Unlimited access >

farrier schools

Looking for the best farrier school. Every website says they’re the best, more confusing the more I check out. Anyone who has an opinion I’d love to hear it thanks!

Kentucky, 5 star, heartland

The number of farrier schools in the USA has grown substantially in the last five decades. I recommend that you choose a top notch program affiliated with a university animal science or veterinary program. When I started out in the 60’s, the 2 best programs were at Cornell and OK State University. I wish I could offer some specific recommendations but I have been retired for some time. Good luck and keep your medical insurance current.

This might be a helpful website for you to look at it.

http://www.thefarrierguide.com/

And this was an earlier thread that might give you some ideas.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?441530-Top-farrier-schools

[QUOTE=eruss;7804918]
Kentucky, 5 star, heartland[/QUOTE]

Thank u for your opinion glad to hear from a farrier Kentucky seems like an awesome program but is definitely one of the most expensive I have a good paying factory job rite now but it’s not what I want to with my life I’d be happy making less money doing sum thing I enjoy I will look into 5 star and heartland more thanks for your time

There are a ton of schools for farrier schools hard to weed out the nonsense ones thanks for ur thoughts!

[QUOTE=Shammy Davis;7805543]
The number of farrier schools in the USA has grown substantially in the last five decades. I recommend that you choose a top notch program affiliated with a university animal science or veterinary program. When I started out in the 60’s, the 2 best programs were at Cornell and OK State University. I wish I could offer some specific recommendations but I have been retired for some time. Good luck and keep your medical insurance current.[/QUOTE]
there are a ton of schools for horse shoeing it’s hard to weed out the nonsense thank you for your advice.

[QUOTE=Shammy Davis;7806299]
This might be a helpful website for you to look at it.

http://www.thefarrierguide.com/

And this was an earlier thread that might give you some ideas.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?441530-Top-farrier-schools[/QUOTE]

Awesome website looking into it now great place for information greatly appreciated

Heartland.

Without naming any names, I’ll say keep away from any place that starts a new class every monday or tries to run a school in every state. Keep away from places that push certain fad shoeing methodologies. Try to find one that gets you under a lot of horses and helps you prep for certification.

Remember more than anything the place you go is a foundation. Is only a starting point not a finish line

[QUOTE=sonofasailor;7814527]
Without naming any names, I’ll say keep away from any place that starts a new class every monday or tries to run a school in every state. Keep away from places that push certain fad shoeing methodologies. Try to find one that gets you under a lot of horses and helps you prep for certification.

Remember more than anything the place you go is a foundation. Is only a starting point not a finish line[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true.

After you finish there you need to find a really good active farrier or two to apprentice with. There is where you learn not only how to put on a basic shoe, but also business sense, and thinking outside the box.

[QUOTE=merrygoround;7814793]
This is absolutely true.

After you finish there you need to find a really good active farrier or two to apprentice with. There is where you learn not only how to put on a basic shoe, but also business sense, and thinking outside the box.[/QUOTE]

That’s what my farrier does. He always has a couple of apprentices…when they’re ready they move on to their own clientele.

I will second the program at Heartland. Sessions are a bit shorter, not so much time on dead legs as Kentucky, they get the students going on real animals. Daughter attended Heartland, did the long program, came home with a good base of knowledge. Since then she has worked with other Farriers since, getting a bigger spread of knowledge in other breeds, their shoeing needs. You are tested right along in Heartland, need to meet the standards in knowledge and skills working steel, before you can graduate.

Going to any shoeing school, you need to immerse yourself into the program. Being a Farrier is plain hard work, which some folks just don’t understand going in. You have to do things over and over, to learn to do them correctly, develop your muscling to work as needed.