Unlimited access >

Favorite Breeds?

[QUOTE=quietann;7488266]
So much depends on what you want to do with your horse. Me, I’m a Smurf and will always be one, so I really don’t care about FEI quality gaits. I want a horse that can do a lot of different things reasonably well, has a good brain, and is fun to ride. I’m short, so I don’t want a huge horse.

I got all of that with my Morgan mare Feronia, so much so that I just bought another Morgan, a 2014 filly this time. If all goes as planned (a big if) the filly will be coming along as a riding horse around the time the mare needs to be retired.

The dressage trainer I’m working with right now told me yesterday that of the horses she currently rides, Feronia is by far the most fun. Not always easy, but fun. When I’m showing, it’s more likely than not that I will get a comment from the judge about how well-suited my horse and me are… One went so far as to say, “I wish all those ladies struggling with big hot WBs would just go get themselves a sensible Morgan like yours.”[/QUOTE]

Oh my, she’s CUTE!

Well…my n is 1, so take it with a grain of salt…

I love my draft cross (perch TB). Good motor, good mind, great heart. He’s smart, sweet, fun on the ground AND under saddle, easy gaits to learn on (and a really nice canter!), forgiving, but a bit hot and loves to perform. He’s independent and secure, not herd bound or crazy at all. Very looky but reassured and not stupid. Just curious about the world :). He rises to the occasion…but his personality is the key.

People have speculated about his breed at shows. I’ve heard everything from Andalusian to WB to others, depending on how he behaves.

He will never have the fancy gaits, and I’m completely fine with that. I can’t ride them anyway.

[QUOTE=carolprudm;7488549]
Oh my, she’s CUTE![/QUOTE]

Well, yes. But aren’t most baby horses cute?

I have friends who think I’m nuts for buying a baby. But this is a baby who comes from good using versatile Morgan lines, and her breeder (3rd generation in her family breeding Morgans) is known for foals with really nice temperaments and she does a LOT with her babies, so they are well-socialized and have a lot of experience with stuff early on. Basically the only way to get one of her horses is to buy a baby. She’s also really good at starting youngsters under saddle, so my baby may go back to her in a few years.

This baby in particular has been pretty unflappable from day one, prefers to canter rather than trot (important with sport Morgans), and loves people.

Well pics of my three boys are in my signature. A QH, a Friesian/App cross, and a Trak, so I run the gamut.

My QH was a great all-around guy. He came from foundation lines and it showed. I did everything from trail rides, to H/J, to finally dressage with him. He pretty much topped out at first level, so that started me on the hunt for something I could go further with.

My Friesian/App is a wonderful soul. I bought him as a coming yearling. He has such a great mind and could probably get to third level with no real issues. Unfortunately, I moved for grad school and left him in PA. He’s now with the trainer who initially broke him in her therapeutic riding program. And he’s being broke to drive (finally!). I still ride him when I go home for a visit.

My Trak is a special one (in more ways than one). He has the talent to go pretty far, he’s just stubborn and wants to do things his way. Despite that, he’s a total love bug and is pretty level-headed. He’s reactive but not hot. His attitude reminds me a lot of my QH. I’m definitely his person.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get another Trak or a Friesian cross. So many wonderful characteristics in both breeds that I just love.

I have always loved TBs and they will always be my go-to horse. Incredibly smart (which is both good and bad), with a lot of heart and a good go button. It’s also easy to find a nice one for a good price.

However, I’ve decided my next horse will be a Friesian or Friesian cross baby. I just adore their temperament and they are just plain gorgeous!

It used to only be an old fashioned American TB (bigger bone) person, but since I took a risk and bought a complete unknown (in my world), add the Welsh Cob Section D to the list. The TBs I have loved I wouldn’t necessarily call ammie horses, nor would I consider my Cob an ammie pony.

I like them VERY smart and sensitive, so that doesn’t always mix very well with riders that think they are smarter than the horse or have rough aids.

Both have a HUGE amount of heart and I would trust then with my life once trained.

That said, I have ridden many WBs, QHs and various crosses that I really liked, but that was always on an individual basis.

Georgian Grande - a pretentious name for a good draft cross. Mine are Saddlebred x Percheron in the case of two; Saddlebred x Clyde/Hackney/TB in the case of one and who is also by the same sire as the first two; and then I have a Friesian x Percheron cross arriving next month. I’ve had all different sorts of horses but love the Draft crosses for their big sturdy good looks, sweet natures and willingness to do anything you ask. I am eventing with mine. I do have a Dutch warmblood mare by Damiro who I adore as well. Sweet as the day is long. They’re all on my Facebook page; just go to the Albums. Link is in my sig. Cheers!

My all time favourite horse is a Trakehner x TB… She’s a total b*atch but I loove her. She was the first horse I ever cantered on, jumped with, and then first xc. She’s retired and making beautiful babies now. I also find that other babies by her sire (Carino) are stunning.

Okay. So I’m a little warped: Even my truck’s vanity plates are HT4SPTS (Hot for Spots).

I’ve owned pure TB, appendix QH (7/8ths TB), I’ve ridden Arabs, WBs, (large) ponies, TWHs, cutting-trained Paints, and a whole slew of “who knows” type school horses (we’re talking 1950s in San Francisco), retired polo ponies, etc.

But since 1977 I’ve had Appies. Now I mean REAL Appaloosas (not “Quarterloosas”). I mean Foundation/Foundation cross bred horses. The first two were straight Foundation, and were eventers. They were wonderful. I was hooked. The next one was racebred and while he wasn’t the greatest mover for dressage (he’d been bred to be a hunter/jumper), he always gave of his best and was the sweetest horse I’ve ever owned. I started him eventing, he didn’t care for it, though he did it, then we did H/J, and eventually just dressage.

The horse I have now is purpose bred for dressage - but he IS an Appaloosa, albeit an Arabian cross. He’s 16.2 (his Appy dam was HUGE and she was Foundation bred).

So, in not so short, I love Appies. I love the color. I love the quirky personalities; I love the knowing look they give you [“You want me to WHAT? Why? Really? Uh-huh. Okay. Got it.”], I love their toughness and soundness (present horse has been barefoot all his life). Now, present horse is, as mentioned, half-Arabian, so he’s not quite the unflappable mount his predecessors were, but he’s talented and he definitely gives of his best (when not distracted LOL!!)

I love my “mutt”. She is a KWPN X tb/perch. She is gorgeous, has 3 very good gaits, is forward thinking and athletic, smart as can be and a complete love. She seems to have gotten the best of all of her parentage and I pinch myself every day that I get to be with her! http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg533/sweet2lula/adalengthening1.jpg

I also have a SWB mare who I adore- she is one of those know-it-all mares who requires some good negotiating skills, but man she will give you all she has if she likes you. She is more fragile than the cross and not as talented, but she has taught me so much. You would never guess her breed! http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg533/sweet2lula/DSC_2968.jpg

I love my girls!

Well, if you’re going to go warmblood you may as well go Canadian. As in Canadian Warmblood. :wink:

In love with my two. One is substantially dutch warmblood with a dash of TB; the other is almost 100% holsteiner, tiny dash of TB and Hannoverian, yet somehow his “blood” is about 45%.

Both are scopey, amazing jumpers… with the movement and mental predisposition to enjoy dressage. The holsteiner X is a wonderfully moving horse, Olympic level dressage riders have commented that he is a horse they would love to ride him. Amazing temperament - when the going gets tough he just hunkers down and tries even harder. Has jumped 4’6" as though it’s a crossrail (I don’t know how I stayed on??). Sire is Indoctro so you know the jump is there. We dabble and enjoy - could go much further with a pro but I’m enjoying the journey.

I’m another Irish fan. Especially for eventing. They are consistently in the top rankings. I also like them for dressage. A number of stallions (and statistically a very high number of total stallions) are or have shown at 3rd+. Bridon Beale Street RID evented to 1* level and is making his debut at PSG in a week. This my filly which I have listed for sale but am hoping to keep as my dressage horse if my gelding sells http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9IPe8s95E

Simbalism - we would get on splendidly!! If you come to BC look me up!
If you like puttering around try the competitive trail or just do a clinic.
I also did a police horse training course and have the certificate to prove it!
Just for fun, and to broaden my horse’s base of education. I used to love everything to do with riding, now not got the drive so much. But my horse still has to be versatile and able to do it all.

My horse’s half brother is an ISD and he is awesome, too.

Hey THANK YOU 4wdNstraight! You know I do have two for sale :winkgrin: Seriously they aren’t for everyone but obviously I’m madly in love with them.

I think they are super cool exvet! I would like one to add to my collection. However, I have realized that I can’t ride more than two and my old guy doesn’t want to retire. I was going to buy my DD (who is3) a large pony so I could sneak another one by the hubby. Not sure I’d be any good at sharing once the time came to hand over the pony! I will pass the word in my area as I often hear about people looking for a great partner in a sporty package.

Without a doubt, a Friesian Sporthorse! Who wouldn’t want one of these :slight_smile:

LIPIZZAN. No question!! But I also love WBs, especially Hanoverians.

My two favorite breeds come from seeing them being ridden beautifully when I was a little kid and and having that sort of “belief-in-magic,” childlike response to what I saw.

[QUOTE=horsetales;7489346]
I’m another Irish fan. Especially for eventing. They are consistently in the top rankings. I also like them for dressage. A number of stallions (and statistically a very high number of total stallions) are or have shown at 3rd+. Bridon Beale Street RID evented to 1* level and is making his debut at PSG in a week. This my filly which I have listed for sale but am hoping to keep as my dressage horse if my gelding sells http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9IPe8s95E[/QUOTE]

And Angus http://www.kinsalefarms.com/

and
http://www.pairadoxfarm.com/page/page/2683048.htm

I don’t event, but did use to do hunter/jumper and I adore a good TB mare for that sport. I had a couple and they were fabulous! Now that I’m a para dressage rider, I prefer morgans. I have a foundation mare and a gelding and are as different as night and day. The mare could be purpose bred for dressage, although she is from western working lines. My gelding isn’t the most conformationally suited, but he is the biggest trier ever and is the best. But, if a great moving warmblood came along in my (very low) price range, I would probably jump all over it.

I really don’t a have a breed preference. I have ridden dressage on warmbloods, QH, Arabians and my wonderful TB. I would rather choose the horse that is right for me-SANE SANE and a babysitter! LOL :lol:

If I went back to eventing…TB or an Irish x-just love them! Again I want something that is going to babysit my a$$.:slight_smile: