Unlimited access >

Fat Ponies at USEF Shows

The US hunter show culture seems to favor horses who are overweight. Even in hunter breeding classes where the horses are developing youngsters and carrying extra weight has been shown to be detrimental to joint development and health this is almost always the case. It is unfortunate the culture does not always value a fit animal with the ribs just under the surface but rather enjoys the rounded soft look of extra fat. These horses can often also be quite fit but sometimes they are not and this is where the tragedy lies. They are performance animals and should optimally carry weight and fitness that supports the longevity of their bodies, health and career.

13 Likes

I would like to actually read the study for myself, because as phrased, I am skeptical. I find it absolutely within the realm of belief that ponies with a body condition score of 6, 6.5, even pushing 7 are scored well in a conformation class. But at first blush the conclusion that they are drawing doesn’t seem to have scientific rigor. For one thing, above 6–6.5 on that scale, the pony will have fat rolls or deposits to some degree and that would interfere with the judge’s ability to evaluate their conformation.

Absolutely, there are a lot of fat critters out showing. But to say that under this judging system the score in a model class could be improved by making a fat pony fatter borders on absurd.

3 Likes

Apparently the Brits have the same issue with their show horses and ponies. They’ve been trying to address it for years now. As they (and we) know, judges are the ones who can change things.

4 Likes

Maybe its just the article’s interpretation, but the study sounds a bit contradictory in its findings:

“The fatter the pony, the higher the score.” “She said the very obese ponies did not score very highly.”

4 Likes

Ding, ding. Also let’s not mention the fact that it’s virtually impossible to accurately body score a horse without physically putting your hands on them.

1 Like

Trying not to snark given this article is UK based…They’ve been talking about addressing their rampant fat show horse epidemic for years. I’d be curious to read the full study as well to see the actual evidence. I wasn’t at Pony Finals this year, but previously didn’t remember seeing an epidemic of overweight ponies. If this is an issue, maybe if USEF and USHJA wake up they might be able to course-correct before it gets to the level I’ve seen here in the UK.

1 Like

I suppose the journalist thought “The fatter the pony (except for ponies who are obscenely obese), the higher the score” just didn’t have the same ring to it :wink:

5 Likes

Admittedly I don’t hang around the pony ring THAT much and I never did THAT much… but I don’t perceive that ponies are materially different looking now as compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

Most ponies, unless on a very strict diet and exercise program are naturally chubby. Most of the pictures I’ve seen of show ponies, and cobs from the UK are fatter looking than any pony I’ve seen pictures of in North America.

1 Like

My pony IS on a very strict diet (dry lot, two slow-feed haynets and only enough grain to disguise her vit/mineral supplement) and she’s still chubby!

I was lamenting this a couple of days ago, and my lovely vet said (and I’m paraphrasing here), “If you have a skinny pony, then something’s wrong.”

4 Likes