn’t love the craftsmanship; I was worried it would cause rubs along the seams. It also went back. Fairfax is great, except that the finish on the leather has not held up perfectly. It’s got some weird little prick type marks on it. It doesn’t cause any issues with use though. I wish the narrow was slightly more narrow, but horse is happy.

I was coming in here to say to OP, “It would be helpful to know what kind of issues or horse conformation you are dealing with so we can make more helpful suggestions” but since this thread is ancient I doubt OP will have much to contribute on that front, haha.

Having said that (and played the girth whackamole game myself) I ended up with a Flexigirth imported from the UK. It was about $50 US total for the girth and shipping. It’s a girth with leather on both sides and thick elastic in the middle. It’s narrow/non-anatomical rather than contoured like the TSF and Prolite girths are. We’ve been quite pleased with it, and I think it might check some boxes for folks here, as well.

1 Like