Unlimited access >

Farewell to Malibu Moon

This is sad- he seems to have been well loved, and will be missed!

3 Likes

very sad for the Spendthrift team and the families involved in his ownership. Not only was he a highly successful and sought after sire but beloved by his connections because he had such an admirable personality.

1 Like

Godspeed. What a lovely tribute in that BH article - you could really tell how much his connections at Spendthrift loved him.

This broke my heart. One of my favorite stallions after reading about him in Josh Pons Country Life Diary (I think it was).

Such a loss, my condolences to all his connections. It is obvious he was a much loved horse.

Run free Malibu Moon

Malibu Moon was loved by his connections for many reasons. His personality, however, was anything but admirable.

2 Likes

I really love that book! Wish we still got regular installments.

@LaurieB, guess he got the Seattle Slew temperament! Funny that Spendthrift’s stallion manager called him “Boo Boo”.

2 Likes

Can you expand on this? Genuinely curious. I’ve never met MM. I’ve worked with a few of his offspring post track and loved them, though.

This one hit hard. I met Malibu Moon my senior year of high school when he stood his first season at Country Life. Over the next 5 or 6 years, I had the privilege of working with a ton of his offspring from his first few crops. Foals, yearlings, race horses. Some of my favorite horses of all time are from those early crops.

We are lucky Mr. Hughes believed in him like he did.

2 Likes

He was a wonderful sire of racehorses, but he was also a tough horse with a tough temperament that came through in many of his offspring.

I was at a training center this morning. Several of us were standing in a barn talking. Another person came to join the group and the trainer immediately moved him saying, “Don’t stand too close to that stall. She’s a Malibu Moon.” We all understood what that mean: if you stay there, you’re going to get bitten.

2 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks for expounding.

A connection of mine posted that he passed. At one point she was part of his general care team network. She noted she was sad about his passing but he was also the horse who she had trusted the least in her entire career.

1 Like