Unlimited access >

Farewell, Digby! (Danish dressage horse)

What a sweet story!

It must be a very special feeling to ride a homebred to the highest level of competition and be on board for his last show.

"The 17-year old gelding Digby is a very special horse for Nathalie zu Sayn-Wittgenstein. She bred him and trained him herself up to Olympic level. They have been to every major championship for Denmark, twice at the Olympics, won team bronze in Beijing 2008.

Digby had been retired from championships already but was reactivated to support the Danish team in Caen after several other horses were scratched. His “very last” farewell show should have been at the end of the current season but has been put forward to WEG 2014 in Caen. The princess, niece of Denmark’s queen Margrethe, is expecting her second child in early February."

http://www.normandy2014.com/news/768/tearfull-farewell-tour-for-digby

yes, he was one of the greats, I think. Always put in a solid performance.

I was verklempt.

awww handsome fellow. I remember watching him go in the 2008 Olympics. Is he offered at stud? Can we expect his offspring to start making an appearance?

[QUOTE=Pony+ an inch;7733234]
awww handsome fellow. I remember watching him go in the 2008 Olympics. Is he offered at stud? Can we expect his offspring to start making an appearance?[/QUOTE]

gelding

Taking a homebred all the way to the Olympics and the WEG is quite an accomplishment, I hope Digby enjoys a long and well deserved retirement.