Unlimited access >

Farm Names

Hello all! This is my first post on here. My husband and I recently bought a little farm and we are having a heck of a time coming up with a nice little name for it. It is only a smaller farm of 16acres, mostly wooded. We have 3 horses currently. It will not be a boarding facility of any sorts. It will be a private farm that I can train and practice with my own horses and possibly get a few greenies to train and sell as well. I would really like to stay away from having “Stable” in the name since I feel like that will make it sound like a boarding facility. I do enjoy “acres” “farm” “meadows” and those types of names included. Some other details I have about my husband and I include: he is a hunter; I compete hunter/jumper. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance!!

OK so we have:
acres
farm
meadows

its mostly wooded

you are both hunters, and you also do jumpers.

Are you east coast?, west coast? Is it hilly? or flat?, is there a stream or creek?

Are your horses bays? chestnuts? all sorts of colors? mostly TBs or wb? or sport horses?

Do you have seasonal weather changes? I am in Fl and there are really no seasons.

“Hill and Dale Farm”
“EQ Acres”
“Martingale Farm (or Acres or Meadow)”

I will think some more about this…And welcome to the boards!

I answered on your thread in HJ

Here is my reply from the other forums:

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;7853231]
A few directions to go in so that it’s not too generic:

Was there something about the farm that you totally loved that made you buy it? A charming yellow front door? (Yellow Door Farm) Blooming wildflowers along the driveway? (Wildflower Farm) Great dutch doors in the barn? (Dutch Door Farm)

Obviously this has its limits. No one wants to name their barn “Second Floor Laundry Room Meadows” :0)

Secondly, is there a particular feature of the farm that stands out? An old well? (Wishing Well Acres) A field overrun with clover? (Wild Clover Meadows) An old pasture fenced in original split rail fencing? (Split Rail Farm) A creek through the property? (Winding Creek Farm)

Think about what makes the place unique and special to YOU.[/QUOTE]

Ok so I should have clarified the hunter thing haha. He is a hunter as in deer, bear and turkeys haha. He just trail rides. Our land is completely flat and so are the surrounding areas. We live in Pa so we have all the seasons. We have 2 chestnut arabians and a black hanoverian thoroughbred. Thank you so much!

Well, you could borrow a name from “Auntie Mame”- “Upsom Downs”

–Leaping Meadows Farm (horses jumping over fences, deer jumping over anything- or into anything :smiley: )
–Point and Shoot Farm

I favor the farm names that describe some feature of the landscape; Windy Ridge Farm or Cedar Top Farm or Babbling Brook Farm or some such.

Stay away from “cutesey-poo” things like “Atlasta Farm” or “Shoestring Farm” or
other things that sound kind of backyardigan. :wink:

Falling Foliage Farm

Crap, I got nothing,… I will try again later.

That’s funny about the mixed up ‘hunter’! :smiley:

Stay away from “Windswept Farm”–I think I know about six of them and it’s tough to keep 'em straight.

I know someone who named his farm for a creek near his farm–Hammercreek Farm.

I know someone who named her farm for the birds which populate the vicinity of the farm–Killdeer Farm.

I know someone who named their farm after the name of the place given to the area for census purposes–not a real place–Dutch Hill. He raised and raced Standardbreds and all his horses had the Dutch Hill prefix.

I know of a “Peace Meadows”. I always thought that was a neat name.

I’ll never have a farm–if I did I would have called it “Makepeace Farm” after William Makepeace Thackeray, plus I’m big on peace! :lol:

You could name your farm after a favorite horse, or favorite person…

Just some things for you to think about…

I have had the good fortune to name two farms in my lifetime. The first was owned by my grandmother, and I was about 3 years old. I came up with “Black Walnut Tree Farm” because of the giant, ancient black walnut tree by the house.

Fast forward 40 years later, and we have giant, ancient sugar maples by our house. Yes, you guessed it – “Sugar Maple Farm”. I guess not much changes with me.

So, OP – got any special trees on the property?!

You’re welcome to an ancestral farm name in my father’s family. I always thought it was pretty- Valley Home. You could call it Valley Home Farm. Welcome and all best to you and your new farm.

Hollow Glen Farm is a name I always wanted to name a farm. Another cool name would be Stalking Horse Farm. I looked up the synonyms for hunter and Stalking Horse was one that was listed for a hunt horse.

Alternate opinion here, totally in favor of unique and personal names, and against farm names that are based on obvious natural features. They seem a bit too literal and don’t tell me anything about what’s important to you. Following that formula, my office desk could be named Stapler Potato Chip Crumbs Farm, based on a 2-second inventory of what’s in front of me right now. But it would be more interesting to figure out what it means to me. Like, Flying Leap Farm, because I’m still at my desk at 9:30pm and taking some big flying leaps, career-wise, that I don’t know how will turn out.

So, got a big oak tree up on a hill that’s special to you because you sit under it and daydream? Then personally I’d call it Dreaming Tree Farm rather than Oak Ridge Farm. Maybe do an exercise where you each have a piece of paper with these questions on it: What do you like about hunting? What do you like about riding? How would you want others to describe this farm? Set a timer for one minute, and each write down whatever random words and phrases that those questions call to mind. I bet those words/phrases would lead you to a very meaningful farm name.

We named our farm Settlement Farm. Some of the purchase price of the land came from a settlement from the title insurance company over a real estate deal that went south when the seller forged his soon to be ex wife’s name on the closing documents. :eek:
Real Estate law was made over that one.
Some people think it is because we settled here. Most don’t know the real story.