Unlimited access >

Fall alert riding app?

The most recent post on this I could find was 10 years ago so I am creating this one as apps change/improve often.

A few years ago I had a riding alert app that was fine for trail riding but if I rode alone in the ring I spent more time disabling the app than riding. I think I had RideAlert before but don’t remember and of course I deleted it. I am considering riding alone again so I can get more saddle time in but want to have something that can alert others if I stop moving. My current barn is often empty and I would truly be alone on the property and I do understand the risks of this.

All that to say is there an app that can be used while doing ring work that won’t keep going off because of the smaller space? I always have my phone (Android) on my body when I ride and wear my Garmin Vivoactive4 watch too, so anything that can work with one of these would be great. I am willing to pay for something if needed but free is preferred.

Thanks!

I hope you can find something that works.
My Apple watch has fall detection but I now have it disabled as it goes off for things not fall-related and it just got too annoying.
It did go off the one time I did take a tumble and luckily I got it turned off before it called 911.

1 Like

Yeah; I was just gonna say the exact same thing :-D.
I’ve asked Apple about putting in a sensitivity adjustment for that, but haven’t heard back.

1 Like

Thank you. I may try RideAlert again and see if has improved in the last 3 years. My Garmin may also have options I just haven’t explored those apps much.

Well, you know . . .
My Garmin GPS device has a satellite “SOS” function. I think you might have to have the subscription to the satellite “messaging” service for it to work, but that might be something to consider. Gives you “text”, too. Like $12/mo for Basic IIRC.
I travel alone in the back country on foot and on George; I keep the satellite service enabled on mine, 'cause ya just never know when it might come in handy . . .
I’m pretty sure it doesn’t offer “fall detection”, tho.

I’ve tried a couple options and can’t find a good one. Best thing I’ve found is to text a friend and then text when off.

I ride alone all the time. It can be scary once the winter hee-haws are in full force.

1 Like

My Apple Watch has fall detection. I like others it does not misfire too often. Usually when I slam my hand/arm down on something while working around. I believe it learns as time goes by.

I’ve got a vivoactive 4 and it does have incident alert. I have triggered it twice - once when the horse I was on did a good, solid 30 second fullbodied shake. I didn’t realize it at the time, so wasn’t able to tell it I was okay and not to notify my emergency contacts, so I did get a call from my mom and brother…

The other time was after a show where I think my heart rate must have just skyrocketed. I was able to tell it I was okay though.

It has not triggered for any falls I have had, but I think it’s designed to wait a minute or two after impact to trigger and if you move in that time, it assumes you’re okay and doesn’t alert your emergency contacts.

It’s definitely not perfect, but it does give me some peace of mind

The Equilab App has a safety tracking feature, but it’s in premium so I don’t use it myself.

I have “Find My” active on my iPhone so DH can see where I am, and vice versa, but he knows roughly what time I’ll be home from the barn and will automatically check if I’m running late and he’s worried.