Unlimited access >

Fashion police please

So, went from a very dark brown horse, to an orange one. Was showing in dark brown chaps & hat, w/ deep brown saddle. Ranch riding.

I think the saddle looks fine on her, can’t afford to change it anyway. However, can I continue with the brown hat & chaps? or do i need to change to black? Kind of on the fence & can’t decide.

Opinions please, & if you have any photos of you showing a sorrel in dark brown hat & chaps I would appreciate it…

There’s nothing wrong with brown on a sorrel. I know of and see plenty of people riding in brown on sorrel horses in cowhorse.

8 Likes

Second this! Also see it in the RR.
You are totally fine in your brown.

2 Likes

I’m with the others on this. Brown is fine, especially in RR. I think it looks more workmanlike and less formal (for lack of a better term) than black. I have black and keeping them clean at a show is a nightmare. My friend has a sorrel and white Paint and wears brown chaps and I’m jealous.

3 Likes

I definitely think dark brown would be fine on a sorrel. Heck, it may look better on the sorrel than a dark horse. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Bud Lyon does it. You’ll be fine.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=734300922074114&set=pb.100064826375058.-2207520000&type=3

2 Likes

I personally think black looks a little “formal” for
ranch classes. I associate it more with horsemanship and pleasure. I think you’re fine!

2 Likes

IMHO the brown and earth tones look fantastic on a sorrel. And they are wonderful Western colors too. I would go for yellow browns over orange browns.

My chestnut Paint goes English and ended up with black tack but she looks fantastic in brown Western gear.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely fine with brown/earth tones on a sorrel/chestnut horse.

In a former life I kind of ‘wrote the book’ on what to wear in the western show arena, and i officially bless your dark brown on the new horse… in fact I quite like it.

Happy Trails, have fun!