Unlimited access >

Famous Dressage Sires and what they throw...

Obviously some stallions are known for throwing different traits- like size, character, collection, etc.
In talking to breeders, reading articles, or looking through offspring I have heard or deduced things like Jazz throws a great trot (but is also hot), Ferro passes a great canter and ability to sit, Rubinstein known for character and rideability, Weltmeyer stamps foals with lofty slow tempo trot, but can also be more temperamental. I would love this thread to become a collection of what traits top stallions tend to pass on, or even links to articles on the subject. We will obviously get differing opinions, but it takes years in the business to acquire some of this knowledge- would love to see people sharing it. :slight_smile:

Top Dressage stallions from the WBFSH list (in order when averaged over past 12 years)…
Jazz
Donnerhall
Florestan
Gribaldi
De Niro
Michellino
Rohdiamont
Ferro
Weltmeyer
Rubinstein I
Don Schfro
Welt Hit
Sandro Hit
Come back II

FN top List 2014:
Lissaro
Vivaldi
Don Schufro
Floriscount
Furstenball
Damon Hill
Furst Fugger
Jazz
Breitling
Bordeaux
Rock Forever

Hanoverian Top list 2014
Floriscount
Furstenball
Florencio
Landontime
DiMaggio
Furst Romancier
Belissimo M
Don Frederico

found this from the deputy breeding director of the Hanoverian Verband…

Weltmeyer
“We find that Weltmeyer works well with mares with Thoroughbred blood, he has always worked well with Bolero, and he also seems to work well with Lauries Crusador. He himself is not a refining stallion and he is not a stallion to put longer legs on the offspring. Sometimes the walk could be better for the Weltmeyer offspring” Also mentioned in article is that criticism of Weltmeyer is always that the horses won’t collect, which to me makes sense when you see the giant stride and slow tempo on his babies. But he obviously produced GP offspring and adds power.

Lauries Crusador xx
“A Thoroughbred stallion like him who in the first generation produces Grand Prix horses, is very rare. He improves the frame of the horse. He puts on the long legs that we like, and the big shoulders that we hope from a Thoroughbred. What is also very important is the rideability of his offspring. They are very good in their mind, very co-operative, also good for collection. They have good movement and they are really trainable so the movement gets better under saddle.”

Rubinstein
“Rubinstein will be very important because we see the rideability and trainability of his offspring, they leave their mark at Grand Prix levels.”

taken from …
http://www.hannoveraner.fi/artikkelit/christmannstallions.html