Unlimited access >

Favorite Breeds?

[QUOTE=carolprudm;7487485]
Irish Draught x

Interestingly Carl Hester was commenting about short cannons being found to be desirable in dressage horses. Short cannons are part of the ID breed standard.

Sophie at her inspection
https://plus.google.com/photos/103406099668134314917/albums/5462609142849098097?banner=pwa

Please don’t call her a warmblood though even though she is supposed to be 1/4 Trak. Traditional Irish breeders don’t care for the continentals.[/QUOTE]

Carol! There is an Irish Draught in my barn that looks just like her!! Sophie is gorgeous!

TB! Even if I really wanted a WB, I couldn’t afford one. Lucky for me, my favorite breed is dirty cheap :smiley: He WANTS to have a job, which is great. I like good work ethic!

His least favorite phase is dressage, but when he’s in shape he’s decent and will improve with my improved riding (learning to sit back more and ride correctly…it is a process.)

Flatwork

Flatwork part 2

Stadium

XC

Conformation

He’s pretty versatile in all three phases, but he much prefers XC.

[QUOTE=exvet;7487752]
Welsh cob and morgan the all-rounders that can suit an ammy with realistic ambitions ;)[/QUOTE]

I love this because I bought my current dressage Morgan as a long yearling with Ammy ambitions of Second Level (a former eventer going to the dark side do dressage). He’s 11 now and we just debuted at PSG with. 66.7%!! They’re like a lot of “off breeds” with finding good lines and suitability, but MAN! Are they a blast to ride! :slight_smile:

ANGLO ARABIAN

In tune with their riders.

Determined to please their riders.

Athletic.

Excellent gaits.

Versatile.

Beautiful.

Willing.

7290 Tiny SHIH dessage WEB.jpg

TC best crop.jpg

Gator - Farnam Gamblers Choice_Images_0354-009-14SA.jpg

IMG_1882 WEB.jpg

VinnieUS.jpg

[QUOTE=JumasMom;7492186]
I love this because I bought my current dressage Morgan as a long yearling with Ammy ambitions of Second Level (a former eventer going to the dark side do dressage). He’s 11 now and we just debuted at PSG with. 66.7%!! They’re like a lot of “off breeds” with finding good lines and suitability, but MAN! Are they a blast to ride! :-)[/QUOTE]

/waves hi to JumasMom

(Feronia and Juma have the same sire and came from the same breeding program :wink:

Oldenburg, KWPN, Westphalian. Don’t have much experience with Hanoverians. Conflicted about Trakheners.

Andys/Lusitanos can’t be beat for ride ability, temperament, and lateral work but unfortunately it often comes at the cost of quality of gaits. I definitely will have one as my retirement horse and very much enjoy the ones I get to hop on now and then. :wink:

I am a big supporter of OTTBs, and would love to see them utilized more in the dressage world at the lower levels (or as far as they will go!). Hate seeing 2nd level ammys on a big fancy WB they can’t sit when they could be giving a lovely OTTB a great home.

As much as I love me some WBs, I LOVE to see “off breed” horses kicking butt. I think it is great for the sport for every breed to be showcased.

I’m a VLL (very low level) dressage rider and I love my TBs.
Their body type suits mine (I prefer narrow horses), I love the classic look and, above all, I love the brain, heart and bravery of a good TB. They learn fast and they don’t forget. They take care of you.

Although I think it’s harder to fake it on a TB (they seem to take a longer time, sometimes years of correct work, to get the topline installed), maybe that’s a good thing. Although it’s a minus in the show ring, they also have a plus factor: even when green, all three of mine regularly gave me 130% at shows, taking it upon themselves to make up for my nervousness and failure to ride like I do at home. They are that smart.

For Dressage, I like Morgans, Welsh Cobs, Hanno’s and Trakehners.

I like Morgans for their disposition and natural graceful expressive movements. Welsh Cobs are pretty hardy and do quite well in the dressage ring.

I like Hanno’s because they rule when it comes to Dressage; I love their big movements. Trakehners are a bit smaller - kind of halfway between a Morgan and a Hanno.

[QUOTE=Scandias;7493748]

I like Hanno’s because they rule when it comes to Dressage; I love their big movements. Trakehners are a bit smaller - kind of halfway between a Morgan and a Hanno.[/QUOTE]

? I’ve seen Trakheners from 15. 2h.h. to 17.2 h.h., most in the 16 hands to 16.3 range. I’ve seen Hanoverians pretty much in the same range. Granted, there is historically more Arab and TB in the Trakheners, but “smaller” isn’t what I’d generally call them. There are/were four Trakhener bred horses at our barn: one 15.2 h.h., another 16.1 h.h. and the third 16.3. The fourth horse, a Hanoverian/Trakhener (reg. Oldenberg) is pushing 16.2 at age 5. A friend’s purebred Trakhener stallion was nearly 17 hands and not lightly built.

[QUOTE=Scandias;7493748.

I like Hanno’s because they rule when it comes to Dressage; I love their big movements. Trakehners are a bit smaller - kind of halfway between a Morgan and a Hanno.[/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: Tell that to friend with the 17.2 Trak mare, or the breeder with the 16.3 Trak stallion And interestingly while they include only occasional Arab, and TB in their stud line, they are in many of the other WB stud books.

IMO, there is no real difference between Hanoverian, Oldenburg, Westafalen, Hessen, etc. horses so if you love one of those “breeds” you love them all:)

Trakehners and Holsteiners have a different genetic base. Dutch horses have a different genetic pool although greatly utilize the blood lines of the Hano/Old/West horses.

So, having said that I love the bloodlines of the Hano/Old/West/ etc horses, but love the Hanoverian registry so stick with them. However, recently I have been attempting to utilize Trakehner and maybe even Dutch blood lines into my breeding program for the traits that they can add.