Favorite breathable long sleeve, turtle neck riding shirt?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a breathable riding shirt that has long sleeves and a turtleneck? I appreciate the 1/4 neck style that many brands offer, but I prefer to ride with the shirt fully zipped up and ultimately would prefer no zipper at all.

TIA!

Solid Citizen Equestrian makes the Haley in two different styles/fabrics–I have a few and they’re nice sun shirts, though the original Haleys (more compressive material) seem just a tiny bit heavy in super hot muggy weather for me (I’m in the mid-Atlantic where summer can be swampy). They’re also not as forgiving to lumps and bumps as some other sun shirts, but they look very nice and tailored.

2 Likes

I wear the Uniqlo heattech turtlenecks for winter, fall and spring. Great to layer but breathable! The fancier ones I’ve been eyeing are these from Kismet: https://www.tacknrider.com/shop/kismet-turtleneck-shirt-uv-with-thumbhole-alexa/

Love that they have perforated and non perforated options.

2 Likes

Hadley zips all the way to the top, closing the turtleneck. The ones I’ve bought are extremely light, but durable, as is needed in the climate where I live. They have been worn almost weekly for over a year and look nearly new.

1 Like

My favorite slightly warmer ones are the $7 baselayers from 32 degrees. I’ve stocked up on these in both the mock neck and the crew, they’re super soft and stretchy and great for layering.

My favorite thin/warmer weather ones are the Kismet. The non-perforated ones are a silkier, smoother fabric (which I like a bit more) but the perforated are def extremely breathable.

6 Likes

If you are looking for something warm but breathable (for cold weather) I like UnderArmour as a non-equestrian brand. I live in the Canadian prairies (AKA very cold) and I ride in my UA tops a lot. This one is very warm but still breathes:

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions! I just put an order in for a Kismet shirt and am quite excited for it to arrive. :slight_smile:

Do you find these to be super long? I always tuck in my shirts and can’t stand it when there’s a bunch of extra fabric bunched up in my breeches :laughing: The pics show them to be almost thigh length!

I need some more mock necks. I really like the TKEQ ones, though I haven’t yet splurged on any.

1 Like

They’re not as absurdly long as they look in pictures, I think they pulled that thing down as far as possible in the pictures for whatever reason. :joy: I wouldn’t mind if they were a couple inches shorter but I too hate super long shirts to tuck in and they’re not THAT long.

2 Likes

Haha good to know - I’m off to order a couple :laughing:

Smart wool base layer is my winter go-to for cold weather exercise including riding. Zip neck so you can snug it up or open the neck if you get warm.

1 Like

I also tried few of the 32Degrees shirts this winter and have been pretty impressed with the price. They’re not as warm as say, UnderArmor, but they’re also a lot cheaper. They’re good as a baselayer under something else, and are soft and have been washing and wearing well. I’m tall, so I like that they’re actually long enough to tuck in, and stay tucked in when riding–nothing worse than that icy cold air gap at the small of your back!

7 Likes

I love the 32 degrees turtlenecks for winter, either as an underlayer or with a vest over the top. They’re super lightweight and stretchy, and you can barely feel you’re wearing them.

1 Like

Same. Love the 32 degrees baselayers.

1 Like

I found one of the 32 degrees baselayer shirts with a scoopneck in a thrift store this fall. Last week I finally had a chance to wear it and it was really comfy and super warm as soon as you put it on, just like my very old spiderweb-like silk liner it was replacing. It is a bit long but tucking into winter tights isn’t an issue; with regular breeches there would be some lumps.

1 Like

I have Solid Citizen Haley as mentioned above: https://solidcitizenequestrian.com/collections/shop-all/products/haley-the-turtleneck-sunshirt

Maximilian Equestrian https://maximilianequestrian.com/products/long-sleeve-base-layer-hunter-green

I love both - they are thicker than Kastel Denmark shirts - but also equally unforgiving if your sports bra is too tight or if your tank underneath rolls up

See, now I love that these are a bit longer (not ridiculously!) because I hate having shirts that pop out of my pants in back!

2 Likes

Checking in with a 32 Degrees review - 10/10 highly recommend their lightweight base! Caveat: I haven’t washed them yet.

Anyways, they’re not astronomically long like the pics appear, and they’re super soft! Maybe not as thick and structured as the TKEQ but not flimsy or see through at all. The lightweights are definitely shoulder season weight but I get hot so I like a lighter base to go under layers.

I also got the midweight fleece base and I like that too! It’s TOASTY, but shorter in the arms and body. Totally fine, the sleeves come down to my Apple Watch or gloves, but if you have long arms like me YMMV.

Anyways, for $7 each, and free shipping at $32 or whatever, totally worth it. They look just like the $70+ team apparel and $100 TKEQs, just without the logos. I’m sure the durability won’t be as good, but my wallet says that’s fine for now.

3 Likes

Not specifically a riding shirt but WoolX makes a mock and a full turtleneck and their fabric is wonderful, soft, not itchy, and doesn’t ever stink. I’m hooked for base layers and hoodies; my D wears their wool leggings to class (college) and under her breeches for riding.

1 Like

I’ve washed mine tons of times and thrown them in the dryer, and they come out looking like new.

2 Likes