Unlimited access >

Favorite bareback pads

I like to hack out on my gelding as much as possible and after two summers of doing so, I feel like my seat has really improved. I live in the PNW, so it rains three-quarters of the year and I’d like to continue riding out into the fall/winter but I am certainly not going to do it in my leather dressage saddle.

I’m thinking of getting a synthetic bareback pad or one of those Cashel soft saddles for trail riding in the rain and general schooling. I’d like something that provides a little extra security (something at least a little bit sticky, and maybe with contoured padding) and that (if possible) does not promote too much of a chair seat. I’m the size of a 12 year old, so I’m not that concerned with weight distribution. Any favorites/recommendations? I’m leaning toward the Best Friends pad but am pretty open to anything. My gelding has pretty well-defined withers, a bit of a dip to his back, and is very wide.

One of my friends has an awesome one, I think it’s the Tough 1 pad. Comfy, secure, I want it. My friend says she feels very secure, and it doesn’t slip. It doesn’t look like a typical bare back pad though.

Most of them I don’t think do very much except keep your pants clean. I would be very cautious getting a plain one with stirrups, as I’ve seen them roll.

I use a Skito Bum Buddy because it has foam inserts on either side which keep your weight up off the spine.

I have a Christ sheepskin horse dream bareback pad. It’s super comfortable but I wouldn’t use it in the rainy weather.

http://horsedreamimporters.com/bareback.php